Author Topic: CT Newbies  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
CT Newbies
« on: Oct 11, 2019, 10:41 PM »
Hi all. I’ll be a first-timer this winter and have been reading up a lot here. All of your posts are really helpful. Looking for some input on lakes ~3-4 hours north of Central CT (Saratoga? Champlain?) where first-timers couldn’t get themselves in too much trouble, maybe in a community where there are frequently others on the ice, and where overnight lodging/cabins aren’t hard to find. A buddy has hit a rough patch and the overnight away from home would be good for him, so hoping to plan a good outing with the help of the experts here. Otherwise, definitely plan to try out the Cove and Batterson this season. Thanks in advance!

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: CT Newbies
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2019, 04:30 AM »
Welcome aboard.

Can you provide information on the species you will be targeting.
Do you have your own tackle, jig rods, tip-ups, Bob house or pop up.
The list can go on a bit.

If your planning on fishing larger lakes, do you have a 4 wheeler and or a snowmobile

Another area to put on your list is New Hampshire. We have Winnipesaukee @ 44,000 acres and other large lakes = Sunapee, Newfound, Winnisquam and Squam (this is the lake where they filmed the movie On Golden Pond). All of these lakes have motels, cabin rentals, great LOCAL tackle shops and lots of helpful anglers that are always wiling to help you enjoy the sport.

Budget depending,  Check out Tim Moore Outdoors. He is a down to earth great guy and will put you on fish and get you started on the ice fishing adventure

Hope this helps
John

Offline infamusc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard water fanatic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2019, 06:26 AM »
I like going to Lake Morey in VT. It is not uncommon to land a 4 lb smallie. Also right next door is Lake Fairlee. When I go I stay at the Silver Maple lodge in Fairlee. Real cheap and it's not all that bad.

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:28 AM »
Welcome aboard Hooking  :tipup: :icefish:

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2019, 10:48 PM »
John and others, thanks for these great tips. Ideally we are on a lake that has walleye and we rely on some beginners’ luck! Perch would be a distant 2nd target, but as hard water first timers, not expecting to fill the cooler by any stretch.

We’ll have jigging rods, tip ups, lures, shiners if we can find any at the bait shops, some waxies... no pop-up or 4-wheeler though... likely just sleds for hauling. Best would be a more active spot where some folks are nearby who could lend a tip in exchange for a drink or some brats.

I’ll check out some of these spots you named. Any of these have more bustling towns nearby where we could hit a bar or restaurant in case bad weather keeps us off the ice?

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2019, 04:04 AM »
Plenty to pick from.
Suggest you pull up a map of the New Hampshire lakes region and get familiar with the area.

A few of my favorites are Patrick's in Gilford, Appleseeds in Newbury, Bubba's in Newbury,
Try searching bars & taverns in new hampshire lakes region and you will find lots of choices.

Tackle shops for bait, lures, advice and friendly abuse:

AJ's in Meredeth

If you visit the Sunapee region visit the tackle shack in Newbury

Be sure to look into the Meredith Rotary Ice Fishing Derby on Feb 8 & 9, 2020. Look it up on the web. It's a great time for all

Hope this helps
John

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2019, 11:13 PM »
You’re the man, John! Thanks!!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Welcome aboard hooking!

If you’re a first timer and you and group do not have experience on the ice the first thing you need is a spud bar to check the ice. Safety should be your number one concern if you and your group haven’t been out before.

There’s a ton of info on here for safety if you use the search feature. You and your group can die doing this sport. I’m not trying to be a Debbie downer, but if your new it needs to be said. Even exoerienced ice anglers can lose their life.

It’s an awesome pastime, but you need to be aware of your surroundings which can be a challenge as a newb.

For Lakes John is pointing you towards my home state, but there’s a ton of options depending on where you are in NH. NH doesn’t have much for walleye but we have perch for days and very few people fish them.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2019, 07:30 PM »
Thanks for looking out, Zwiggles.  We all want to see our kids again so your emphasis on safety is appreciated!

