The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Anchors  (Read 2764 times)

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice Anchors
« on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:49 PM »
For those of you who have portables, how do you keep your house from flying away?   I know there are many ways to skin this cat but I wanted to hear about the different options.  I have yet to test the system I devised.  I have a two straps that I attached to ice screws, and I super glued two strap cam buckle on to the sled.  I don't think the super glue will last but in theory I think it's pretty slick. 

Offline Rio252

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Anchors
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2009, 02:03 AM »
I simply drill holes in the plastic and slip a 12 in piece of small diameter rope in and tie an over hand knot so it doesnt slip out and then a loop knot to attach to the ice anchor. Keep the anchor ropes short! The best screws I have found were tapered point and had a t-bar handle coated with red rubber. I found them at Big Bear.
NCarcr8

Bullelk34

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:40 AM »
Gamedog-

Great avatar! Those audio clips are the best!

"Laterz"

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:46 AM »
please put pictures in. I use a screw right now but the pvc one sounds quicker just would like to see to make sure what I am doing.   :-\
Gator Nation

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:49 AM »
MY 700 LB 4 WHEELER MAKES A PRETTY GOOD ANCHOR...

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:34 PM »
I bought the anchors with the nylon straps and plastic "snap buckles" that screw to the sled.  A couple of seasons ago, a wind with 30 to 40 mph gusts snapped one nylon strap off the screw on the sled and broke the buckle on the other.  Led me on a merry chase across the lake.  Fortunately, it was just Castle Rock and not Fort Peck or Tongue River.

Anyway, I still use the anhors as they are self tapping and seem to hold in the ice really well.  However, I drilled two holes in the back lip of the sled and then ran a rope with two loops in it up through one hole, across the back of the sled, and down through the other hole.  I screw the anchors in, put the loops on the anchors, and push the sled to remove the slack before freezing the sled down.  I have had no problems since going this route.

If that is too confusing, I will try to get pictures sometime.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2009, 03:55 AM »
I also use the clam anchor screws and strap/buckle system.  My pak shak III withstood 60mph straight winds on Holter New Years Eve Day.  Well, at least the anchors held, the tent was really scary.  I do predrill with a cordless and a 1/4" bit and they go in pretty good.  I used to use 3/8" x8" Lag bolts with washer and S hook, predrill and drive in easy.
Dave
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2009, 04:13 AM »
A true ice anchor that won't ever let you down is made thus: Cut pieces of 2"x2" (2"x4" or whatever) wood that are wider than your holes. Get a 3' piece of (nylon)rope. Drill a hole in the wood to accomodate the diameter of the rope. Pass an end of the rope through the hole and tie it off. Go fishing. Drill a hole. Push the piece of wood lengthwise down the hole, and then turn it horizonal under the ice. You should now have a piece of rope that comes up through the ice that you can tie off to, that is attached to a piece of wood that is wedged under the ice. The hole will freeze which means that you will have to cut the rope (cut it as short as possible, so you aren't leaving extra on the ice). Cheap, one-time use, no fail.
You don't need these for all your tie off points. Just the crucial ones. Use ice screws for the rest.
I usually make a batch of these and keep two in the sled for those real bad days.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:19 AM »
that sounds like a quick easy one.
 :thumbsup:
Gator Nation

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:42 AM »
A true ice anchor that won't ever let you down is made thus: Cut pieces of 2"x2" (2"x4" or whatever) wood that are wider than your holes. Get a 3' piece of (nylon)rope. Drill a hole in the wood to accomodate the diameter of the rope. Pass an end of the rope through the hole and tie it off. Go fishing. Drill a hole. Push the piece of wood lengthwise down the hole, and then turn it horizonal under the ice. You should now have a piece of rope that comes up through the ice that you can tie off to, that is attached to a piece of wood that is wedged under the ice. The hole will freeze which means that you will have to cut the rope (cut it as short as possible, so you aren't leaving extra on the ice). Cheap, one-time use, no fail.
You don't need these for all your tie off points. Just the crucial ones. Use ice screws for the rest.
I usually make a batch of these and keep two in the sled for those real bad days.

I think this idea is simmiliar to what Gamedog does with PVC pipe except I think he retrieves his completely and it can be reused...

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:35 AM »
lol...you better have a Shaquille Oneill wingspan to do that in Iowa.....30" of ice...almost need an extension.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2009, 04:09 PM »
I think this idea is simmiliar to what Gamedog does with PVC pipe except I think he retrieves his completely and it can be reused...

Trust me. If its at all cold, you're not getting it back. Its frozen in.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2009, 04:11 PM »
lol...you better have a Shaquille Oneill wingspan to do that in Iowa.....30" of ice...almost need an extension.

Use you're auger to shove it down the hole. A little jiggle and she flattens out underneath. Hold on to the rope.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:27 PM »
I would avoid the glue route - no way this will hold in any kind of wind.  Even with solid ice anchors you must be vigilant - I saw my screwin-type ice anchors bend under a heavy Eastern MT wind a few years ago.  Never heard of screwin-type ice anchors bend before (they are made to rappell from), until I actually saw it happen. 

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2009, 04:00 AM »
Never happened yet ???
If you can get a tip-up out after being out overnite, these are no different.

I hereby retract my statement then.

Offline Ice Freek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:14 PM »
I need to get some of those, I went surfing on Beaver Creek last week setting up the shack I bet I went 20 or more yards while trying to set it up! had to put the 4-wheeler in front of it to get set up and froze in!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.