Author Topic: burbot  (Read 2767 times)

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
burbot
« on: Mar 01, 2012, 11:48 AM »
Is there any places that have burbot up by houghton? i here they taste good and would like to catch one

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: burbot
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2012, 01:13 PM »
Is there any places that have burbot up by houghton? i here they taste good and would like to catch one

K-Bay, we're probably at or just past peak time but good luck with the ice.  ;-)  It's my understanding they also used to run, and still may for that matter, the Sturgeon but I've never fished or caught them there.  I would imagine any of the big water harbors would have them, concentrations would be the issue. 

FWIW, I've caught a fair amount on K-Bay and find they run considerably smaller than Lake Michigan burbs.  There isn't a lot of meat on them for their size in comparison with other fish.  Given this, I really don't go after them in K-Bay much any more unless I really get a hankering for them.  They are the best tasting freshwater fish out there in my opinion though.  Also have the most slime as well...they will put a pike to shame. 
Chris Raymond

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2012, 06:45 PM »
 1st..   I agree ...with Chris on this one about K-bay ...But the Ice is the problem ....2nd ...I agree with EVERYONE that they are the best eating fish "" next to perch "" ...But 3rd ...Man are they freekin  UGLY ...I caught one one time & Grabbed it out of the hole & It wraped around my arm like a snake ..after that ....NO THANKS !!!! ....I shake em off now if i can ...LOL.. ::)

Offline 63rfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2012, 07:07 PM »
They are caught on the east shore of portage occasionally. I'm sure there are some in chassell bay and the humps as well.

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2012, 11:24 PM »
I target burbot alot these days and I have to say that if you wanna get any with size or good numbers Lake Michigan is the place to go. You could easily walk away with 50 pounds of burbot in a day. Lake Superior just has fewer burbot.

I also agree with the comment on them being delicious.
Good Fishin!!!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2012, 08:22 AM »
...I caught one one time & Grabbed it out of the hole & It wraped around my arm like a snake...

Wuss!  ;-)

I first started chasing burbot downstate on West Grand Traverse Bay and slayed them there and in Crystal Lake.  They were good sized and I was hooked.  Now, if I really wanted to get after them up here in the Yoop, I would head to L and BBdN.  If he's willing, I'd try to hook up with LipRipper...by the looks of his pics, he seems to have them dialed in.

As an aside, I had one underneath my hole glued to the bottom in Copper Harbor a couple of weeks ago.  I don't think it moved the entire time I was fishing that hole. 
Chris Raymond

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2012, 10:49 PM »
Huron bay is decent for them right now. Picked up 15 or so this past weekend up to 8lbs fishin for whities. Gave a old timer 5 today and still have 1.5 gallons of meat in the fridge. Grab them behind the back of the head and they wont wrap around your arm David!   ;D

BTW-Ice should be shot by the end of the week!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2012, 12:13 PM »
Huron bay is decent for them right now. Picked up 15 or so this past weekend up to 8lbs fishin for whities. Gave a old timer 5 today and still have 1.5 gallons of meat in the fridge. Grab them behind the back of the head and they wont wrap around your arm David!   ;D

BTW-Ice should be shot by the end of the week!

Did they have any size to them?
Chris Raymond

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Did they have any size to them?

Bunch more 2day up to 6-7lbs.  Couple days and the ice will be toast.

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2012, 04:12 PM »
Was out in BBDN this past week, picked up 10 in the morning, largest was 14 pounds. Ice is shot out there where I was now though. I'll have to wait for open water to get some more now.
Good Fishin!!!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Bunch more 2day up to 6-7lbs.  Couple days and the ice will be toast.

That's not too bad.  Could you get in at the A Frame or is it further back?
Chris Raymond

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2012, 08:26 PM »
Was out in BBDN this past week, picked up 10 in the morning, largest was 14 pounds. Ice is shot out there where I was now though. I'll have to wait for open water to get some more now.

That's a very nice burbot. 
Chris Raymond

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:18 PM »
That's not too bad.  Could you get in at the A Frame or is it further back?

We were a little south of the frame in 45fow.

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:40 PM »
That's a very nice burbot.
Ya it was the biggest we've gotten so far. Only a little more than four pounds off the state record.
Good Fishin!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.