Author Topic: Panoptix  (Read 11239 times)

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
Panoptix
« on: Jul 28, 2019, 06:32 PM »
Looking to hear from anyone that has the Garmin Panoptix livescope and used it for ice fishing.  This is an expensive piece of electronics but is it worth it.    I primarily fish for panfish crappies/bluegills.  Does your small tungsten jigs show up easily?  I have a FL18 and a 8.  Just wanting to know your thoughts if the $1,800 price tag was worth it for you.

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Panoptix
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2019, 11:48 PM »
I purchased a used Garmin Panoptix Ice Bundle at the start of last season. It was definitely not a need; however, it changed the way I approached my time on the ice. I used the unit for a variety of purposes including finding structure, following schools of fish, and quickly identifying and moving on from dead water. As I like to stay mobile on the ice, the latter really helped me maximize my time and helped me avoid drilling tons of unproductive holes.
I most often used the Panoptix when fishing water deeper than 10-15 feet. Any shallower, and I had difficulty identifying bottom-hugging or suspended fish. In addition, I often used my Vexilar in tandem when fishing with the Panoptix. Because the unit is somewhat cumbersome to schlepp around, I found it easier to first locate a school with the Panoptix, and then use my Vexilar to catch the fish. An alternative would be using the Panoptix with another angler, whereas one guy would locate the fish (e.g. 40 feet out) and another would quickly drill holes in that area to stay on top of the fish.
I had no problem seeing tiny jigs (i.e. 2.5 mm to 4mm) with the Panoptix. In addition to seeing your jig, you're also able to see from which direction the fish are coming. This turned out to be an advantage when drilling holes.
As I mentioned before, the Garmin Panoptix is not necessary for catching fish. I see the Panoptix as a tool and not as an end all be all. After all, one still has to use their mind in becoming a good ice angler. I fished for many years without any type of electronics and did just fine. I justified the high price of the unit by my time and enjoyment out on the ice. Ice fishing is my passion, and Lord willing, I hope to continue enjoying this sport for many years to come. The Panoptix definitely enriches the ice fishing experience and helps one be more efficient with quickly finding fish.

Online Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2019, 07:27 AM »
It would be the very rare Livescope user that would say it was not worth it, it was to me. There is a learning curve, but there were so many of these units put in use this last winter that information is now easily available (join a couple of the Facebook user groups and learn from others).

You mentioned the $1800 dollar figure.  Are you refering to the Garmin ice package that is about that price?  If so, that is Panopitix only, it does not include Livescope, the Livescope users have put their own ice package together (not difficult).  Feel free to ask questions, there are several other Livescope users on this site.

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2019, 10:46 PM »
Sky wagon
I thought the 1800 ice bundle included a 73cv battery ps22 transducer, Gs transducer.  Basically everything for LiveScope??? Am I needing another item?

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2019, 10:58 AM »
The ps21/22 are the first generation panoptix, the Livescope is the lvs32 and requires a black box processor to feed the head unit.  A kit option isn't available for the livescope, but it is super easy to setup.  I feel it is worth every penny, way better value compared to early SI.   

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2019, 10:58 AM »
I'm currently in the mode of attempting to justify one.  to myself.  My partner and I explore a lot of new waters almost every year.  we are real good and efficient.  We drill hundreds of holes looking for fish. in our area fb page, someone will often post who is this and show a picture of a hundred holes drilled out in a pattern.  most know who it is.

We are both heavily involved in our childrens lives and time on the ice and/or water is limited so if we didn't have to drill 100 holes that would be greeeaaaaat. 

We've watched all the videos and it appears that it would give us the ability to cover a ton more water much more efficiently than wearing out our batteries and gas.   

I'm hoping to see a price drop but i doubt it will happen.

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2019, 11:12 PM »
Thank you very much.  I thought both systems were the same.  I have watched numerous hours of YouTube on what I thought was all one system. 

How well does the lvs 32 and a black box system hold up on a 9amp hour 12v battery? 

