The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Headin' to Smith lake on Saturday...  (Read 888 times)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Headin' to Smith lake on Saturday...
« on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:36 AM »
I'm Heading to Smith Lake on Saturday.  Never fished it but everyone has been telling me the small to medium size pike are fighting to get on your hook, so I'm taking the kids and the wife for some fun.

Any suggestions on where to fish would be greatly appreciated...

Also anyone else interested in meeting up there just PM me....

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Headin' to Smith lake on Saturday...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2009, 03:35 PM »
I have never Ice fished it but I have fished it in the summer. We always started straight out from the bout docks about 50 yards and then worked our way back east along the weedline. Nobody ever seemed to fished the shore weeds for whatever reason. There were always some people fishing from the dock that caught an occasional pike also. If I wasnt fishing the Seeley Pike tourney I would meet you there. But I am here this weekend.

Offline Will_hunt_4_food

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2009, 03:36 PM »
I'm Heading to Smith Lake on Saturday.  Never fished it but everyone has been telling me the small to medium size pike are fighting to get on your hook, so I'm taking the kids and the wife for some fun.

Any suggestions on where to fish would be greatly appreciated...

Also anyone else interested in meeting up there just PM me....
Hey Neptune...if you don't mind let me know how ya did and what the ice was like. I would like to take my son up there tomorrow afternoon. I have never fished it before but have always wanted to.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2009, 08:05 PM »
Smith lake trip was a bust!!!

Saw one fish iced, never got a bite or saw a fish on the video camera.  Couple guys said they caught 2 or 3 fish each, but I never saw them.  I think the fishing pressure from the Smith Lake Family Derby and the Perch Assault has the lake a little off balance at this point.  Ice was 15" thick and solid, making lots of Pops and groans(it was growing today)....

Hope you have better luck than I did...

Offline Will_hunt_4_food

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2009, 11:08 PM »
Thanks Neptune. I may just stay around here and hit crow reservoir. My brother was out there today and did pretty well on rainbows.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.