Author Topic: Panoptix Livescope or Livevu? Whats the difference?  (Read 25669 times)

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Panoptix Livescope or Livevu? Whats the difference?
« on: Dec 05, 2018, 04:41 PM »
The Panoptix Ice Bundle says it comes with LiveVu forward and down, but I see videos on Livescope tranducer. What is the difference?  $1499.99 for Livescope system. LiveVu included in ice bundle with chartplotter and accessories for $1800. Not sure what direction to go?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panoptix Livescope or Livevu? Whats the difference?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2018, 04:51 PM »
Panoptix is the first release of Garmin's new technology.  The transducer can be used in "down mode" livevu down or in "front View Mode" by turning the transducer.

Livescope also has both Down and Front views but is a newer technology.  Here are two videos that will show the difference.

Here is a video that has BOTH on the Garmin screen at the same time. Panoptix is top left. Livescope is the top view on right.

1. Basic Panoptix

2. Livescope

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:38 PM »
Hi jerry,
Funny you asked. There is another thread about this and I was asking the same question as you last night. The more replies, the  more confusing it got, so I called the Garmin  help desk this afternoon when  I got home  from  work

I wanted to know if Garmin  offered the panoptix ice bundle with the livescope transducer and he said no, not at this time.

I asked why and he said that the livescope  'ducer is not designed for temps below 32 and to use it for ice fishing would void the warranty. ( right now some genius is writing a reply to let me know that water under the ice is warmer than 32  but everyone over the age of 10 already knows that)

He said that is why they don't offer livescope in the ice bundle, but to put your own package together you could order a  echo map plus in a 7 or 9 inch screen, plus the livescope ducer. Its just that no warranty on the livescope  if used below 32.

Hey - if you call the help desk tomorrow  and talk to a different rep  you might get a different  answer, but that was my answer direct from Garmin this afternoon.  I hope this helps. I know it sounds odd.   

I am going to wait until I run a cross someone on the ice that is using one of the darned things. Then I will Get a real sense  of how they work  i have a hard time imagining watching a school of crappies swimming arround looking like those perfectt you- tube video clips

But if it really does that you can  be sure that I will soon have one !!. 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Wow, this is the first I’ve heard of it being not rated for the cold, interesting.

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Seamonkey,

It sounds crazy to me  too.  I think I am going to hold off a bit before I get one.   The livescope  seems like the way to go if I'm going to spend that kind of money.  But if they won't rate it for ice fishing right now I will just wait u til they do.  Techno.ogy is  going to get better and cheaper.
WHY would a computer chip care what the temp is, anyway ?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:32 PM »
To correct about water temp.  It can be below 32 degrees.  LOL...only that genius trying to tell you about water under ice is above 32 degrees...LOL.

What ever temp is water temp...(get my pun there)  is what's in the water...like dissolved trace minerals and salts or natural antifreeze (glycerin).  Or if the water pressure is high enough to affect it, it may not freeze/thaw at that 32 degree mark.  It's a bit off topic now.

I do wonder maybe the wiring or other components on the livescope transducer is not rated for cold temps at this time.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:37 PM »
Seamonkey,

It sounds crazy to me  too.  I think I am going to hold off a bit before I get one.   The livescope  seems like the way to go if I'm going to spend that kind of money.  But if they won't rate it for ice fishing right now I will just wait u til they do.  Techno.ogy is  going to get better and cheaper.
I haven’t used the livescope yet, but would love to try it. The live scope shows amazing details, and can show structures and possibly any movement inside it. the current panoptix ice package will also show the structure, just not all the details and the fish inside it. Any suspended fish seem to show up just fine with the regular panoptix. Also, because it’s not scaled as accurately as the live scope, the marks pops up better visually, at least when seen in the videos showing the color schemes that are usually shown. Because the live scope scales the image more to give details, you’ll need the bigger screen to see the images clearly. With livescope, a 10” fish will be harder to see when your viewing a wider/deeper area, while the regular panoptix shows that same fish as a slightly bigger blob.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:10 PM »
Seamonkey,
  Techno.ogy is  going to get better and cheaper.

Technology getting better and cheaper don't go together at all.  Fa
ct is technology improves and price point stays relatively even.
A top of the line PC in 1993 (when I started in that industry) was the same price as a top of the line PC made today.  I'm now out of that industry.
And computer chips very much care what the temp is.  Not so much while in operation but being cold (off line) and then hot (on line) is not so good.  The contraction/expansion can be bad.  Not in all cases but some for sure.
Live scope and panoptics (or similar technology) will likely come down in price - but, most likely there will be something better when it does.

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:02 PM »
Thank you all for your replies! Very helpful!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:02 PM »
I asked why and he said that the livescope  'ducer is not designed for temps below 32 and to use it for ice fishing would void the warranty. ( right now some genius is writing a reply to let me know that water under the ice is warmer than 32  but everyone over the age of 10 already knows that)

He said that is why they don't offer livescope in the ice bundle, but to put your own package together you could order a  echo map plus in a 7 or 9 inch screen, plus the livescope ducer. Its just that no warranty on the livescope  if used below 32.

He's an idiot...they have the same specs.

PS22

Livescope

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Hahaha, so what if you fish opened water and hit a time and spot of 31 water....boom warranty voided...

I never got a bad rep when dealing with customer service.....

Sounds like the op found the one Garmin csr that should look for a different profession.

Offline Dfftabu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:14 PM »
I built a Livescope set up for the ice and I have been using it for a couple weeks.  It works great!  Very happy with the results!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Hahaha, so what if you fish opened water and hit a time and spot of 31 water....boom warranty voided...

It won't be liquid at 31! Livescope would be the least of the problems.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:33 AM »
I can attest to Customer Service reps giving the wrong answer. All my examples are with Humminbird. Not picking on them just I have a long history with them dating back to the old CH30 paper graph.

Had a bad ice transducer that I bought new. Was trying to use it for fishing off a dock in open water season. Called CS told her what was going on. She assured me the lake needed to have ice for the transducer to work. After a brief argument with her, she flagged down someone a little more knowledgeable and arrangements were made for replacement.

Next one I was selling an 1198 C Humminbird on another site. One of the interested buyers asked me to confirm that it was the HD. I replied all 1198C are HD. He swore up and down Humminbird CS told him to ensure it was HD. Only the 998's at the time were designated as HD for the led screen and non -HD for the CRC screen.

Called with a question about the Quadbeam transducer. CS assured me that Humminbird never did make such a thing. Even when I told them I was holding it in my hand. To be fair it was a legacy transducer and they were never trained about it. Still it just proves the point that faulty info can be passed on by employees.

In summation all my training in electronics. Heat was always the limiting factor rather than cold. Those big fans and blocks of aluminum inside of desktop computers. Are designed to get rid of heat . So I would doubt that the CS rep was right in this case.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.