The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Different size hooks for different fish.  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Jumbos

• IceShanty Rookie
Different size hooks for different fish.
« on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:36 AM »
  I know this may be a greenhorn question (I is what I is) but what size hooks does everyone use on tip ups when fishing different species of fish. For example fishing for Brown's as opposed to fishing for salmon. Thanks!

"A Jumbo a day keeps the skunks away."

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Different size hooks for different fish.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:20 AM »
 i use 4's for everything but if using smaller bait 6's keep pinose alive longer.

Offline Fishn'Rod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:27 AM »
I use #2 for pike and 4 or 6 for everything else.  sometimes small egg hooks when targeting rainbows with salmon eggs.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:12 AM »
I match my hooks with the size of the bait.  The target species doesn't really play into it for me.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:22 AM »
No trout on my target list but I tend to fish smaller than usual hooks for everything. Standard is #10 treble (I know, some of you guys are restricted to single points) and have not been compromised on either hookups or retention to the hole. Biggest I fish are not much larger at size 6 sometimes in tandem. Also agree with the observation that hook size needs to match the bait size. It's my belief that live bait, especially, wears smaller hooks better allowing increased action.

A long time ago I used to fish larger hooks but learned some lessons from a guy I fish with. The more I played with the smaller hooks the more reasons there were to like 'em. Buy design and quality: extra strength (1 - 4x) is a big plus along with short shanks and round bends. Some of the guys I'm fishing with now are using #12 hooks on medium shiner. I'm not quite there yet but I'm thinkin' about it. Probably have to try to disprove it in order to learn  ;)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:47 AM »
I match my hooks with the size of the bait.  The target species doesn't really play into it for me.

Same here match the hook to what looks right for the size bait your running . 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:26 PM »
For standard and treble hooks, match to the size of the bait. The only time the sizing of the hook is really important is when your using inline circle hooks. Then the hook gap needs to match the size of the thickness of the fish’s jaw for a proper grab at the corner of the mouth.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 01:10 PM »
The only time the sizing of the hook is really important is when your using inline circle hooks. Then the hook gap needs to match the size of the thickness of the fish’s jaw for a proper grab at the corner of the mouth.

And is often larger than you think. Look at the gap and not the hook size.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:09 PM »
And is often larger than you think. Look at the gap and not the hook size.
Thats one of the problems some people have with circle hooks, they don’t use the right size, or the right size seems too big to them. The other problem is people keep setting the hook like normal and just pull the hook out of the mouth. Just apply pressure as the fish swims away and they hook themselves.
Oh I forgot to add my size ranges lol.
With the circle hooks, I use eagle claw lazer, different brands have different gaps  ::). In the summer for bluegills and such, I use 8-6. For the 8-12” stocked trout, or even perch,  I like size 6-4. Size 2-1/0 for 14”+ trout and salmon or even crappie. I like sz1-2/0 for bass. I haven’t gone for pike or lake trout yet, but I’d choose 2/0-4/0 for those bigger mouth critters.
If your not using circle hooks, then stick with sizes 6-2 and match to the bait. When fishing with worms for trout, I thread the hook through the worm, so a bigger hook doesn’t really hurt.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:53 PM »
I like circles for everything that swims except pike/muskies. I think all those teeth often misdirect the angle of the line and it either hooks up in the wrong spot or not at all. They got teeth on their tongues and the roof of their mouths so it makes that clean slip into the corner somewhat less reliable. It's great when it works but it hasn't worked that consistently for me. I was using 5/0 - 7/0 Mustad Demon hooks.

Offline MaineMoparMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:12 PM »
#6 circle hook red in color seems to be a good all around salmon brookie touge hook but lately I have been experimenting with larger sewing hooks and sewing on suckers. seems to work when fishing for big togue on bottom with large bait.

Offline 8orach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:18 PM »
I think crappie are one of the most important fish to match hook size up to, shiners shouldn’t be larger than 2 inches and hook size has to be 6 or smaller. I always use octopus hooks, the key to using them is learning to set the hook. I cringe at anyone who pulls a tip up, up, and yanks the hook into a fish. Over half the time they pull the hook right out of a fishes mouth, it’s design calls for a short jab to set the hook and you’re on. Moral of the story, stopping using tip ups for crappie and start jigging😂

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:06 PM »
I use #8 octopus for Brookies, Salmon & Browns and #4 or #2 octopus for togue
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline Jumbos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:14 PM »
Thanks a lot everyone! :tipup:

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:20 AM »
I pretty much exclusively target trout and I usually use size 8 or 10. After seeing the size hook my friend uses to get tuna it made me realize that you really don't need very big hooks for trout/salmon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.