Author Topic: Let's Hear Your Prediction for First Ice in Alberta  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
Let's Hear Your Prediction for First Ice in Alberta
« on: Oct 22, 2022, 10:26 PM »
I got out on safe ice on Nov 21 last year and there were plenty out before me according to various boards.

With meteorologists calling for the 3rd La Nina winter in a row, what are your predictions for the 22-23 season?

I'll go with Nov 20 as a prediction for my first time out, which means less than a month to go.  :thumbsup:

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Let's Hear Your Prediction for First Ice in Alberta
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2022, 04:29 PM »
Withe temp heading downwards toward _-20 the next few nights some guys are saying they think the trout ponds will be good early next week.

Not for me. 4 inches of ice is what I consider safe to walk on.  The trout ponds may well be there in the next few days but no lakes.

I'll wait a few weeks.  BTW  6 yrs ago on Nov 11 I and a good friend had his boat on St. Maries fishn walleye.

SHOTGUN

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2022, 05:19 PM »
I got out on safe ice on Nov 21 last year and there were plenty out before me according to various boards.

With meteorologists calling for the 3rd La Nina winter in a row, what are your predictions for the 22-23 season?

I'll go with Nov 20 as a prediction for my first time out, which means less than a month to go.  :thumbsup:

Getting cold outside.  Time to heat it up on this forum.... haha

Week earlier for sure.  There could be some out there this weekend but next weekend there will be a handful of first ice posts for sure.  Prediction 12-Nov.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2022, 09:38 PM »
Probably some walk on around here by the end of the month but we have about a foot of snow now so thats going to slow things down a lot. Get the shack out maybe first week of December to middle of December.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2022, 05:06 PM »
Hearing now about 8" on the smaller lakes but guys weren't going out to far. This is in the East Central area.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2022, 10:59 AM »
-27 (C) this morning, suppose to be around that for the next week or so............should be good to go after that.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2022, 07:02 PM »
11" on the small lake I fish in East Central Alberta. Not enough for me to drive on but buddy phoned and said he is going out with his SXS to plow open access and pull the shacks out. Tomorrow the shack goes out.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2022, 03:29 PM »
Got the shack out today, about 11" ice so used the buddies SXS. Not much snow on the ice but he had to plow some drifts about 3-4' deep to get down to the lake.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2022, 05:15 PM »
Got the shack out today, about 11" ice so used the buddies SXS. Not much snow on the ice but he had to plow some drifts about 3-4' deep to get down to the lake.

What lake is that?

Yeah, heading to Gull for opening day.  I'm expecting 10-12 inches throughout.  I will report back.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2022, 09:22 PM »
I was out today, taped 13" of ice. Got a bit of a late start and things were slow couple small perch, and a couple small stockers, lots on the flasher but were not aggressive at all today...........but it was sure nice to get at it again.

Offline VelocitySk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2022, 01:10 PM »
Eyeflyer - what lake were you on?

Db

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2022, 10:28 PM »
Was out again today, managed to ice a few but still not very aggressive. A jig with cheese and a dropper off a jigging rap were the most productive today. Don't usually keep any trout but this year going to keep a few to smoke for snacks when my sons/family come home for Christmas

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.