Author Topic: The New 9:45 Thread..  (Read 227712 times)

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The New 9:45 Thread..
« Reply #4050 on: Jan 10, 2024, 12:49 PM »
Good Afternoon Everyone, 42* here and expecting some rain. Took Mr Dickens to Cabellas to renew my fishing license. Ice fishing equipment certainly has gone up in price. Used is almost as much as new. Mr Dickens enjoyed the ride. Lots of ponds we went by were open.

Old Goat, Will keep those 2 kids and their families in my prayers.

WallyWorld, Looks like those 2 bucks are having a good time.

Hunts2long, Prayers your wife’s appointment went well. Scout probably feels good after his grooming. We have to clip Mr Dickens. He gets to nervous with other people grooming him.

Mr Clean, Thank you for the info on the Barred Owls. I didn’t know they would be the cause of spotted owls decline.

I hope everyone is having a safe day.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #4051 on: Jan 11, 2024, 04:41 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                   It's 25* and mostly cloudy here on my hill. ::)
                   OG.............That's sad new that the kids didn't survive. :( My condolences goes out .to the families.
                   I-45............I think most dogs are a little nervous going to the groomer. :unsure: I hope the basement didn't receive to much water. :whistle:
                   Wally..........Thanks for sharing the pictures, boys will be boys. lol :roflmao:
                   Fish............I believe colder weather is moving this way next week. :thumbsup:
                   H2l.............I bet Scout feels a lot better now that he got a makeover. :woot:
                   Steve..........I thought that man wasn't supposed to change what mother nature does with the natural progression of the  numbers.
                   Yesterday I went out to clear my driveway and found nothing but 5 inches of slop. I did snow blow my driveway but the ridges were going to be a
            nuisance when the temperature dropped. I messaged my neighbor to see if he would stop on the way home and back drag my driveway. About an hour
            before he showed up the temperature dropped to below freezing. So it was a good call.
                   I have an early therapy appointment this morning.
                   I hope everyone has a good Thursday either at work or out. Stay Safe and Healthy.

IW

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4052 on: Jan 11, 2024, 05:21 AM »
Good Morning Everyone, 31* here. Suppose to warm up in the 40s today. We had a lot of snow melting yesterday. Mr Dickens likes it now he can go in the backyard again. Nothing planned today. My wife is home today.

Ice Wanderer, Good luck with your therapy today. Thank you for the great joke. I needed the laugh.

MasonEddie, Hope you are well. You are in our prayers.

Whopper Stopper, Haven’t heard anything from you in a while. Hope all is well.

I hope everyone has a great day and a safe one.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4053 on: Jan 11, 2024, 06:18 AM »
Morning all,

IW.....good call on getting the ruts taken care of before they could freeze  ;)

H2L.....hope yesterday's appointment went well  :)

IFF.....how are things at the farm  ???

MrC.....what a shame, killing all those owls  :nono:

OG.....those cold temps are heading east this weekend  :icefish:

Nothing much planned here today.

Have a good day. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4054 on: Jan 11, 2024, 07:08 AM »
30* cloudy.

IW, I was able to get most of the "slop" out of my driveway yesterday morning, by afternoon what was left had mostly dried-up.

Yesterday's appt. was just a follow-up but and all is OK. She did get a RX for some medication for her cold she has been trying to get rid of.

Since I got up, the ice in the river up-stream must have broken up, as it is moving downstream.

Ice-45, Scout is one "very" happy dog now that the hair on her feet has been trimmed. She will let the groomer do it but not us. She and Mr. D would get along just fine, both like to go for rides and play in the snow.

Hope everyone is doing fine and have a good day...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4055 on: Jan 11, 2024, 08:22 AM »
IFF… happy birthday 🎂

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4056 on: Jan 11, 2024, 09:26 AM »
So two of the three boilers at work are down and then there's this.  ::)

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4057 on: Jan 11, 2024, 11:03 AM »
WW thank you for the b-day’s wish. Still trying to get caught up with things at the farm.  Latest wind and rainstorm with the dusting of snow only damage so far detected is the rolled roof covering on the front porch was blown off.  Linda says she is going to bake me a cake, my sister called with her birthday wish and said I shouldn’t try and put all the candles on, be safe and only do 1 lol 😂 aside’s from being in more firewood that’s about it for my plan today

Dave just looking at your forecast is making my teeth chatter, hope the boilers are an easy fix

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day
Bud

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4058 on: Jan 11, 2024, 08:35 PM »
 Good evening, 40 and cloudy outside. Given the rain on heels of the snow storm i was concerned about water drainage so far things do not look to bad still have to be concerned about possible black ice at night and early mornings as water drains towards two storm drains. I've noticed after the drainage work last month water is now seeping from the ground 20 to 30 feet to the right of where new drain line was installed.

