The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Favorite Lake in Western Montana...  (Read 1126 times)

Offline king_jay85

• IceShanty Rookie
Favorite Lake in Western Montana...
« on: Jan 13, 2009, 01:18 PM »
Hey everyone,
I love to ice fish as do we all.  I was just curious so see what lake / lakes are your favorite to ice fish and why.  For me, I started up on Georgetown when I was smaller, so I guess it's kind of a special place to me thinking back to all the memories...  I really enjoy catching the salmon there, mainly because they taste amazing, though it kind of seems to me like the salmon fishing has been getting slower over the years.  On the other hand, you never know if you're going to pull up a big trout (rare, but fun when it happens!)  Thanks guys, hope you gain as much from this post as I do!
On a Fishin Mission!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: Favorite Lake in Western Montana...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2009, 03:01 PM »
that's a tough one... I like different lakes for the different species of fish they have...

...and there are sooo many I haven't fished yet....verdict is still out for me...

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:55 PM »
I lived in Libby for quite some time and started ice fishing there. My favorite there in those days would have to be Crystal because the Kokes used to be huge! When I moved from there in 98 I would have to say Upper Thomson because the pike were starting to do pretty well. Now that I am in Anaconda I would have to say GTown. I had quit fishing all together for a few years but started ice fishing GTown and now am hooked again.

Offline MSU Jay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:20 PM »
Mine has to be Smith lake outside of Kalispell. There is not many lakes where you can consistently catch pike all day.

Offline king_jay85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:14 PM »
I went to upsata lake and caught my first pike through the ice on a tipup (awesome experience). how many pike do you catch on avg. per day at Smith lake?  what other fish are in there? I suppose you use tipups there?
On a Fishin Mission!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.