The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Thompson Chain of Lakes  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
Thompson Chain of Lakes
« on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:47 AM »
Anybody been there or live there?  Was going on Saturday. With all this rain I wonder if there is any ice left?  Need ice condition report, please.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Stephan_K

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Thompson Chain of Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:11 AM »
Haven't heard anything lately.  Call Snappy's... they have ice reports for quite a few lakes in the area and last I looked at their chalk board a week and a half ago, upper and middle had ice.  Maybe they have an update.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2009, 02:12 AM »
Thanks Stephan, we are going to lower Thompson on Sunday.  Our Plans were for Saturday but I need 1 day to recover after our Duck Lake trip on Friday.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:49 AM »
I know this does not help much now as you are probably already out there. Might help someone else who wants to go out there. Went to Upper Thompson yesterday (Jan 10) with a couple of friends from church. Ice was in 2 layers but was still good all the way through. 12" total thickness. Take your ice cleats though as there is no snow on the ice and you could play hockey on the lake. We caught loads of perch, 2 pike, and one way spawned out salmon. We brought home 64 decent sized perch and let go probably 3 times that many. Fun day on the ice.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2009, 05:54 PM »
I went out there today and the ice is white the first 3 1/2" to 4" then 3" of clear ice below that.  That's the thickest ice I ran into.  There is water and some slush on top but not much.
I fished as deep as 32' and as shallow as 4'.  Water is really clear below the ice.  Drilled only 34 holes and could see fish in everyone of them but could not get them to hit.

The wind was steady but not strong enough to blow away buckets.   Not even the wind had a bite to it.  Well my wife thought the wind had a bite to it as you can see in the picture.  But she makes a great guard dog for my auger.
The Derby is next weekend and I hope I do better.  I may hit the Middle Thompson a few more times this week.

wish you many hook-ups

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:57 PM »
What were you after Quanto?  Perch, Kokes, Pike, Trout???

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:28 PM »
 perch and rainbow.  And I saw the perch, rainbow and 1 small pike through the holes.
wish you many hook-ups

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.