A friendly reminder to my fellow New Yorkers the North bound Thruway lane closure scheduled for last Saturday will be done this Saturday night into Sunday morning. Starting at 8 pm the North bound lanes will close at Newburgh (exit 17) and you will take a detour to reach New Paltz and (exit 18) to continue your journey north. The lanes will reopen to traffic at 8 AM Sunday morning. Only one lane will be open in the construction area. They hope to get damaged overpass removed from over the North bound lanes. I assume the work on South bound lanes originally scheduled for this Saturday will be done on the weekend of Jan.20-21  weather permitting.
A follow up to the Busseto brand Charcuterie Sampler recall because of Salmonella contamination. Sam Club's issued an alert to customers to check packaging if they bought the product in December before recall was issued. The products have an expiration date of April 27,2024 so concern consumers will still have product in their homes. I will leave the lot number and establishment codes at end of this post.

Also if you recently bought scallops check to see if they are from Intershell International corp. of Massachusetts the scallops were purchased from an unlicensed harvester and may have been taken from restricted waters concerns about possible toxins in the scallops which can cause illness and possible death in some people. So do not eat raw scallops and scallops with the viscera and roe still attached Intershell also sells to restaurants so order another dish when out. Sorry but I did not see any codes other info on the scallops leads me to believe you would purchase them at seafood department of supermarkets or from a seafood store/fish market.
Keep a watch out for more information on the scallops from news media sources.

Old Goat sorry to hear about the two youths sadly this happens every Winter.
Ice Wander if we look at human history mankind has interfered with nature many times to meet our needs at the expenses of the environment and other life we share this planet with sometimes causing the extinction of species over time. The original article I saw on the Owl management plan was from Green Works i could not find it on their website once i had found the proper website so went to fish and wildlife website. The green Works article had a brief mention of how logging practices over the years and increase in human population over time both have caused problems for the spotted owl population. glad you neighbor could help you clear the slop from your driveway before it froze and caused you problems. may it have been another good therapy session for you today.
Icefisher-45 you are welcome i figured others might be interested in the Owl management article. glad our wife is home and has a day to rest. Also good that Mr. Dickens has access to the backyard now the most of snow has melted or been washed away by the rain .
Wallyworld the owl management plan is still open for public comment until Jan.16 Th and then will have to be approved at a later date so there maybe some changes to the plan if it is not dropped all together to due more research.
Hunts2long good to read you also got you driveway cleared of the sloppy snow. may the broken up ice not for any jams and cause flooding.
Drifter I hope the boilers are repaired and running not the time of year to be without heat for a prolonged period of time. May you not see any problems at your home from the extreme cold.
IFF Happy Birthday enjoy the cake. That is the problem with being away for an extended period of time come home and find many projects to complete. may the porch roof be an easy and not to expensive to repair.
Eddie hope you are doing well as your surgery date approaches best wished for you with the procedure .
I exchange emails with Whopper Stopper yesterday he is taking a break from posting until hopefully he has ice and can fish thinks we get tired of seeing him post that he spent the day puttering. I contacted him because like Icefisher-45 was concerned over his limited posting .

here is the info. on the Bussetto Charcuterie Sampler lot number-L075330300  Establishment codes are EST.7543B andEST.#47967 .

Have a good evening.
  Steve

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #4059 on: Jan 12, 2024, 04:35 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                        It's 25* and partly cloudy. ::)
                        H2l..............If I remember you have a paved driveway, mine is gravel and I have to keep the snow blowers scraper up until I can get a base layer
              made.  :whistle:  That's strange that Scout won't let you trim her paws. :blink:
                        Bud.............Happy Birthday. Enjoy the cake. :thumbsup:
                        Wally...........I hope the cold front that's moving east stays around for awhile. :unsure:
                        Steve......... Do stores take the products off the shelves as soon as a problem comes out? ???
                        Dave...........That sucks that two boilers are down at the same time, hopefully it can be fixed quickly. :unsure:
                        I-45............I'm glad Mr.Dickens can enjoy the backyard. :thumbsup:
                        My therapy appointment went well, my therapist introduces a new exercise every session, each one challenging. I'm feeling it this morning.
                        Not looking forward to tonight's weather, snow maybe 6" here and then rain.
                        I hope everyone has a good Friday either at work or out. Stay Safe and Healthy.

