The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This years bait trapping thread  (Read 94538 times)

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: This year's bait thread...
« Reply #60 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:51 PM »
Don't get me wrong, black traps will catch shiners, but I have found the galvi ones to numb em. Side by side comparison has proven it. I'm just saying if your gonna buy some new then avoid the black traps.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #61 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:02 PM »
I have to get a few of the galvi traps i guess .  I want to see this side by side comparison for myself . I hope you guys are right . then I can cut my trapping time in half . thanks for the tip

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Don't get me wrong, black traps will catch shiners, but I have found the galvi ones to numb em. Side by side comparison has proven it. I'm just saying if your gonna buy some new then avoid the black traps.

iv done the same thing in my dace spot, we set the traps like this black trap, went 30 feet galv trap and so on for 4 traps. the galvs had way more bait than the black hands down! the blacks would have around 4 dozen in them but the galv had close to 10 dozen if not more!!
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline getting jiggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:15 PM »
I have to get a few of the galvi traps i guess .  I want to see this side by side comparison for myself . I hope you guys are right . then I can cut my trapping time in half . thanks for the tip

I'v spray painted my black ones with white and the bait like it  :o

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:41 PM »

I spray painted my black ones with white and the bait like it  :o

yeah i just did the same thing i hope it works out.

Offline Dookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:30 AM »
I get bait in my black ones but my one galv will out fish my two black ones anyday.

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:38 AM »
I get bait in my black ones but my one galv will out fish my two black ones anyday.

X2

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #67 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:48 AM »
I'll start trapping once I get home next week.  Hopefully I'll still be able to trap my dace honey hole again this year.  Also hoping that maybe MDH will return my bait buckets to me with some shiners in them. B/C that picture looks like my one of my bait buckets I gave him last year with dace in it in return for some shiners. 

;D 

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Not really sure, maybe they can't find the opening as easily??????????? Everyone that I know that traps bait has had the same results with the black traps.

I have always used the black rubber coated trap and had absolutely no issues with my catch. (till my pond died)

In fact, my brother has trapped with me in the same pond with his galvie trap and gets no more than me, many times less than me.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #69 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:10 PM »
I get no more or no less with my black traps versus my galvanized.

Offline AMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:13 PM »
I've never had luck with the black ones and I've used both

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:36 PM »
I'm not sure if any of you guys would know but... where do the bait shops get their PIN smelt? You know the tiny smelt that salmon are crazy for. Are they raised commercially then sold to bait shops? Do you ever find ponds with pin smelt in them? I know smelt are harder to take care of but I'm trying out the chest freezer/bait tank this season just to be able to keep the remaining bait at the end of the day alive. Can anyone share their knowledge of keeping smelt, either pin or lake smelt? TIA

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #72 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:48 PM »
I love my black traps. Have no problems. :)
I fish.                                                         

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:47 PM »
I'm not sure if any of you guys would know but... where do the bait shops get their PIN smelt? You know the tiny smelt that salmon are crazy for. Are they raised commercially then sold to bait shops? Do you ever find ponds with pin smelt in them? I know smelt are harder to take care of but I'm trying out the chest freezer/bait tank this season just to be able to keep the remaining bait at the end of the day alive. Can anyone share their knowledge of keeping smelt, either pin or lake smelt? TIA

i know of a certain few lakes that have them in it. but they will remain spot x and area y
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:28 PM »
http://www.harmonbrookfarm.com/ is a place i found the other night -- seems pretty interesting.... they sell shiners and smelts in all sizes... from fry to brood stock and every size in between.... only downfall is they sell to businesses only.... my question is, if you were to purchase your bait dealers license how hard is it to get a tax i.d. number?   

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Dec 14, 2011, 03:22 AM »
You can use your SSN as a tax ID #.  ;)

Offline getting jiggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:46 AM »
well it is still fishing but I believe that the black ones are crap only gali. for me again ! I had some old traps getting rusty and old and I came up on some black rubbery type traps was thinking jack pot I only paid like
8 bucks each I was pumped but man they just have not done the job of the gali. traps best way for me now
is make mine own I had a hair under 300 large bait the other night don't think they would have fit in one of the black ones but if you must use black ones paint'em or take'em apart and replace 1/2 with a gali.trap so
when put back together you have a 1/2 black and 1/2 gali. trap catch rate will improve I've tryed it all trying to Dial in on them

Offline Hardwater Apprentice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #77 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Ok, a local friend just told me something and I'd like for you folks to confirm or tell me its BS.  Im getting ready to build my first bait tank setup after spending HOURS of reading/researching.  Ive thought I had all the aspects completely planned out was ready to start work tomorrow when I heard this..... "The inside of your bait tank has to be black!  He told me fish will turn 'transparent' and lose almost all color in a white tank.  Is there any truth to this?  I only want to do this once and do it right the first time.  Looking forward to hearing back from you who have been keeping bait for years!  Thanks

Offline blueberryman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:46 PM »
I have found that to be true.We used to keep our bait in a white enamel cast iron bath tub and they sure do lighten up.We always caught plenty of fish with them.Now my tank is black and come to think of it we haven't been catching as many lately :o

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #79 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Ok, a local friend just told me something and I'd like for you folks to confirm or tell me its BS.  Im getting ready to build my first bait tank setup after spending HOURS of reading/researching.  Ive thought I had all the aspects completely planned out was ready to start work tomorrow when I heard this..... "The inside of your bait tank has to be black!  He told me fish will turn 'transparent' and lose almost all color in a white tank.  Is there any truth to this?  I only want to do this once and do it right the first time.  Looking forward to hearing back from you who have been keeping bait for years!  Thanks

Complete BS!

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:04 PM »
A bait dealer told me the same thing.  I bought some smelts at the end of the season last year (to kill and use for sewing in the spring), and the guy said to put them in a black trash bag for a day before I killed and froze them, to help them "keep their color."  No idea if it made a difference -- but the guy was adamant about it.

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:09 PM »
I once heard that keeping them in a black tank helps to keep the calm.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:09 PM »
It's BS. If so I would be in trouble, I have used this tank for the past 3 years.

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:13 PM »
I think it only applies to smelts..... ??? ??? ???

Offline Hardwater Apprentice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #84 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Thanks for the input folks!  Ive got a 4 year old freezer that I'm going to turn into a bait tank.  Like I said Ive given this a lot of thought with regards to filtration/ventilation and such.  Im going to go with a simple filtration system for this winter to get me by but then I'm going to build an even better external filtration system so I can keep bait year round for open water trolling!  I'm REALLY excited about this and cant wait to get started.  Tomorrow I'm starting the build.  Ill start a thread for those that might want to follow with pics

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:55 PM »
I think it only applies to smelts..... ??? ??? ???

yeah i think its only smelts too

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:47 PM »
glad to see im not the only one gettin tadpoles in my trap......

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:52 PM »
How bad do your bait tanks smell? i was planning on putting mine in my basement but if its going to make my house smell i don't think that's going to fly...

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:54 PM »
they dont, if you do it right.....

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Dec 14, 2011, 11:03 PM »
How do you keep it from smelling?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor