The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Seeley Pike on Ice tourney ends.  (Read 2515 times)

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Seeley Pike on Ice tourney ends.
« on: Jan 18, 2009, 02:24 PM »
Well our group of 4 was skunked for Pike. We did land a 4-5 lb Bull trout on smelt, but that was the only fish landed by us all weekend. We had lots of flags on Saturday and not a single flag on Sunday. I even had one rip the tip up line right out of my hand while I was dropping the smelt down the hole. Just could not seem to hook them up. Was a great time though. Heading out to Lake Inez tommorow for some perch.

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Seeley Pike on Ice tourney ends.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2009, 03:08 PM »
Any word on a winner? Or any other folks getting on something bigger?

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2009, 04:53 PM »
Last I heard a 13lbs was in the lead but weigh in is till 5:00 pm. My son was too cold too stay on the Lake fishing any longer this morning, and as slow as it was I sure was not going to argue with good football games on today. The same guy in first was also in 4th.

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2009, 01:59 AM »
The winner was right around 13 lbs.  I had 7 fish over the weekend, but both my best were at 6 lbs. and change.  I wasn't spearing though, and as far as I could tell, my fish held up better than any others that weren't speared.  Didn't get a single pop-up bite, and took every single pike I caught on jigs (mostly perch and hot perch Chubby Darters).  Had a pike that would've topped 20 in my hole for 10+ minutes this morning torturing me, but he wouldn't do anything but stare at my jig from 6 inches away... Had I been spearing, I could've won the contest.  Next year I'd like to see them do two categories, because there's simply no way to compete if you don't spear.

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:23 AM »
Well my group of 5 got skunked as well with only 3 bites and did not see a thing down the hole. We were lucky we even made it to Seeley. A geo metro crossed the yellow line and almost wiped us out and then wiped out the 4 wheeler trailer. I am really glad the my husband straps the wheeler down good or we would have lost that as well. The good thing is that no body got hurt.

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:20 AM »
Saw the geo metro on highway 200 while going to upsata looked like it wasnt their best day. Glad you weren't hurt.

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009, 01:10 PM »
glad to here no body got hurt.

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Thanks guys I am glad nobody was hurt either. We drive a GMC Sierra 3/4 ton HD pickup. If we would have actually hit him head on it would have been a pretty bad deal.

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:13 PM »
Wow, close call. Glad everyone is OK. Wish you would have caught some fish to make the trip worth while. I will do some talking with Toby and see if we can get the rule changed for next year and have different categories. I agree, its hard to compete with the people spearing. I would like to try spearing myself sometime, but I just cant bring myself to do it for a tournament. Im a die hard hook and line guy. Does anyone come hear for the Mr Pike tourney in June? If so let me know. No spearing allowed then. ;D I know this is an ice fishing forum, but I have more input on rules for the Mr Pike tourney than the Pike on Ice tourney. Also there are way more sponsers and more money involved in that one.

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:23 PM »
A good time was had by all and in my book that is better then catching fish. We started coming up last year for the Mr. Pike and I caught my very first and only pike in the tournament last year. Again not alot of fish but a good time was had.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:55 AM »
Thanks guys I am glad nobody was hurt either. We drive a GMC Sierra 3/4 ton HD pickup. If we would have actually hit him head on it would have been a pretty bad deal.
The would have been cleaning those people up with a spoon and a sponge, Geo Metros are all plastic! 

Hope to see you this weekend at CF!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:49 AM »
Check all these great pictures out from the "Pike on Ice" tourney....

I think our very own IceChick made it in One if I'm not mistaken....

http://bigguys.zenfolio.com/p373748822

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2009, 12:05 PM »
Neptune,

You are completely right they actually did get a picture of me. Too bad I was not holding any fish but we had smiles.

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:52 PM »
Which picture is it? Im in the background of one of the last one with the young kid walking up to the scales to weigh his fish. Im the big guy in the gray jacket with the camo pants.

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2009, 02:06 PM »
169 I am in the red suite my husband is beside me in a red suite as well.

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:31 PM »
I appear in name only on the chalkboard.  Whoops, guess I'm in #200.

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:59 PM »
Mines #209. How much lead is in that plastic bag with that fish you weighed in lamnidae? Just kidding. Glad you were able to catch something. It was kind of neat to catch that big of a Bull trout out of Seeley though. We are not used to that large of trout out of this lake. Now Holland Lake has some monsters though.

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2009, 05:50 PM »
I just weighed the plastic bag to see the combined weight of the fish I'd kept that day. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.