New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Oneida Lake Press Release and question  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
Oneida Lake Press Release and question
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:27 AM »
I got this e-mail yesterday from NYSDEC (my bold).

"DEC and Oneida Lake Association Remind Anglers of Fishing Regulations, Safety

The New York State Department of Conservation (DEC) and the Oneida Lake Association (OLA) are reminding anglers to abide by current regulations to help protect Oneida Lake, safeguard fish populations, and ensure safety of anglers on the ice.

"Oneida Lake is the largest lake located wholly within New York State and it provides tremendous sportfishing opportunities," said DEC Region 7 Environmental Conservation Police Captain James Boylan. "DEC encourages anglers to enjoy New York's ample resources ethically and safely. Abiding by the existing fishing regulations is critical to ensure continued quality fishing opportunities for everyone."

Walleye: The daily limit for walleye at Oneida Lake is three and those under 15-inches must be released. Anglers are reminded that, by DEC regulation, foul hooked walleye caught at Oneida Lake must be returned to the water unharmed.

Yellow Perch & Panfish: The daily limit for yellow perch and sunfish is 50 each. The combined daily limit for white and black crappie is 25 fish. There is no minimum size limit for perch or sunfish, but crappie must be at least nine inches long to be kept. The seasons for Atlantic salmon, trout and bass are all currently closed and they may not be kept through the ice. These species and other undersized fish should be promptly returned, unharmed, to the water. Anglers are also reminded that harvest of lake sturgeon is not allowed at any time.

Anglers must have a valid fishing license before heading out on the ice. Fishing licenses are valid for 365 days from the date of purchase.

"Oneida Lake anglers need to keep a watchful eye and inform DEC police of potential snagging and foul hooking violations. Together, we can change this practice and allow the ethical harvest of fish that are legally hooked in the mouth as they attempt to ingest bait," said Warren Darby, President of the OLA. Please keep our lake clean. If you take articles out on the ice (propane canisters, drink cans, bags and other waste) take them off with you when you leave. Respect for Oneida Lake means no trash left behind."

DEC Law Enforcement can be reached 24-hours a day by calling the toll-free hotline for reporting environmental violations at 1-844-DEC-ECOS (1-844-332-3267). Or for non-urgent violations, email [email protected]. Environmental Conservation Police have been protecting public health, safety and the environment in New York State since 1880.

Anglers are reminded to practice Leave No Trace principles when recreating and enjoy the outdoors and fishing responsibly. Also, be sure to check ice thickness regularly. While ice now covers the lake, warm rains can cause it to lift from shore and develop fissures offshore. Wind will cause pressure ridges that can be a snowmobile hazard. Safety gear that should be standard for all ice anglers includes ice picks worn around your neck, a float coat or life jacket and a floating rescue rope (to aid other anglers who may go through the ice).

As part of Governor Cuomo's NY Open for Fishing and Hunting initiative, February 17-18, 2018 has been designated a free fishing weekend. The requirement for a fishing license is waived during this period. This is a great opportunity for beginners to try ice fishing or for experienced anglers to take friends ice fishing for the first time. Novice ice anglers are encouraged to download the Ice Fishing Chapter (PDF) (3.6 MB) of DEC's new I FISH NY Beginners' Guide to Freshwater Fishing for information on how to get started ice fishing. Additional information is available on DEC's ice fishing web page."

So is that why the guys with the underwater TV cameras claim you really need one to do well, you can't see 'em coming to snag them with out the camera?  ??? ::)

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Oneida Lake Press Release and question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:01 AM »
I think they are tossing this out now due to the upcoming closed spawning season

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Man.. You would have to be real good to snag a fish through a hole in the ice. If they get close enough to snag you would think they would also bite your bait. I don't think anyone is snagging fish through the ice. It would be way harder than tradional angling. Cameras just help you place your bait in relation to the fish and help you work them and tease them into biting better.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:48 AM »
There's a lot of guys out there who claim they "finesse" their hook into a salmon's mouth, some even claim it's legal (and if they really do get the hook and whatever "bait" inside the mouth, how could they get a ticket, the fish is not visibly foul hooked at that point).  I personally think if they could bag it, they could sell it, most of their fish are hooked near the mouth in a jaw plate or under the jaw, and since they are not attracted by bait or lure they are technically snagged.   And it would seem that somebody watching a fish watch their lure on a camera might likewise finesse, or get close and make a quick yank.   This message  is coming with Ice fishing warnings on safety, the fish spawn up the creeks big time, (do they spawn in the lake too?) and the mainstream they spawn in closes to all fishing upstream to the impassable barriers on the 16th of March and does not open until the 1st Saturday in May.  You are certainly going to have a harder time foul hooking fish with panfish and bullhead tackle on open water, and that's basically all that is open after March 16 in the lake even though you can still fish, (or is there a significant cold water carp fishery) and you'd stick out like a sore thumb with any other kind of rig, like a finger lakes flyrod rig (you lifters know who you are!  >:() or a spoon like a lot of the folks try to do on Lake Ontario tributaries.  So I have to wonder, would be nice to hear some clarification!  Of course, it's unlikely that some poacher is going to come on here and admit to such low life behavior!!!  >:( >:( >:(

