The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New To Montana  (Read 4087 times)

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
New To Montana
« on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:54 AM »
Just moved here last year and love to ice-fish, more like an obsession. Just looking for some pointers as i dont know much about these waters out here. I did learn yesterday that Ennis lake is a waste of time

TIGHT LINES

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: New To Montana
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:06 PM »
Just moved here last year and love to ice-fish, more like an obsession. Just looking for some pointers as i dont know much about these waters out here. I did learn yesterday that Ennis lake is a waste of time

Try Hebgen for Browns and Bows!!!

iceandwiskey

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:45 PM »
I was in your same position a few years ago.  I also moved out here from MI.  I am by far no expert but I will try to help you.  Well first off the fishing is a bit diffrent here than back home!!!  I grew up 2mi from Flechers Flood Waters and I sure do miss the pike fishing!!  But you can still have a lot of fun ice fishing here!!  Canyon Ferry is a decent place to go,  you can spend the morning fishing for some perch and walleye.  They are not hard to find, just follow the crowd...  you just drive to the silos and get on the lake there,  just get to the ice go out and left...  you should see some people.  You fish for them just like you know how.  Then in the afternoon after the perch fishing slows down (if it does or if it was going at all) you can see a crowd of people off to the right of were you got on the ice...  they are fishing for trout.  A little diffrent than you will be used too but none the less fun!  To get started you just need to set up some jigging poles on rod holders with a jig/fly tipped with a maggot.  Drop it down to about the middle of the water column and sit back a drink some beers...  Colors and actual depth I am not sure of but anybody out there will let you know what is working.  Another lake that is close to Bozeman that I like to go is Daily LK.  Some days it is a great place to be and others well...  most of the time you can get there early in the morning and by noon you will have enough peach for a good meal.  (FYI not yesterday!)  I think you will be fine!  You are in the right place for information there are a lot of guys on here that know what they are doing!  I have yet to pull a pike through the ice here but I am making it a goal to do that this winter so I will be trying all the "close" pike waters this winter.  Well good luck to you and let me know if I can help you with any questions

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:51 PM »
I was in your same position a few years ago.  I also moved out here from MI.  I am by far no expert but I will try to help you.  Well first off the fishing is a bit diffrent here than back home!!!  I grew up 2mi from Flechers Flood Waters and I sure do miss the pike fishing!!  But you can still have a lot of fun ice fishing here!!  Canyon Ferry is a decent place to go,  you can spend the morning fishing for some perch and walleye.  They are not hard to find, just follow the crowd...  you just drive to the silos and get on the lake there,  just get to the ice go out and left...  you should see some people.  You fish for them just like you know how.  Then in the afternoon after the perch fishing slows down (if it does or if it was going at all) you can see a crowd of people off to the right of were you got on the ice...  they are fishing for trout.  A little diffrent than you will be used too but none the less fun!  To get started you just need to set up some jigging poles on rod holders with a jig/fly tipped with a maggot.  Drop it down to about the middle of the water column and sit back a drink some beers...  Colors and actual depth I am not sure of but anybody out there will let you know what is working.  Another lake that is close to Bozeman that I like to go is Daily LK.  Some days it is a great place to be and others well...  most of the time you can get there early in the morning and by noon you will have enough peach for a good meal.  (FYI not yesterday!)  I think you will be fine!  You are in the right place for information there are a lot of guys on here that know what they are doing!  I have yet to pull a pike through the ice here but I am making it a goal to do that this winter so I will be trying all the "close" pike waters this winter.  Well good luck to you and let me know if I can help you with any questions
thanks for the info. i never did make to fletcher for pike, which is a sin, but the ole man still talks about wanting to do it so maybe next winter i can get home and make it happen. been to canyon ferry once this year did ok with the bows. i go to hyalite once a week at least cause i have a sweet honey hole there at daybreak. if ya are ever looking for someone to fish with let me know

TIGHT LINES

Offline hunterdan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2009, 03:16 PM »
Maybe us Michigan boys should get together and go fishing.We have been here in Bozeman for two year in may.My wife and I have a house on the south lake in Curtis MI.

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2009, 03:43 PM »
yeah that would be fun for sure. what lake do you have a house on?

TIGHT LINES

Offline hunterdan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:25 PM »
We still own our house back in Michigan on the south manistique lake in Curtis. :tipup:

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2009, 10:31 PM »
We still own our house back in Michigan on the south manistique lake in Curtis. :tipup:
Thats great! My parents have a lot of friends in Gulliver. I've been on one of those lakes when i was younger a few times.

TIGHT LINES

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:19 PM »
I live in bozeman, and usually fish by myself. If you want to go, I usually go every weekend, and some evenings after school. I was up at hyalite tonight and did alright, have you ever fished at bair reservoir?