IW

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4060 on: Jan 12, 2024, 06:42 AM »
29* and cloudy.

IFF, Happy Birthday, tho' a day late.

IW, yes it is black top and once you get some bare spots the sun does it thing.

The lake is holding at just over 765 feet above sea level, which is about 13 feet above normal for this time of year.

Hope everyone has a good day and be safe....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4061 on: Jan 12, 2024, 09:01 AM »

Morning all another foot of snow and cold and nasty winds to follow the old toro started first pull and took care of the first dumping of snow. Drifter hope the boilers get back on line soon. Happy Birthday Bud. Work called off today first time I can recall. Maybe a bait run is in order. There was a dozen people out yesterday.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4062 on: Jan 12, 2024, 09:13 AM »
IW
As I get older the cold kinda sucks so I was going to just camp in state parks but Florida changed the rules making it even harder to get sites so I decided a piece of land was a better choice. ;)

Last night my furnace went down, so I have no heat and it's -44 with -65 wind chill.   :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4063 on: Jan 12, 2024, 09:23 AM »

How do you deal with that Drifter   

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4064 on: Jan 12, 2024, 09:39 AM »
Drifter….better find a coffee shop to warm up in until you have heat again!!!

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4065 on: Jan 12, 2024, 11:01 AM »
Good morning everyone, snow is melting away here and weather guessers are saying 50s tomorrow with rain. Not much on the planner today. Will take Mr Dickens to the lake.

IFF, Happy Belated Birthday 🎂.

Drifter, Hope your boilers get fixed soon.

Ice Wanderer, Great joke this morning. That’s good therapy is working.

Mr Clean, Thank you for contacting Whopper Stopper.

I hope everyone has a great day and a safe one.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4066 on: Jan 12, 2024, 12:53 PM »
  How do you deal with that Drifter   

Got a couple of heaters and my stove going right now.
Have one magnetic heater on my 500# propane tank but it's not enough.
Landlord it trying to find another and I have the propane guys coming to top up my tank.
I'm currently only 30% below full and still don't have enough pressure to run my furnace properly.
Way down on BTU's at the moment.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4067 on: Jan 12, 2024, 06:11 PM »
Stay warm man! Whew!

14 degrees here and blowing snow to beat all. Winter finally arrives. Saw actually walkable ice today first time all winter, private pond at a countey club outside the cities, prepping it for skating and hockey. Inside the cities yesterday, completely open water. Highs in the single digits and lower through the weekend, then low teens all week. I'll be on the ice next weekend for sure!

Wild week at work, but we're actually prepped for this cold and snow, so hopefully next week isn't too painful on us. Not going to do much this weekend if I can help it
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4068 on: Jan 12, 2024, 10:00 PM »
Good evening, 41 with light rain as I type do not think overnight low temperature will get near or below freezing. The Scallop recall was mentioned of Boston's ABC television affiliate station WCVB  I will lave a link to their website at end of post.
Ice Wanderer yes once a store is alerted to a recall that item is removed from the shelves and notice put up to inform customers. Also check done in store's warehouse section to see if there is more of the product tht needs to be pulled and return to distribution center. I can not say has fast this is done in every store. May you be over the soreness from the last therapy session. Pace yourself clearing snow tomorrow.
Hunts2long how high does the water level on GSL have to reach before it crests over the dam .It is not uncommon for dogs to be sensitive to people trying to groom their paws.
Old Goat glad your old Toro is running may it handle all thesnow clearing. I hope all is good with your mother.
Drifter i hope the home furnace is running along with the boilers at the college. Good that you have the heaters may you not see any frozen or cracked plumbing.Icefisher-45 Whopper Stopper and I have exchanged Christmass cards for a few years after his Brother in Law passed last year he sent me a reply with his Email address. It was good to hear all is well with him and the "Gils" . I hope Mr. Dickens enjoyed his time at the lake today.
Splattypus may you not have spent to many hours today clearing snow. Good to read ice is forming on lakes in your area.
Eddie i hope all is good with you and the family. Getting close to your surgery date may all go well for you on Monday.

