The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Snow - - - Uhg  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Snow - - - Uhg
« on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:22 PM »
 Snow is not my friend :%$#!: :%$#!:No efect on open water, but can screw up 1/3" for a long time :%$#!: :%$#!:
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snow - - - Uhg
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:37 PM »
My sentiments as well. It messed us up in the Southeast last year, and it looks like this year will be the same story. Any lake with cover will take forever to make ice if even 3-4 inches fall. The other side of the coin is some of the big lakes only have ice in a few places. Still, you have to love the weathermen who whip everyone into a frenzy. More people watch the tube, and the suburban women go berserk in the supermarkets! Some day I'd like to live in an area where people actually take winter into stride, and don't try to create a crisis every time snow is forecast. Be safe if you're out and about, and watch out for those SUV's! Especially the ones with the women talking on the cell phones.

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:34 PM »
ah snow personalley i like wet leaves and snow but i work in a body shop so fixen those wrecks pays for my habits but lets at least first get a couple of good inches. got a trick though after the snow gets on top throw a few big rocks out to break up the ice the water will  then freeze the snow and form new ice continue till you can safely walk on top.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:09 AM »
With as cold as it is to get tonight with the snow it should be a light snow.  The winds are to pick up as well, so let's hope that it blows off the lakes.  I had 6 degrees at my house last night.  I was surprised it got that cold since it was 16 when I went to bed at 11:00. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:20 AM »
We should be OK, if it stays cold and the snow is light and will blow off.  If not it looks like a warm up for two days 34-36 should melt the snow on top if the ice and it will freeze back up at night.

Snapper 

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2005, 12:46 PM »
Actually, snow can have a positive on open water, by cooling it and if it's ready to freeze will lock up an entire lake pretty darn quick.  A lake can go from zero ice to 3" fast.  The only problem is that this ice is usually milky and not as strong as black ice.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:35 PM »
Here in the south hills of Pgh its snowin hard we got close to an inch in an hour so far guess its time to dig the snow blower out
 ::) ::) ::) :tipup:

Offline chachi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:42 PM »
down here in the south east, theyre saying 20-30mph winds during/after the storm. hopefully thatll blow a lot of the snow off the ice.

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2005, 11:25 PM »
hopefully this storm goes through quickly..  and blows snow off of already frozen ponds.. check out the long term forecast... we'll be fishing for sure by next weekend..

gair-z
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:22 AM »
I SAW UP TO A FOOT OF SNOW BETWEEN PGH AND HARRISBURG OUT EAST GOT POUNDED  MOFISH
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:33 AM »
Got 10 inches here.  Central PA.  The wind is howling now.  I hope this wind takes care of the snow on the lakes.  ;D
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:38 AM »
only 4 to 6 up North.  and it's light and blowable..   and it's blowing out there...wow..
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Glad to hear you guys are geting wind. I got 9 inchs of snow, and it's as calm as can be.....
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:27 AM »
We got the usual 3-4'' of compressed slop here in Del Co. I'm hoping the snow was lighter just west of here cause this crap will only move by melting! Hopefully, I can run up north this Mon. under the pretext of grouse hunting. Will report on any lakes up that way. (Tobyhanna?)

Offline Tim Hanford

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2005, 11:08 AM »
I have about 8 1/2 inches of snow just West of Harrisburg and it's pretty windy out there today.

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:29 PM »
Anybody hitting Lake Jean on Sat?
Always keep your line wet!

Offline shikepoke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2005, 03:59 AM »