I was previously looking at buying my brothers 7607 xsv head unit and pairing it with a PS22 since that is what the ice bundles were coming with.  Not knowing that livescope and panoptix were different.  I can get the head unit for $400 used.  So it stills puts me at 1900 if I buy an lvs 32 and black box. 

Online Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Just got back from the cabin....  The Livescope will only work on certain head units, so you will need to research to see if your brother's 7607 xsv will work, I know with the 93xsv it must be what they call the "plus" unit version or it will not work with Livescope. I would suggest you call Garmin to verify.  A heads up, many people that originally bought the 7" unit got rid of them in favor of the 9".

An 9 amp battery will not be enough to power the head unit and Livescope for any great length of time (the Livescope is the big power user). There are different options, many are running 2-10 amp lithium batteries, some are using single 20 amp lithium and others are rigging up high amp 18 volt lithium drill batteries.

Seach the internet for how to put together a portable Garmin Livescope ice fishing package, it will help you get a feel for what the different components are.  There are a few used ice fishing packages for sale that people have put together on the Panoptix ice fishing and Livescope Facebook sites.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2019, 03:17 PM »

This shows the difference between the ps22 and live scope pretty well. I have the ps22 ice package, and got a spare trolling motor bracket and a pvc pipe so I can move it from boat to boat during the soft water season. The ps22 has a hard time seeing smaller jigs past 50ft, and fish detection is iffy past 70ft unless your talking about big laketrout or tarpon sized fish.  Switching the lead battery out with a lithium was the first thing I did.
The biggest advantage to using panoptix while actually fishing, is you notice how many fish come to check out your bait or lure but wouldn’t show up on even a 20 degree transducer, especially trout! 

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 06, 2019, 07:47 PM »
I spent about 3 hours watching YouTube videos this morning and looking around the internet.  I think I have a game plan of what I am going to do.  Livescope and LVS 32 transducer. The 7607 xvs head unit will work for livescope per GArmin website.   Up in the air for battery source.  Debating in between a single battery and then having a secondary parallel string to charge/plug in when you find fish and setup.  I am not really digging the total weight of what this thing is going to weigh in the end but if you keep it in the sled and then run the cable to the transducer. ??

Online Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2019, 03:37 PM »
It is not too difficult to carry it short distances, somewhat awkward with the pole, but not that big a deal, or course depending on your state of health.  Besides the pain of hooking-unhooking the cable, I would have some concern that if you plug it in all the time (especially in the cold conditions it will be used) that the life expectancy of the cable ends will not be great. 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2019, 10:18 PM »
When there’s snow on the ice, I just keep the unit in a small sled and carry the pole with the same hand as the strap to the sled. I keep my drill auger and rods in the sled too so run and gun is very simple. 

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2019, 03:06 PM »
What is anyone using to power the livescope on the ice?  The gls10 and the transducer use 58 watts and the 7607xsv uses about 25 watts.  That is a lot of power being eaten up.

Online Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2019, 06:14 AM »
2-12 volt 10 amp lithium batteries with the 93XSV and Livescope, lasts all day.  If I was to do it over I would go with the new 27 amp that is now available.  Make sure whatever you end up with, that they are a lithium battery.

Offline Big_Al

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 2019, 06:51 AM »
Dakota Lithium just released a 12v 23ah battery for $229. That would avoid you having to make your own oarallel wiring harness and having a longer run time than 2 - 10ah's

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 12, 2019, 09:41 AM »
You might consider rigging a drill battery to provide a bit of modular redundancy while on the ice.  I use the Milwaukee fuel 12 ah batteries;  I can run a bit over 10 hours with that.

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Aug 18, 2019, 08:59 PM »
Why go with lithium vs sla batteries. 

I run desalt for my drill setup now.  Does anyone run livescope with dewalt batteries?  How long does last with 5ah batteries.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 19, 2019, 02:32 PM »

I run desalt for my drill setup now.  Does anyone run livescope with dewalt batteries?  How long does last with 5ah batteries.