Here is the link for Television station's website   https://www,wcvb.com   ABC channel 5 in Boston area .

Keep safe,stay healthy. best wished for all fishing this weekend.
   Steve

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4069 on: Jan 13, 2024, 05:29 AM »
Morning all,

IW....hope it won't be much longer before your therapist is able to cut you loose  :flex:

Drifter......fingers crossed the heat is running better today  :unsure:

H2L.....funny how dogs are sometimes better behaved with "strangers" when it comes grooming time  :wacko:

IFF.....hope the to do list is getting shorter  ;)

MrC.....seems there should be a better way to catch all the different "stuff" causing recalls BEFORE  it reaches consumers  :blink:

Eddie.....thoughts and prayers sent as you approach your surgery date  :)

WS......think we're all doing a lot of puttering while waiting for either ice or spring  ;)2

Looks like today is the end of the mild weather here at least for a week or so. Thankfully nothing near Drifter's weather tho  :pinch:

Have a good day. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4070 on: Jan 13, 2024, 06:25 AM »
38* and light rain.

WW, you are correct, Scout likes the groomer and IT is going to turn colder.

The NYC doctor's had the wife go get a swab for RSV, Covid and the Flu yesterday, just to be on the safe side. She got all the shots in the Fall but can't kick this cough she has. My brother called yesterday and told me to stay away, he and his wife have a bug.

I am bowling today in the "yearly" fun tournament for one of the woman leagues.

Hope everyone has a good day and be safe...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4071 on: Jan 13, 2024, 08:38 AM »
Well we made it up to Powell last night and as we pulled in it was 22 below here and only 5 below when we left the house down south. See that the temp is 22 to 25 below so around the lake it might be close to 30 below so making ice. The guys fishing the benefit derby must be having fun out there. Have not sold that many minnows so not sure how many are turning out for this one. If the weather guesses are right we should be back to around 20 for the highs and around 10 below for the lows so the derby next weekend should be a little better than this one maybe, depends on if the weather does what is says or just hangs on like it normally does. Oh and now need to fix my new plow as a pin that holds the plow to the plate lost the pin and then fell out and I stopped but it still twisted a little bit all fun but man it sucks with the new stuff and it seems like this side by side and plows have been unlucky but hopefully that changes soon.

Have a good one everyone stay warm and be careful with any snow removal. Now to help with some chores around here.

Update see it is -26 here in Powell and at home right now so the ice should be building quickly now.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4072 on: Jan 13, 2024, 10:06 AM »
WW seems like I get 2 things off the list and 3 more gets added

Sure feels a lot colder than the temperature reading’s. Almost had to laugh, got an alert on phone say winter storm warning.  2-5” of snow Monday-Tuesday.  Feeling a little run down,  could be the 4 vaccine shots.  Need to move more firewood closer making it easier to bring in, when needed.

Sure am enjoying this new wood stove 😃

Best to all, stay safe
Bud

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4073 on: Jan 13, 2024, 09:47 PM »
Good evening, Winter temperatures moving into my area getting down to the teens for the overnight low. Windy today weather guessers calling for the same tomorrow 20-30 mph winds and a high of 37.  There is an update to the recall on Quaker Oats products that was issued in December more products now included in the recall. To get information you may visit this website . www,quakerrecallsusa.com
Drifter may your furnace problem be repaired and your home back at a nice warm temperature.
Wallyworld there are federal and state agencies that due testing on products to keep the public safe but thing still get by the system . May the storm effecting Western NY. not head your way and cause problems.
Hunts2long may the swab be negative for the three virus's you mentioned and your wife just have a bad cold. Hopefully she can loose the cough in coming days. Experienced pet groomers have different methods of getting the animals they work on to cooperate Also after a few grooming by the same person a dog/cat should get comfortable with them and know the groomer is not trying to harm them during the process.
Fish/hunt4ever I hope it was a good meet for your children and their team. The sub-zero temperature most likely kept some people from entering the derby or ice fishing in general this weekend. may you see no problems from the extreme cold.
IFF so true about the chore list. Weather can be relative to where you live and life experiences coming from spending several years in Colorado 5 inches of snow is a minor inconvenience to you have to remember highway departments have better equipment and have spent more time plowing and sanding roads then their co-workers in Tennessee. When you share stories with your neighbors and others they probably ask how did you survive minus zero temperatures without windchill. like most of us give drifter credit for living where he does and what he goes through each Winter.
Ice Wanderer may you be recovered from yesterday's therapy session. May you and the rest of NY.'s "North Country not be hit to hard by the storm system moving east across the state .
OldSailor,Raquettedacker may things be good for you gentlemen and you families.