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:04 PM »
It is just a reminder to follow the law and report any illegal activity.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=350554.960

Check out page 33 and 34. There are folks that foul hook walleyes on Oneida. It is not all that common but some guys do it well.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:53 PM »
I foul hooked a lake trout once.  Watching them chase my lure on a vexliar from 60' up to about 10 feet below the ice. At that point I looked down the hole and could see them just bumping my lure with their mouths closed. After sever attempts at trying to entice them to bite by aggressively jigging,  I hooked 1 in the side of it's head. Talk about trying to get a fish through a hole kinda sideways was almost impossible. To you theory,  I guess it can happen but I doubt it's a targeted approach.

Before you call me a dirty snagger,  the fish was released due to foul hooked.
I was not going to break off a $5.00 jig in the fish like those salmon guys do with $0.50 guide flies . Trying to get a fish to strike the lure was the intent.
Finally,  have you never had a trout take a swipe at a lure or fly and end up foul hooking it ?

Geesh,  save that snagging stuff for the wannabe hero fishers.

There have been lots of threads and concerns from people and the Dec over walleye fishing when the creeks thaw prior to March 15th .I think that's what the message is about above from the Dec
As well as STAYING within the limits of creel.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:58 PM »
I think they are tossing this out now due to the upcoming closed spawning season
Spot on hot tuna ,
I’ve read the rants so if you see something call the tip line, I have 2 numbers on speed dial , , pissing and moaning on here won’t help , far as fouled fish yes it happens but the over the limits is a much bigger problem JM.02 , and I’m not going to debate about dying salmon on IS , I have lived 5 miles from that river all my life

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:58 PM »
But in the old days river salmon needed to be force fed. Now they bite.  :roflmao: :roflmao:

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:08 PM »
No you just floss there teeth now👍👍

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:13 PM »

Nothing on the jigs today. 8 pickerel on tipups. Will be trying another puddle soon.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:31 PM »
The guys in onieda creek in yhe fall need nughty supervision you know the ones that dont speak english

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:34 PM »
That would be profiling.....

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:30 PM »

All we can do is call it in license plates and description then it’s up to law enforcement and the judges ,

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:09 PM »
I foul hooked a lake trout once.  Watching them chase my lure on a vexliar from 60' up to about 10 feet below the ice. At that point I looked down the hole and could see them just bumping my lure with their mouths closed. After sever attempts at trying to entice them to bite by aggressively jigging,  I hooked 1 in the side of it's head. Talk about trying to get a fish through a hole kinda sideways was almost impossible. To you theory,  I guess it can happen but I doubt it's a targeted approach.

Before you call me a dirty snagger,  the fish was released due to foul hooked.
I was not going to break off a $5.00 jig in the fish like those salmon guys do with $0.50 guide flies . Trying to get a fish to strike the lure was the intent.
Finally,  have you never had a trout take a swipe at a lure or fly and end up foul hooking it ?

Geesh,  save that snagging stuff for the wannabe hero fishers.

There have been lots of threads and concerns from people and the Dec over walleye fishing when the creeks thaw prior to March 15th .I think that's what the message is about above from the Dec
As well as STAYING within the limits of creel.

Gee, tuna, you sure are sensitive, did I strike some nerve?  I never mentioned Lake trout, although it did occur to me that you could use the camera for anything that came in close enough.  And others posted in response that people DO snag walleyes through the ice on Oneida, both using the old and obvious poacher methods and the newfangled technology.  I have certainly foul hooked trout even when dry fly fishing, but I wasn't trying to, and immediately released the fish.  Same thing on the LO tribs.  But lately, there have been people on one of the LO boards making noise about force feeding, flossing, etc being legal, and I thought this press release was interesting, because DEC is agreeing with me that that is less than "kosher" behavior, a violation of the " attracted by bait and lure" part of the definitions and definitely less than "fair chase" for fishing.  But you wouldn't know that unless you've been lurking, you took your football and went home a while ago on that site.  I hope DEC and the Oneida association have some luck with their poachers, hasn't really happened with the trib fishery, and I hate like hades to see all that bad behavior spreading to other fisheries!   :)

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:15 PM »
But in the old days river salmon needed to be force fed. Now they bite.  :roflmao: :roflmao:

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

DEC never said they didn't bite, they said they didn't feed.  All the Upper echelon people I know at the Agency feel that saying they didn't feed and allowing snagging was maybe the biggest mistake ever made in the LO fishery. 

Offline stasui

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:36 PM »
no they actually bite bot because they're feeding just out of aggression. I hate when people make excuses for snagging or " flossing teeth"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:51 PM »
So I’m curious how many target pacific Salmon through the ice in ny 🤪

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.