If you can tap out of them @ 20v, I'd say just about 5hours runtime per battery. 

I'm not sure if aftermarket power outlet adapters are available for the 20vmax batteries that you could maybe modify, but I'm sure I could get 20volts out using a modified USB Power Source - part DCB090.     

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Aug 19, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Amazon has a product by Terrafirma Technology that taps out @ 20v.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2019, 03:29 PM »

Lithium has better performance in cold temps, and they are a lot lighter in weight.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2019, 09:23 AM »
What is anyone using to power the livescope on the ice?  The gls10 and the transducer use 58 watts and the 7607xsv uses about 25 watts.  That is a lot of power being eaten up.

We're having an energized outdoors group buy starting on Saturday. I'd go with one of their batteries. I am running 2-10aH wired in parallel. I'll be buying a 12aH to throw in that setup and put the extra 10aH in my camera to lighten that up!

Livescope is absolutely insane. I haven't had it on the ice (just got it in June), but it has blown me away in the very limited time that I've had it on the water.

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2019, 02:44 PM »
Winterbuddy

I just received my 20v adapter from Terrafirma.  I tested with my volt ohm meter and was receiving 20 v out of the outside 2 pins.  I think this is the route that I am going to go with for the time being since I already have the batteries for the dewalt.  I bought my head unit used for $400 7607xsv.  The GLS10 and the LVS32 I bought seperate and saved a lot of money on instead of buying together in the bundle.  I bought  a Nanuk 908 box to put it all in for now.  I will try and get some pictures posted as I build this thing.   

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2019, 11:20 AM »
I'm in the process of building out my own Panoptix kit but haven't decided which ducer to get (either Panoptix or Livescope).  I will use this set up exclusively for ice fishing and would like to hear opinions.  The Panoptix ducer is $999 and I assume they will get cheaper this year with Livescope coming out hard and heavy.  The Livescope ducer is $1499.  I will be pairing this with an Echomap plus 73CV control head.  For those with Livescope are you finding it to be worth the extra cost/equipment/battery drain?  Thanks for any input you can share. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2019, 11:41 AM »
The fact the ducer of the livescope doesn't need to be adjusted like the older panoptix is the biggest difference outside of target display performance.  Essentially, you can fish with livescope setup in forward mode, you can't really with a PS22 setup.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2019, 11:58 AM »
I'm in the process of building out my own Panoptix kit but haven't decided which ducer to get (either Panoptix or Livescope).  I will use this set up exclusively for ice fishing and would like to hear opinions.  The Panoptix ducer is $999 and I assume they will get cheaper this year with Livescope coming out hard and heavy.  The Livescope ducer is $1499.  I will be pairing this with an Echomap plus 73CV control head.  For those with Livescope are you finding it to be worth the extra cost/equipment/battery drain?  Thanks for any input you can share.

Although I am not ready to jump all in ..but.. the above set up has caught my interest big time..some awesome technology..

here is another option but limited in compatibility

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/636902/pn/010-02143-00#overview
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Although I am not ready to jump all in ..but.. the above set up has caught my interest big time..some awesome technology..

here is another option but limited in compatibility

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/636902/pn/010-02143-00#overview

great option if by chance you already own one of the high priced compatible screens. Having the larger screens would be great for a wheelhouse, or permanent shack

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #26 on: Oct 01, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Agreed.  You save a lot on the ducer but need to have a high end control head. 

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 01, 2019, 03:33 PM »
How many people are running the livescope for ice fishing?  There is a couple of youtube videos showing people using them for ice but not a ton.

I don't see these systems getting cheaper anytime soon. 

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 01, 2019, 05:30 PM »

Go used and you can get a ps22 for $450-600.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #29 on: Oct 01, 2019, 08:00 PM »
I've checked eprey and CL but am not seeing much used out there.  Anyone here have one they want to sell?  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.