Author Topic: Best drill/auger setup on a budget  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best drill/auger setup on a budget
« on: Aug 18, 2018, 06:34 PM »
I'm looking for suggestions on what drill/auger setup would be the best value for the occasional icer.  My kid sister has a cottage on a lake in east central Wi (Pike and Pans) and I've set her up with a few Beaver Dams plus she knows her way around a spinning setup.  The issue is she's never gonna use a gas auger and I know on nice days she would get a little bit of fishing in if she had a drill and a 6" auger setup.  I have the Milwaukee, Clam Plate and a couple of Nils but that's an expensive rig for somebody who might only drill 4-8 holes once or twice a month.  Thinking maybe Rigid/Mora or some other setup but would like to keep under $150 or so total.  What would be the entry level Rigid drill that would be suitable for a limited number of punches?  Anybody have some positive experience with a combo in that price range or close?

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best drill/auger setup on a budget
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2018, 09:08 PM »
You should be able to find a Mora auger at a garage sale cheap. Slap some new blades on it or have the existing ones sharpened and you have that covered. No need to get a new auger.

I see that right now the Rigid brushless hammer drill is $150 and so is the Ryobi. The difference is that the Rigid comes with a 2ah battery and the Ryobi comes with a 4ah battery. Watch for specials on those things. Home Depot had the Ryobi down to about $120 a few weeks back. A year ago they had that same drill at $150 but when you bought it you got a “free tool.” A two pack of 4ah batteries was an option for this “free tool” promotion.

I’m sure that they will have some unique offers on the Rigids as well. You just have to keep tabs on what they have going on and jump when the deal is the right one.

sunniewally

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2018, 01:32 PM »
what about the mini nero auger?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2018, 02:24 PM »
Just teach her to start a gas auger, if the market is anything like here you probably buy a running auger for under 100. Take an afternoon to run some seafoam through and clean the carb should start in a couple pulls after a little tuning

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2018, 02:27 PM »
32footsteps is right, you should be able to find a cheap used Mora or Mora knockoff for around $10-$20.  The entry level Rigid will work if she's only drilling a few holes.  To be honest, I'd say unless the ice is thicker than 2 feet, hand cranking isn't out of the picture depending on her age.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2018, 03:27 PM »
I used the Mini Nero 7" (actual 7 3/8") all last year and the Ridgid Brushless drill. Cuts 2" a Second. Can't beat that with an Ugly Stik,Pun intended.
<===Lefty===

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2018, 05:59 PM »
If your budget is $150 here is what I would suggest.

Whatever brand of equipment you have on hand with batteries, go on line and find a bare drill that is brushless with a decent amount of torque. Then keep your eyes on Craigslist for a cheap used 6in hand auger.

You should be able to get the bare drill for around $75 and a use 6in auger for around $15-$20. Then an adaptor to put the drill and auger on for $15-$20. Use an existing battery pack and charge station you already have. Should be able to do it for $125 or less that way.

All the companies have pretty good drills...the trick is to make sure you have enough tourque and that the drill is brushless. If you don't want any issues shoot for 650in/lbs plus for a 6in auger and 725in/lbs plus for an 8in auger.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2018, 12:07 AM »
Rigid droll the r86116 to be exact i think i paid $99 for my drill.. and maybe a 6 inch auger like this one.. if she needs a bigger hole drill three holes in a triangle shape. .  spud the rest out so they make one big hole shape of a triangle..  then put tip ups in .. pan fish is easy with a 6 inch.. see link for the auger in question it half the price of a laser cause its a floor model..  a new laser would cost around $95 aprox seen a few cheaper hear and there.. all you would need is maybe blades sharpened??  Or new blades sooner or later?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/16000-ESKIMO-ICE-FISHING-6-INCH-CURVED-SILVERTIP-HAND-AUGER-SALES-MODEL/352429239957?epid=21011369280&hash=item520e6b6e95:g:rFUAAOxyffZSZWas:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!48165!US!-1

Link below to rigid drill I am talking about for 99 ...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-1-2-in-Compact-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-with-2-1-5-Ah-Batteries-and-Charger-R861162SB/304583628

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2018, 05:52 AM »
I am a little confused here. I bought the Ridgid Drill and Impact last year and it said it was 700 In lbs. The link you have says 750 in lbs and it is the same drill I bought last year. 86116. Where did the extra 50 in lbs come from? By the way I have 2 of these drills. I found another one on Craigslist for $50 so I bought it.
<===Lefty===

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2018, 09:47 AM »
I see that right now the Rigid brushless hammer drill is $150 and so is the Ryobi. The difference is that the Rigid comes with a 2ah battery and the Ryobi comes with a 4ah battery. Watch for specials on those things. Home Depot had the Ryobi down to about $120 a few weeks back. A year ago they had that same drill at $150 but when you bought it you got a “free tool.” A two pack of 4ah batteries was an option for this “free tool” promotion.

Ryobi has the buy the hammerdrill package with a 4ah and get a free 4ah.  Pretty good deal.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-Driver-with-1-4-0-Ah-Battery-Charger-and-Bag-P1813/300225309
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2018, 04:47 PM »
I am a little confused here. I bought the Ridgid Drill and Impact last year and it said it was 700 In lbs. The link you have says 750 in lbs and it is the same drill I bought last year. 86116. Where did the extra 50 in lbs come from? By the way I have 2 of these drills. I found another one on Craigslist for $50 so I bought it.

Don't know my self maybe they up dated to a stronger magnets in the motor or what ever??  but it did say 700 inlb last year and I don't know if this is a newer version or not?? It threw me to buy for a 700 inch pound drill at less price then 150 and you get two batteries a charger and the lsa can't go wrong for $99.. if you think aboUT it.. I know it must be 700 inlb min   no matter the year made??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.