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2019, 09:10 AM »

We’ll have jigging rods, tip ups, lures, shiners if we can find any at the bait shops, some waxies... no pop-up or 4-wheeler though... likely just sleds for hauling.
[/quote]

I would strongly recommend you pick up a pop up shanty if you plan on fishing anywhere north of ct it is much colder and almost always windy.. I go to  lake gorge in ny almost every weekend it's fishable and go to Maine a few times a ice season. I would never go without my shanty and heater. Even on the warmer days the weather can turn on you fast and get very cold and windy alot faster then you would ever think it would. Its a completely  different world up there in northern New England
Go big or go home

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:45 AM »
zwiggles and pikemanEd are spot on.

I was fishing on Winni in 60 degree weather with no breeze and full sun. In a matter of 20 minutes the sky turned grey and a snow squall rolled in so heavy that you could not see more than 30 yards in front of you. That means the temperature dropped about 30 degrees in a matter of minutes. That was a day that I was thankful for purchasing a cover for  my sled because we had 3" of snow in a matter of 30 minutes or so. And just like that, the sun was back out and the temps back in the 50's. Quite beautiful actually but I was prepared.

Safety gear like a spud, ice picks, rope and a small first aid kit are always great as well. Consider some sort of mechanical or electric auger as well since the ice can be measured in FEET.

Other than that its a matter of trial and error and covering a ton of ground if jigging only.
Just add water.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2019, 11:13 AM »
I've fished in Maine many years without a shelter, just sayin, it is definitely doable even down to some cold temps if you have the right gear. Sometimes you need to pick the area you are going to fish based on the wind direction.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2019, 11:46 AM »
I've fished in Maine many years without a shelter, just sayin, it is definitely doable even down to some cold temps if you have the right gear. Sometimes you need to pick the area you are going to fish based on the wind direction.

It can be done without a shelter but its so much more enjoyable with one  ;) ;D ;D
Go big or go home

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2019, 01:54 PM »
It can be done without a shelter but its so much more enjoyable with one  ;) ;D ;D

if it is below zero and windy I agree, any warmer than that and it's a hassle for me.

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2019, 08:32 PM »
If interested in Champlain, try Holiday Harbor see web site for more info but they are right on the lake, great lodging, Tom has shanty’s and bait.  Cabins have everything you need and can cook supper or eat locally.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2019, 11:51 AM »
If we didnt have the otter that one trip to Winnie we would have both had frostbite by the time we made it to the truck...
Big babies

Offline Low Bones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2019, 12:34 PM »
I like going to Lake Morey in VT. It is not uncommon to land a 4 lb smallie. Also right next door is Lake Fairlee. When I go I stay at the Silver Maple lodge in Fairlee. Real cheap and it's not all that bad.

definitely some nice smallies in Morey

Offline Jeffsor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2019, 07:18 PM »
I went to holiday harbor on champlain last march with my teen age son   we had an awesome time and are planning another trip this year. 

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2019, 11:19 PM »
Glad these are all archived so my friends and I can come back for notes. Game plan now is to stay local to cut our teeth and try Wethersfield Cove in early February. My buddy knows someone who has more experience so we’ll do a hands on day with him first, ideally January. I’ve got my stack of tip-ups now, jogging rod just arrived today, and my manual auger arrives tomorrow. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning opening these up 🎄

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:21 AM »
Glad these are all archived so my friends and I can come back for notes. Game plan now is to stay local to cut our teeth and try Wethersfield Cove in early February. My buddy knows someone who has more experience so we’ll do a hands on day with him first, ideally January. I’ve got my stack of tip-ups now, jogging rod just arrived today, and my manual auger arrives tomorrow. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning opening these up 🎄

The cove is one of my all time favorite spots to fish. Smart going out with someone who knows it your first time as it's tidal and can be a finicky SOB. Especially first and last ice. Once it's locked up good I'm out there a lot so feel free to stop by and say hi. Usually go with a buddy and set up with a big American flag
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.