The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Green light attractor  (Read 1638 times)

Offline MaineMoparMan

• IceShanty Rookie
Green light attractor
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:33 PM »
Wondering if anyone uses or has used those green lights that are claiming to attract fish? If so, do they work or are they a waste of money? I know people who swear by them in the salt water. seems like the principle should hold true in fresh...?🍻

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Green light attractor
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:41 PM »
i have 1 i bought quite a few years ago. never could justify the cost of a battery.  used it once on a flasher battery. lasted 3 min. before it died. probably would need a deep cycle.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:04 PM »
I've used green glow sticks in the past
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:10 PM »
I've got a small green LED submersible that runs on AA batteries. I use the old batteries from my smoke detectors. Just use it for smelt fishing. One day I swear it turned on the bite once I set it down the hole, but it could've been coincidence the smelt were just getting active at that time. Someone told me last week that green attracts them and then red to keep them there and calm, but he's not doing good for smelt this year so...
Can't hurt to try when the bite is slow.
It must be something in the water.

Offline MaineMoparMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:12 PM »
yes I understand the cost part of it but if it lands more fish then hey why not it's only money. ;) I would think they would need to soak as they attract the micro organisms that attract the bait fish and then predator fish. how did the glow sticks work out?

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Glow sticks weren't impressive. I did catch fish in the holes with the glow sticks but who knows if that's what did it

Offline scottly0

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicken Little
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:39 PM »
Go to a pond with a known crappie population.
Set up your glow light about an hour before sunset.
Drill holes randomly spaced but at least  5 feet apart around the perimeter that the light will reach.
The light attracts microscopic organisms some kind of zooplankton.
The zooplankton attracts bait fish.
The bait fish attract the crappie.
Use a flasher to see where the fish are suspending.
The biggest fish will be on the edge of where the green light ends waiting in the dark to ambush the baitfish.
You need a glow light about two feet long.  Power with small lawn tractor battery. Attach a large weight at the bottom of the light to hold it down.  Paint the weight if you think it is lead.
Fish.
Fill bucket.
Be prepared for everyone nearby to come out and ask about the strange glow.  If 3or 4 inches or more of snow on ice--privac.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Is that Legal??

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:52 PM »
Sounds like you've done this before scottlyO

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:54 PM »
They do sell led green lights for short money. Or you can get 12" glow sticks at party supply stores

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:26 AM »
Drill holes randomly spaced but at least  5 feet apart around the perimeter that the light will reach.
The biggest fish will be on the edge of where the green light ends waiting in the dark to ambush the baitfish.
You need a glow light about two feet long.  Power with small lawn tractor battery. Attach a large weight at the bottom of the light to hold it down.  Paint the weight if you think it is lead.
Fish.
Fill bucket.
Be prepared for everyone nearby to come out and ask about the strange glow.  If 3or 4 inches or more of snow on ice--privac.
i thought of this for awhile now. i know the smelts are attracted to the light of a lantern placed on the ice at sunset. should work just as good for panfish. my wife caught a 21in. salmon last week while jigging for smelts a hr. after sunset. caught many salmon at night this way as well as some trout when fishing shallower lakes.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:30 AM »
Fish.
Fill bucket.
how long did the tractor battery last for you?

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:49 AM »
We've used lights for crappie in CT, but there aren't crappie in the lake we're on in Maine. Our experience with lights is similar to what scotty wrote, the fish stay on the fringe of the light. How far that is from the light depends on which light you use, how deep it's set and the water clarity. The best light for us is the big deep-drop swordfish lights which really light up the area. I've also tried the "Crappie Candles" a finger sized light which is very economical. They don't throw a small fraction of the swordie lights so you need to use several at a time, but they are cheap compared to $375 for a 90-watt deep drop. I've seen the long ones like scotty has but don't know much about price. We've used green, others use white light. You'll know if the zooplankton is attracted to the lights because they show up on flashers as interference, which starts at the lake bottom around sunset and gradually rises in the water column.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.