Author Topic: Snowmobile studs  (Read 24410 times)

Offline WANNABFISHIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Snowmobile studs
« Reply #30 on: Oct 10, 2008, 08:40 AM »
the one Im studding up is a 1996 formula III 600   

(Image removed from quote.)

Ill prob also do the Safari  (last years sled) 

the formula III prob never go over 40 again    when I trail ride its about 25-30 mph anyway

I also think the 96 pattern would be perfect. Sled looks like a long track though.  If it is you'll need 108 studs for the 96 pattern.  Put them all down the middle since you are not going to do any aggressive trail riding.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Oct 14, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Just went and got the first 48 1.175 studs and backers  gonna start with everyother rib   but first got to pull the foolish engine to change the regulator    what moron thought it was smart to put a regulator under the engine   where all the crap ends up falling melting leaking into   >:D
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #32 on: Oct 14, 2008, 07:34 PM »
If you just use it for fishing there is no science to it. My excell3 is a 1986 and it has space for 50. I got the hollow drill bit and installed my own on the old track. Getting ready to do the new one soon.
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 15, 2008, 08:29 AM »
1.175 studs are to long!

Offline WANNABFISHIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Oct 15, 2008, 08:50 AM »
1.175 studs are to long!
I think you're right.  If that is a stock track it has .700" lugs and you should probably use .875 studs.  Everything I have read also says the bare
minimum for studs is one stud per horsepower and 1.5 studs per horsepower is recommended.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Oct 15, 2008, 09:07 AM »
they just barely go over the lugs plus what Ski doo shop recommended   the 1 or 1.5 per hp  is for those ditch bangers /ones that dont need a throttle just an on off switch  I run 20-30 mph max and havent been over 40 in years

Offline WANNABFISHIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 15, 2008, 09:46 AM »
they just barely go over the lugs plus what Ski doo shop recommended   the 1 or 1.5 per hp  is for those ditch bangers /ones that dont need a throttle just an on off switch  I run 20-30 mph max and havent been over 40 in years

I would be worried about when your track breaks free trying to haul your degsled or ice shack.  Its totally up to you how many you put in but I attached a quote from snowtech magazine

"""If you’re concerned about track damage and fall into what is considered a “trail” or “safety” application (which is the vast majority of trail riders), the absolute minimum number of studs you should install is 1 stud per horsepower. To reduce potential track damage even further, these can all be installed into the center belt. For a new 800 twin, this would be 144 studs in the center belt."""

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #37 on: Oct 15, 2008, 04:25 PM »
if you put 1.175 studs you will destroy your heat exchangers,with that factory track profile you should not go higher than 1 inch studs...i have been selling snowmobile parts for the last 19 years,trust me ;)
go to woodys web site they have a application guide to go by,they dont want you to go over .875 studs,but you can get away with 1 inch if you use 1 inch tunnel protectors.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Oct 17, 2008, 03:36 PM »
Ok  here is what I bought and have

Pictures worth a 1000 words 
 I have 1" tunnel protectors in there now
hands a mess as usual  just replaced the regulator in it   what a pain   
after I did that I pressurewashed it all  I hate working on oily greesy  equipment   so now it is up to My standards!
(Was a firefighter toooo long)   should have cleaned it before I started   but also took apart the chain case inspected cleaned and refilled  so Id have had to do it twice!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Oct 17, 2008, 03:42 PM »
off to put the pipes back on  lol  another PIA

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #40 on: Oct 18, 2008, 09:56 AM »
good luck.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Oct 18, 2008, 11:37 AM »
will those studs in the pictures work?I havent done anything yet I was just holding them in place

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #42 on: Oct 21, 2008, 01:09 PM »
the type and brand of studs are fine,they just should be a little shorter, 3/8 of an inch over the lug is plenty

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #43 on: Oct 23, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Those are the exact studs I ran on my 700 F3 with no problems. That sled should have came with factory carbides skags,but depending on how the previous owner treated them they could be gone by now. I would HIGHLY recomend a new set if they are shot.It will greatly increase the saftey aspect when it comes to turning. Basically it will not turn on ice without them at any speed.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Oct 24, 2008, 07:28 AM »
Im returning them to the dealer as soon as I get back to presque Isle going to get the 1"

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #45 on: Oct 24, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Keep in mind the little extra length helps if there is a little snow on the ice.

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Oct 27, 2008, 10:32 PM »
snowmobile studs are a waste of money unless ur running on pure ice every hour of everyday....other than that they are useless.....and ive been ridin on lakes with all 3 of my snowmobiles for quite a few years and have never "needed" or "wanted" studs....

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #47 on: Oct 27, 2008, 11:38 PM »
snowmobile studs are a waste of money unless ur running on pure ice every hour of everyday....other than that they are useless.....and ive been ridin on lakes with all 3 of my snowmobiles for quite a few years and have never "needed" or "wanted" studs....

You have never tried climbing the hill at the west end pulling a shack after 2 inches of freezing rain then :P

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #48 on: Oct 28, 2008, 08:02 AM »

you dont ride much do you ???

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Oct 28, 2008, 08:10 PM »
haha i ride quite a bit and have never needed them let alone wanted them....i guess all my snowmobiles just are fast and have power so i have had nothing to worry about...idk and another thing ive always had in the back of my mind about studs is possibly falling off and getting run over by the track that would have studs in would tear u apart...not saying it would happen but very likely that it could...

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #50 on: Oct 28, 2008, 08:28 PM »
Studs on a sled are about like fishing with a flasher. Once you have used them, you wont want to do it any other way. If you think they are fast now, stud them up and hold on,cuz I gaurentee you your not getting half your power to the "ground" without them. Back when I was racing sleds it was amazing how adding studs would shave time off your runs, not only on ice but on crusted snow and hard pack.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Oct 28, 2008, 08:35 PM »
well my sled has power for sure but will never see it used again! it was bought for reverse and elec start! trails 20 -25 max

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #52 on: Oct 28, 2008, 08:49 PM »
well my sled has power for sure but will never see it used again! it was bought for reverse and elec start! trails 20 -25 max

Might want to stick someone with a pair on it to blow the cobs out every once in awhile. That tripple isnt goping to be very happy with putzing around . Keep an extra set or 2 of plugs in the box for it.

Might want to fab up a throttle stop for it. That 600 will jump from 20 to 40 if you sneeze.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Oct 28, 2008, 09:23 PM »
at my age I dont think Ill have a problem  and it would have to be someone I totally trust and financially secure to ride it

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #54 on: Oct 29, 2008, 05:56 AM »
at my age I dont think Ill have a problem  and it would have to be someone I totally trust and financially secure to ride it

well hazzy i wouldnt consider myself financially secure by any means...but if ya need someone to burp that pig for ya im you're guy!  ;D  stumper is right if youre not gonna start a fire in that engine you are definatly gonna foul some plugs!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Oct 29, 2008, 06:15 AM »
lol  I trust you  but I do have a couple boxes of plugs    the other secret is to run a hotter plug  then ya dont have that issue if ya just put putt around

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #56 on: Oct 29, 2008, 08:24 AM »
Just be carefull running a hotter plug. If its jetted for 25 degrees and your out fishing at 20 below you can melt a piston. You have 3 carbs that have to be set perfect if your going to play with the plugs. Get one to lean and you will wish you hadnt.

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #57 on: Oct 29, 2008, 08:47 AM »
that sled takes br9es plugs you can run br8es no problem 1 heat range is ok.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Oct 29, 2008, 08:58 AM »
100% right as always!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #59 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:23 AM »
Do the different areas you fish vary much as far as elevation?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.