The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Time of day to catch pike -  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Tip_Up!

• IceShanty Rookie
Time of day to catch pike -
« on: Jan 01, 2020, 09:57 AM »
I was wondering what everyone's opinion/experience is with the best time of the day to catch pike? I know there are many different theories out there. Over the years I generally tend to catch most of my pike between sunrise and 11:00 am or so. I always wonder if there is actually a time of the day the pike are or more or less likely to feed...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Time of day to catch pike -
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:00 AM »
Pike make up for the mid day slowdown for panfish here.i catch them all day long.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:17 AM »
I've found it depends on the lake. I have patterns down for various lakes I fish...for example, one lake they may bite only at sunrise and sunset, other lakes they may bite all day. There really is no set time table for all bodies of water as a whole, from my experience.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:22 AM »
Pike make up for the mid day slowdown for panfish here.i catch them all day long.

Same. I've heard that their primary feeding time is mid-morning to mid-afternoon...dunno. I will say a fish of their demeanor probably eat anytime they want. 😉
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2020, 12:04 PM »
All day long around here. They tend to shut down at dark.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2020, 12:28 PM »
All day long around here. They tend to shut down at dark.
Same here

Offline Tip_Up!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:00 PM »
Around Western Montana (where I primarily icefish), there seems to be an afternoon lull with pike for some reason, which never made sense to me. They seem like the type of fish that would always be in attack mode.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:47 PM »
Around Western Montana (where I primarily icefish), there seems to be an afternoon lull with pike for some reason

^^Ditto.  In the the spring at least, when I target them most often, they seem to bite best in the morning and once again in the hour or so before dark. That's not to say you won't catch them midday, but they definitely seem to be less aggressive...I chalk it up to them digesting their morning feast. 

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2020, 04:20 PM »
I would agree with most of the guys here in that each body of water the Pike will react differently. That being said the most action for us has been from about daybreak to three hours after and then again just before sunset.
I have kept a log for decades and I will add that the biggest Pike have always been during the middle of the day between 9.00 and 2.00. I have no idea why but that’s what my data shows, good luck and tight lines.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2020, 11:15 PM »
They will bite anytime. Shallower at night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.