Looking like many of us will be able to get out fishing before this month ends take some time now to refresh your knowledge of ice safety. besides the 2 youngsters Old Goat mentioned in his post  two brothers in their forties died recently after breaking through thin ice on lake Otsego here in New York .

Keep safe and warm,stay healthy. best to all fishing.
  Steve

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #4074 on: Jan 14, 2024, 05:14 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                        It's 25* and snowing here on my hill. ::)
                        Steve.............With the constant weather changing this year, ice conditions can be deceiving, I hope everyone really takes the time to check
               the ice before venturing out. :whistle:
                        Dave..............I hope your landlord can get the problem resolved. :blink:
                        H2l................Hop efully the swab test negative for your wife. :unsure: I've never seen the GSL so high at this time of year. :whistle:
                        Wally.............What I did in the other storm worked, yesterday I didn't have any issues snow blowing my driveway :thumbsup:
                        Fish...............Wit h those temperatures ice should be building. :clap: I've never not gone fishing because it was too cold, but if the wind was
               blowing real hard, I've held off. :blink:
                        Bud...............That seems to be a standard issue with the to-do list, it keeps growing. :%$#!:
                        Yesterday morning I spent most of it clearing the snow around my place, then I had to get my neighbors dog to watch while they made a trip
               down state for the day. It was a good afternoon to watch football. Whopper Stoppper and I traded some text about the games.
                        I hope everyone has a good Sunday either at work or out. Stay Safe and Healthy.

IW

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4075 on: Jan 14, 2024, 06:35 AM »
25* and some clouds.

Had a good time bowling yesterday, didn't win the 50/50. Bowled on the same lanes as Nelson. He and I went to school together, played ball in high school, he was the class "clown" and hasn't changed.

IW, I am hoping with these up-coming cooler temps. they will be able to open the gates and take some water out.

Because the test were done on Friday, we don't expect to hear anything until Monday.

Have a good day and be well....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4076 on: Jan 14, 2024, 08:04 AM »
I see only 14 below this morning so warming up to doable Temps, well all of them I can get out in, just with the 15 mph winds yesterday it just seems to be harder then without any wind. Here in Powell it is 20 below so colder here than at home, which is not usually the case but I know a lot of people that are hoping that this stays up here for a bit to get some ice on a couple lakes up here so they can ice fish and not have to drive as far to get on ice, plus in a couple weeks there is another derby up here and most want some thicker ice so they can move around a bit better with their gear with motorized modes of transportation. See the post about one guide, I think, went through the ice and died such a tragedy to lose so many this year, as always be safe out there. Have a good one and hope everyone is staying warm in the cold, drifter hope you got the heat back to going.  Have a good one everyone.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4077 on: Jan 14, 2024, 09:40 AM »
-7f here this morning, chills around - 30. Fortunately the truck started this morning, but got me curious (especially after seeing what Drifter experiences), what do those who aren't lucky enough for a heated garage do with their vehicles to keep the battery from dying every time it gets so cold? I've replaced more car batteries in my 5 years in Minnesota than my whole life before!

The snowstorm mostly missed us, only about 2 inches here, but just a little ways south got punded. No complaints from me. Yesterday did a little baking and catching up on some Netflix. The poor dog is going stir crazy though, so today we might take her to the indoor dog park today for a little bit of quality time out of the house.

I hope everyone is doing well, staying warm, the snow removal is done, and you enjoy your day
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4078 on: Jan 14, 2024, 11:06 AM »
I do not have a heated shop but keep them in the shop and even I replace batteries from time to time, but I have noticed to keep them charged if you are not driving them daily has helped quite a bit for keeping batteries longer, especially in the boat over the winter charging them either once a month or once every couple months the batteries seem to keep better.

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4079 on: Jan 14, 2024, 12:04 PM »
Good day to open the bakery

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.