New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091966 times)

Offline MJD3561

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks Steve.

Hello, good to see folks returning to Ice Shanty. Between work and some health issues have not gotten out fishing. I did learn of two ice fishing contests last Winter both are out of what I consider the SENY area ,one is for youth and held in Tannersville,Ny. (Greene county not far from Hunter Mtn. ski area) the other is in Columbia county. Once I get more information on both of them will pass it on to whatever Mod. is running the contest ,derbies, tournaments thread this season.

MJD3561 here is an Email and phone number that should get you the info. on electric drill usage on NYC water supply reservoirs .   1-800-575-5263   , ([email protected]

Steve

Offline MJD3561

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you bowski!

If you are referring to NYCDEP east of the Hudson River reservoirs, the DEP has implemented quite a few rule changes this past year, one is permitting the use of electric drills to cut holes.
They also banned smoking and vaping on NYCDEP property.

https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/sites/default/files/adopted_rules_pdf/rec_rules_final_approved_by_law_5.21.19_for_city_record-final.pdf

Look at pages 3 & 7 for the 2 rule changes I mentioned.

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Got on 3” of ice on a small farm pond Orange County this past Saturday morning. Couple gills and crappie. These warm temps are killing me, Ready for this season! 

My buddy  James with a crappie:

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
MJD3561, you are welcome glad I and Bowski could be of some assistance to you.

Slabs247 congratulations on getting out and catching fish most of the lakes/ponds i drive past regularly in eastern Orange county do not look safe in my opinion yet many still have good areas of open water.

Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I saw a rather strange occurrence the past couple of warm days after the snow storm followed by rain and wonder if any other saw it too. Snow Worms! Out on my patio slates I had a bunch of smaller night crawler worms all over and coming right up through the snow to crawl toward and onto my patio. I scooped up a bunch of them and have them in worm bedding hoping to use them while fishing this winter.
I don't know much about this or these worms so any thoughts will be welcome. They seem to be doing fine in my bedding box so far.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
So were is first ice going to be i fished sullivan county last year Dec 15th

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
few guys where on ice Sunday Monday but this damn rain!!!!! wayne county pa area is where ill be!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Matt_Perch

• IceShanty Rookie
This weekend guys??  ;D

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone check superior or SB yet

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
This weekend guys??  ;D

Quite possible ...not getting above freezing from dusk yesterday til Sunday in lower Sullivan Co ..those first ice spots and possibly other shallow waters should lock up some.

Has anyone check superior or SB yet

My spot(shallow areas) which was frozen over opened up with the high temps and the mighty winds recently..so I suspect that those deeper bodies of water not quite yet.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hitting first ice this weekend best of luck and be dafe anyone hitting the ice

Offline Matt_Perch

• IceShanty Rookie
Hitting first ice this weekend best of luck and be dafe anyone hitting the ice

Ill be up there with NYBasser hopefully sunday cant wait man

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
  Went to the fish307 ice event on Saturday morning. Picked up a few things and then me and my buddy were in search of ice. He knew of a small shallower lake that freezes early. It was raining and 40 degrees out, so I was not  expecting to fish.  To my surprise this lake had 5” of ice and there were ATV and snowmobiles out.  So we gave it a go for a few hours. Couple dinks perch but did manage a small Pike.  Will be venturing out to some smaller lake in Sullivan on Sunday morning. Temps looking good for ice, Tight lines!

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is the law still 7 item either all til ups or rods of your choice or did it change again i e been told and asked alot by fellow fishermani only see in the dec booklet 7 items 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Is the law still 7 item either all til ups or rods of your choice or did it change again i e been told and asked alot by fellow fishermani only see in the dec booklet 7 items

Go to the source

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7917.html

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Just a heads up ..overnight low was 7 deg F ...But with lots of wind..today is going to be bright and sunny highs in teens and not quite as cold for the overnight ..in the teens.. also winds will die down throughout today and into tonight.

We had a couple of squalls..late yesterday..but I expect most of that has blown away.. ..that ice is sure to be glare ice for the weekend ..so CLEATS are part of your safety gear..

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Go to the source

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7917.html

Yup! Still 7 lines total while ice fishing. I keep wondering when the DEC will define the meaning of "Shanty". IMO a shanty is a structure designed to be left out on the ice during the ice season and they do have regulations on these huts. Those like me who have Portable sled mounted pop ups or tent style enclosures are not considered as Shanties per the DEC. That said I don't believe you have to have your name on any portable pop ups. For those with new pop ups or tent style enclosures I highly recommend you follow the lead of those before you. Anchor your sled, shanty, pop up or tent so you need not go chasing it across the ice when a stiff wind sends it skating. Every season I have seen more than a few of these shelters wiz by at around 20 MPH with the owner in hot pursuit.
Have a great season, happy holidays and and stay safe.

Gam

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy

That is the state law 7 lines in any combination. If you are fishing border waters they tend to have different regulations so make sure you check any special regulations for the particular body of water you are fishing.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
About 2-2.5 inches of ice on a ulster county lake today. Hoping to get out on it Sunday

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone been able to check Superior in the last day or two?
I’m looking to get out there Saturday or Sunday. I’d hate to drive an hour for nothing.
Any report would be appreciated.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Has anyone been able to check Superior in the last day or two?
I’m looking to get out there Saturday or Sunday. I’d hate to drive an hour for nothing.
Any report would be appreciated.

High winds all last night opened up some areas of my local lake that were previously frozen ...tonight temps in the teens and winds diminish .

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think you guys are pushing it for the big lakes in Sullivan County. I was by Swinging Bridge and Rio today and both are wide open with barely any ice. You probably can find ice on smaller bodies but even that could be sketchy with the warm temps and winds we had last week. Wish I had gone up by White Lake but once I saw SB I just turned around and drove south past RIO. 16 here now just 3 miles from the RIO but it will take a week of sub 20s to lock any of these lakes up enough for those who are OK with just 4 inches. Very rare that I ever get out before the new year except on the small, shallow water ponds.

Gam

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
     By me it seems a lot of the waters with little flow didn't break up last thaw. Those places probably would be the places I would look.
     It seems Superior is a quick freeze. You don't need a spud to check it. If there is ice you could borrow one from one of the fifteen people who are already there ;D Who has Bait?

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone check superior or morning side planning on taking a ride tomorrow morning

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
My locsl ponds had 5-6 inches . Be carefull out there.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
What county has 6 inches of ice

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Did anybody check out Superior today? Just wondering if there’s any safe ice in Sullivan County.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Some guys out on Superior today. Be very careful and spud if you plan on going out tomorrow. Open water in the middle and very uneven ice thickness around the lake

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Saw guys fishing by Wal mart in Monticello. Of course White lake could no way be safe but it is iced  in on 17b side.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.