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:23 AM »
I live in bozeman, and usually fish by myself. If you want to go, I usually go every weekend, and some evenings after school. I was up at hyalite tonight and did alright, have you ever fished at bair reservoir?

no, i've never even heard of bair reservoir. i go up to hyalite on the weekends first thing in the morning, just seems to be best time where i fish. I'm looking at doing some fishing this Saturday for sure, just haven't decided where yet.

TIGHT LINES

iceandwiskey

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I'm game!  We should all get together and do some fishing!  :tipup: I work 6 days a week but I try to make it out every Sun. and I could fish Hyalite some evening after work also. 

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:34 PM »
I'm game!  We should all get together and do some fishing!  :tipup: I work 6 days a week but I try to make it out every Sun. and I could fish Hyalite some evening after work also. 
[/quote
i,ve never had much luck up there in the early evening bt i have heard of people going out at dark and staying for a few hours and doing pretty good. I don't work much right now due to going back to college so i'm pretty open.  :tipup: ;D

TIGHT LINES

iceandwiskey

« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2009, 01:06 PM »
I have had my best luck at night...  We should try to get out the end of the week if that works for you. 

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:39 PM »
I am up for going any time on the weekends and afternoons, just name a place and time.

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:32 PM »
i'm actually headed up to hyalite this afternoon. maybe an hour or so. thinking about going again on friday afternoon depending on weather.

TIGHT LINES

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:48 PM »
Ennis lake isn't really all that bad for ice fishing. There is usually a crowd of older guys that fish next to the bridge there that always catch there limit. Try there with pimples about a foot or two of the bottom as close as you are comfortable getting to the open water. Another good place are the pond next to the mall. They have Perch, Bass, Trout and Sunfish. They are really easy to catch and the hatchery lets a lot of big old fish go in there. The pond of Griffin is also pretty good for the same fish along with suckers add in.

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:37 PM »
 i was thinking about going on friday afternoon too, although i might run up there tomorrow too. I drive a sliver 05 dodge dakota, and i tote a big black sled, and a red collapsable, though i havn't been using it lately because it has been so nice. stop over and say hello!!

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2009, 02:10 PM »
i was thinking about going on friday afternoon too, although i might run up there tomorrow too. I drive a sliver 05 dodge dakota, and i tote a big black sled, and a red collapsable, though i havn't been using it lately because it has been so nice. stop over and say hello!!
i went up yesterday evening and didnt have so much as a bite, pretty discouraging. My name is Brent by the way.

TIGHT LINES

iceandwiskey

« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2009, 02:18 PM »
You guys want to give it a try tomorrow night?  I have some drywall work to do tonight at home but I think I should be able to go Thus.

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2009, 02:37 PM »
i'm working tomorrow night so i can't. was thinking about maybe going friday.

TIGHT LINES

iceandwiskey

« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2009, 03:01 PM »
I was thinking about going to CF Friday night for Ling but I might just do that tomorrow?  I will let you know after I talk it over with the lady...

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:30 PM »
well i would be down for CF friday night to do some ling fishing, maybe you could show what that is all about?

TIGHT LINES

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:56 PM »
i went up tonight and got one cutty. I was only there for like 2hrs, and caught the one i did right away. I would go anywhere friday, and back to hyalite tomorrow. My friend might want to meet up @ Ft. Peck though, so if he does, i might head over there friday afternoon. I was thinking i may even fish tomorrow morning from sun-up to 11, i have 1 class at noon.

iceandwiskey

« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:31 PM »
Well I am going to try to catch some Ling tonight if anybody is intrested...

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2009, 02:52 PM »
what time are you going to go?

iceandwiskey

« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:19 PM »
I want to leave about 4 but I am open.  Let me know, I will buy gas and drive.

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:27 PM »
i have never fished for ling before, what do you use for bait? i would like to go, my name is James by the way... i have to finsish a project yet today, but might get it done by 4.

iceandwiskey

« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:32 PM »
I am not the best at it but, I'm sure we can figure it out...  Tip-ups/rods  and cut bait?  I am sure someone on here can give some pointers.  I think the main thing is being were the fish are.  We can leave later if need be.  I sent you a e-mail.  I am going to leave work for a few and head to sportsmans for some bait; I hope, they might be out no big deal we can get some in Townsend.

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:01 AM »
hey there guys I'm  from mi also would not mind hooking up with ya and catch some fishes! thinking about trying for some perch at the Derby on sunday ;D
(PATHFINDER)

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:38 PM »
I don't know about icefishing on Ennis Lake, but I put my canoe in there 20 years or so ago and the SW side was all real shallow with sediment.

Try the bar/restaurant at the base of Norris pass on the South side (McAllister?).  They have burgers and steaks to die for.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.