The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Helena Area Fishing Reports  (Read 9083 times)

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
Helena Area Fishing Reports
« on: Dec 28, 2008, 08:57 AM »
Been to the Holding Reservior, ice is 6 to 10 inches and the fishing is really slow, not many blips on the vex.  Was at the Causeway yesterday, ice is about 10 inches and the fishing is not good.  Talked to three guy there and they had been fishing since 6:30 am until about 1:00pm and never got a bite with 18 poles in the water.  Anyone been to the Silo's area???

Bullelk34

Re: Helena Area Fishing Reports
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Was he in the main lake there near the bridge? We never had much luck there, if you head down towards the power lines it gets better though it is quite a haul.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2008, 11:20 AM »
was around the silos the last 2 days. fishing was amazing, catching was horrible however. got about 6 bites in about that many hours yesterday. even less bites the day before.  all told about 4 perch in 2 days, and a few trout.   Ice was a good 14 inches!  several trucks on ice, and countless ATV's.  LOTS of people (not catching anything).

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2008, 02:24 PM »
Thanks for the info perchhogslayer.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2008, 02:54 PM »
How far out are the trucks going off hole in the wall???

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2008, 07:09 PM »
How far out are the trucks going off hole in the wall???
saw trucks going north all the way to the pressure ridge. apparently the ridge is un-passalbe, even by ATV? just what I heard.  and the trucks were just about in the middle, out from the silos.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2008, 07:42 PM »
Thanx for the info Im going out thursday,if you see any trucks fall through between now and then please post! ;D

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2008, 08:25 PM »
Hello all we fished off hole in the wall yesterday.  Started about a mile off shore in 42 fow caught 3 perch and a couple other bites.  Moved into the pressure ridge and fished for 4 hours with one bite.  Then moved back towards the boat ramp and fished till dark with not a bite.  Saw very few fish on the vex or the aqua veiw pretty crappy day.  Nonya there was five ATV's that crossed the pressure ridge with no problem.  Good luck.

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2009, 10:52 AM »
Bump.  Update, the holding reservoir is still slow. one salmon and one ling while fishing for about 5 hours.  Any update on other Helena areas?

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2009, 06:24 PM »
We hammered the perch in 21feet of water today at the silos.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Fished the Helena Valley Rec area not to long ago and only got one Salmon, so it was slow.  But I want to figure it out.  We were there all of 1/2 hour and we got the one.  What was interesting is that when I got it I was watching the Vexi and the bottom half (bottom 20 feet of water) was totally blacked out.  I thought the Vexi was acting up but I raised my jig out above the cloud lowered it back in and BAM.   I guess where I am going with this is I wonder if there are peak feeding periods or how do the Koks move.  I found on Hell of a drop of from like 16 feet to 40 fow in a matter of just 10 yards or so.  Anyway, Im rambling but I want to figure these guys out and want to stick some koks in the smoker.  If anyone was going out there I'd love to hook up.  Drive a maroon dodge 2500.  Live in Bozeman so it takes a bit to get up there

Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2009, 02:22 PM »
Nonya,

Were you out by hole in wall or closer in?? Just a question cause we wanted to take a couple of kids out this weekend and I think that would have a ball catching some perch out there.

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2009, 02:51 PM »
Fishinwithbrittanies  I'll be at the holding res. on either Saturday or Sunday.  Look for a blue ford ranger and a green team otter shanty.  Will be at the silos one of those days also.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2009, 06:37 PM »
Straight out from the west ramp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2009, 10:56 PM »
Ah Gee babba,
should be out that away sunday looks like.  Got some home improvemnet tomorrow morning and I'm going to stick close and fish tomorrow afternoon.  I plow snow so all plans can evaporate in a heartbeat.  If I can make it I'll give the shanty a knock
My names joe by the way

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2009, 06:57 PM »
Fished North of the Silos today(saterday, Jan 3) and also tromped out near the pressure ridge. Jigged small pink, green, and silver jigs, tipped with maggots or shiner heads and tails, to little succsess. A couple bites but nothing to the top. Arrived at around 8am and left around 4pm. Beautiful outing under Edith and Baldy. Hope for a little more luck next trip!

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:24 PM »
The holding resevoir is still slow.  Talked to an elderly gentleman today who was surveying fishman as they left the ice and he said that noone is doing any good there.  Looked for you Fishinwithbrittanies, you must not have been able to make it.  Maybe another time.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:14 PM »
Hammered the perch again on CF,21 feet of water,saw lots of suspended fish on the screen,probably walleye.

Offline IceRuki

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get busy living, or get busy dying...
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:37 PM »
We spent the day at Causeway and only got a few bites right before dark, then nothing after that....ice was about 16" in most of the spots we were at about 80 yards out from the parking...didn't sound like anyone was doing that well when the surveyor came by...maybe next week!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:51 AM »
Yeah sorry about that.  Never got out.  I went out Saturday afternoon and it was bubcus on Hyalite.  The home improvement project(which I'll still be working on today) took longer than anticipated......much longer.  Are you ever free during the week.  Days when it doesn't snow i can go just about anywhere so long as there is nothing on the honey do list.

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:17 PM »
Fishinwithbrittanies, sorry I can't do weekdays, still have to work (for a few more years at least).  Maybe a weekend after the salmon start biting.  I'll let you know when that starts. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2009, 06:52 PM »
I sure would appreciate it.  Talked to a guy when I was out there and he said January/February things pick up.  Don't really know but Id like to hook up.  Let me know and we can get together

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2009, 07:48 PM »
Does any one know how spring meadow is fishing  ???
Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:24 PM »
Does any one know how spring meadow is fishing  ???

went out the other day and caught several small bass and one dink perch.  I didn't try for trout, but they generally bite all the time out there.

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2009, 04:46 PM »
Bump; Anyone out there have some up dates on the Helena Area (besides today's paper)???  Beulller?  Bueller?  ??? ??? ::)

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2009, 04:56 PM »
Fished Spring Meadow multiple times in the past week.. Perch bite has been slow for me, catching only a few smaller ones... Trout have been steady for me on west end of lake.

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:49 PM »
BUMP
The Holding Reservoir has not been good for salmon (yet).  However I fished yesterday the 19th and got a mess of ling (Burbot) in a couple of hours. Started fishing at 8:30 am and the bite stopped about 10:30 am.

Offline Bowhunter4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's always somethin'
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:46 PM »
Ah Gee babba,
Where were ya catching the ling been wanting to catch a few for my self havent done it for a while could use some help Thanks Bowhunter4Life. :tipup: :tipup:
Rooney

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Fished spring meadow for about 4 hours on Saturday and didn't even get a bite seen a couple of trout on Aqua-vu. Ice is 4-6 in weak ice but still safe.
Also went to Causeway on Saturday for 2 hours caught 2 trout
Sunday at the Causeway Caught 5 trout other people caught fish to. 
Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Bowhunter4life, If you just go anywhere near the dam off the main parking lot, you should be ok.  Everyone around that area were catching the ling.   :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.