The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hog Island Report 3-6-17  (Read 1143 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hog Island Report 3-6-17
« on: Mar 06, 2017, 05:11 PM »
I am still kicking myself in the butt for forgetting the camera at home 'cause I had the best day of my season so far. 

Got on the ice at 8:30 and it was perfect, only 12 degrees but not a breeze and you could feel the temp going up throughout the whole day.  There is (was when I left) a good 12" of good hard ice at Tabor Point but it's hard walking even with the Crampons 'cause the surface is so pocketed, looks like the moon and very slippery.  So bad that when I drilled a hole the auger stuck and I spun around, had to be careful.  And, the ice was soooo noisy, the whole lake was grumbling from making ice and loud long cracks were going every which way and, of course, always right up to you and between your legs.  I couldn't get to my favorite spot south of the access 'cause there's a big pressure crack there  that calved all forenoon and shards of ice were flying like shrapnel, sounded like someone smashing those old Corel dinner plates.

By the time I had set my 6th tip-up I had my first pike, a little 2-footer but loads of fun in 2 ft of water.  Oh, it's very hard to see your fish until they get their head into the hole 'cause the water is so cloudy/murky; used to be able to see the bottom, not now.  I fully expected a mess of white perch but it didn't happen.

Then it was quiet for a long time and the perch bite in 8 ft of water of was very slow but good sized.  Pretty soon a couple of Quebecers came out and sat right next to me; 200,000 acres and they sat right behind me?; it was like a French immersion class alllllll day long.  Then at noon I got another good sized pike but it was covered in lamprey wounds and one was still fresh; poor thing, he was long but terribly skinny and since it was only lip hooked I put him back.

Then the perch began to bite and it was steady and very good sized ones until 2:00 and they stopped and then I got my third pike, a nice one but it swallowed the hook so I kept her,  The perch came back for half an hour then stopped dead and school must have gotten out 'cause some kid came out on his dirt bike and did doughnuts around and it was just too much so I came home with enough pike for my chowder and half a pail of nice perch (only got a half-dozen little ones that ended up on my tip-ups).

The ice survived the last warm spell and I expect it to survive this one coming 'cause there's some cold air coming again; keep your fingers crossed.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Re: Hog Island Report 3-6-17
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2017, 06:15 PM »
Sounds like you had another good day at that place! I headed back down to the Burlington pier with nothing to show for it. Should've convinced my Mom to take me ice fishing, instead. It would've been a BEAUTIFUL day on the hardwater! Great job Jbritch on another successful outing.  :)
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Way to go.

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2017, 10:08 AM »
great post but i miss your pictures. the perch, were they hogs?

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:18 AM »
yeah, i'm wishing i took monday off instead of last friday...never fished friday as places were open water near shore, so i pulled boat into garage and started sanding the hull for the upcoming paint job.
fished saturday in that brutal cold and wind though, harsh!!!
nice report!

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Thanks for the kind words again, guys... and I really regret not having the camera with me, sorry, but glad to hear you enjoy the effort (sometimes Photobucket is a royal pain to muddle through) I was very happy with the size of the perch, mentioned that I only got a half-dozen little guys, most were 9-10 inchers and another half dozen bigger than that.  I didn't set any tip-ups for perch (usually at least 4) and so was surprised to see so many nice ones on the jig stick (the Quebecers were jealous so I gave them some minnows 'cause their bibbits wasn't producing much) and the bait was smaller than last time so go figure?  I recommend fishing right on the bottom and using a shiny flasher spoon 'cause the water is so cloudy.  I'll be going again next Monday if the wind isn't too bad; this cold snap coming will extend our season for sure.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Nice to hear its still locked up there. Wishing I could get up for a day trip.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2017, 01:05 PM »
The contributions pictures or not are appreciated. 

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2017, 04:30 AM »
A mess of fish and some French lessons, you can't beat that ! :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.