Author Topic: losing your rod  (Read 11342 times)

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
Re: losing your rod
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2005, 02:07 PM »
hehe nice story :) Crazy things happen huh when you least expect it :tipup:
Anthony

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2005, 02:20 PM »
Never lost a rod but had this happen opening weekend. There were high winds and water on the ice. Well one good gust with a hole that was 10" to start and opened to about 12 or 13"s. Well down she went!  I did jig it back up with a Pimple though!

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2005, 12:32 AM »
that is pretty crazy knife.

haha sweet pic there duck doctor

I've havent lost anythign down the hole yet :-\ keppin the fingers crossed

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2005, 05:41 AM »
Ah yes Duck, another perfect example NOT to have anything larger than an 8" hole. I've never caught a fish that couldn't come through an 8" hole including walleye over 13#. Actually the day i got my 13.7#, my buddy had a 16# and it came through the 8" hole just fine.
Pete Lewis

Offline tommytipup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2005, 07:48 AM »
I've lost a couple through the years. Dropped my pole to go for a tipup and came back to find my pole gone. guess i shoulda learned from the first time though

Offline asleepin my shanty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigan Goatboys
« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2005, 09:34 PM »
Never lost a pole but I knocked over my lantern last year. Right into my hole. It worked for a couple of seconds than the globe broke and out went my light.  we will never know if it would have attracted fish in. You know come to the light. That reminds me I have to go buy another globe. No beverage,just a cloudy head from the night before. lol
Living down by the lake, in my shanty, waiting for the ice

Offline ldebriyn8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2005, 05:36 PM »
No but i almost did today i went out of the shack to go look at the tipups and came back in and the rod started tipping towards the hole. i reeled it up and it was a 21" smallmouth bass

DEERMEAT

« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2005, 07:35 PM »
NEVER LOST A POLE BUT I HAD A BOX FULL OF JIGS SLIP OFF MY LEG & RIGHT DOWN THE HOLE.LOST OVER $150.00 WORTH OF JIGS

fredoo

« Reply #38 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:41 AM »
Never lost my rod but I did find a nice combo. It was a penn 4500ss and some random rod. It was actually salvagable and I use it today.

Offline asleepin my shanty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigan Goatboys
« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:10 AM »
I think it is mine I lost it just the other day on what ever lake you are on LOL
Living down by the lake, in my shanty, waiting for the ice

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #40 on: Jan 26, 2005, 10:28 AM »
Didn't lose the rod but it broke. I WAS FISHING FOR CRAPPIE WHEN A FLAG GOES OFF. i GO TO CHECK THE TIP UP WHEN i NOTICE A TAP TAP TAP ON MY ROD I HAD PUT DOWN. SO I START BACK TO THE ROD WHEN IT TAKES OFF TOWARDS THE HOLE. BUT I REACH IT IN TIME (JUST IN TIME), AS I GRAB IT I PULL STRAIGHT UP. WELL IT WASN'T A CRAPPIE BECAUSE AS I SET THE HOOK THE ROD GOES STRAIGHT DOWN AND SNAPS. BUT THE LINE DOESN'T SNAP, SO KNOW I AM HOLDING THE BUTT END WITH THE REEL IN ONE HAND AND THE ROD SHAFT IN THE OTHER HAND. GET THIS STUPID FISH ALL THE WAY TO THE WHOLE JUST TO SEE THE WHITE OF THE BELLY AS IT SPINS AND SNAPS THE LINE. COULDN'T TELL BECAUSE IT WAS GETTING DARK BUT IT LOOKED LIKE A NICE WALLEYE.

Offline flatlander

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2005, 12:51 PM »
Last year my brother-in-law set the hook and in the process, his jigging rod flew out of his hands and did a perfect swan dive down the hole.  About an hour later, he "hooked" another fish.  Turns out he was tangled up in the line of the first rod and when he reeled it in, he had the "lost" rod complete with the dink that took it out of his hands.  I'll never let him live that down. 

Offline sport masterson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ceritifed in C.P.R - Catch Photo Release
« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2005, 11:02 PM »
this happened to me the other day...ihad my berkely lightening rod sitting ina wire rod holder and it hadn't been bit all day(at least two hours) and then all of a sudden my fishing partner yells there goes yer rod and he dives after it, going up to his armpit in water...it was terrible.  i managed to get the rod holder back but the lightening rod is long gone.  i'll nevr make the mistake of keeping the bail closed while deadsticking again.

josh

The Green Hornet has caught more fish than you've lied about.

outdoors13

« Reply #43 on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Almost lost a rod with a mess of white perch. lost plenty of jigs when the lantern melts the mono though.
P.S any body ever lose an auger?!?

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2005, 07:19 AM »
Almost lost a rod with a mess of white perch. lost plenty of jigs when the lantern melts the mono though.
P.S any body ever lose an auger?!?

Yes I did.  I packed up everything got the boy's ready and we headed out on the lake.  After about a mile of walking I realized I left the auger on my tail gate.  By the time I got back to the truck, it was gone.  Not totally a bad thing, I got to replace it with a Nils Master auger.
Follow the bubbles...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.