Author Topic: Eating Bass?  (Read 58697 times)

PIKEGUY

Re: Eating Bass?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2006, 11:51 AM »

See. I told you guys they were good :roflmao:

PIKEGUY

« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2006, 12:23 PM »
It doesn't matter I guess, I rarely eat them anyway. I prefer sunfish and walleyes  ;D

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2006, 05:06 PM »
It doesn't matter I guess, I rarely eat them anyway. I prefer sunfish and walleyes  ;D

Hard to beat bluegills and walleyes but smallmouth bass 18" and smaller are excellent filleted.

:)

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

hali-man

« Reply #33 on: Oct 02, 2006, 06:46 PM »
Hard to beat bluegills and walleyes but smallmouth bass 18" and smaller are excellent filleted.

I'll admit that I eat bass.  :-X

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 02, 2006, 07:21 PM »
I don't mind people eating bass; but it kind of irks me when someone has a trophy (6 lbs or up) lying next to a pile of perch and blue gills. It's legal, so it's everyones right, but sometimes you wonder if its not that old macho thing:"My piles bigger than yours, etc." For the record, winter caught bass in the lower sizes taste OK, when taken from good, clean, lakes; but give me perch and gills any day, and I will keep tossing back the bass to get bigger still.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #35 on: Oct 02, 2006, 10:16 PM »
I don't mind people eating bass; but it kind of irks me when someone has a trophy (6 lbs or up) lying next to a pile of perch and blue gills. It's legal, so it's everyones right, but sometimes you wonder if its not that old macho thing:"My piles bigger than yours, etc." For the record, winter caught bass in the lower sizes taste OK, when taken from good, clean, lakes; but give me perch and gills any day, and I will keep tossing back the bass to get bigger still.

I feel the same way, if you are gonna eat them try to take the smaller ones and let the breeders go.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 03, 2006, 04:42 PM »
i don't eat them , but they look good on the wall :whistle:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

PIKEGUY

« Reply #37 on: Oct 04, 2006, 07:50 AM »
that is a waste you aint coning git on meat off a mount >:(

What?  :blink:

Offline Lindz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "And the whistle is screaming, terrapin."
« Reply #38 on: Oct 04, 2006, 08:26 AM »
What?  :blink:

:blink:

that is a waste you aint coning git on meat off a mount >:(

I think he said if you mount the meat you kan eat the mount.  :tipup:
   &                               

PIKEGUY

« Reply #39 on: Oct 04, 2006, 08:32 AM »
:blink:

I think he said if you mount the meat you kan eat the mount.  :tipup:

Oh. Yeah, makes sense. Same with mounting a pheasant or duck I guess.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #40 on: Oct 04, 2006, 03:13 PM »
that what fish are for eating not puting on the wall :tipup:

Don't you have a pic up with a pheasant though? It's kinda the same thing.  :-\

I know what you're saying though, with fish you could have a replica made and eat the fish...or release it. Most fish that are big enough for the wall aren't that good to eat anyways

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 04, 2006, 08:40 PM »
My buddy and I were into white perch and small smallmouth in a clear lake one time.
He didn't like unhooking fish and everything that he caught wound up in livewell (errr...
in the cooler).  Later that night when we had our fish fry, white perch and smallmouth....
I wound up liking the smallies a bit more.   Must have been all the fresh air, Wesson corn oil,
beer batter, beer, etc.

The only other time I ate a bass, I felt bad immediately after I started cleaning him.  I should have had the camera on the boat and then put him back.  He was a bit mealy.  He was a very old fish for that lake.  I write him, but it was probably a her.  Lord forgive, I killed a cow!

When I'm on the ice, I often put the real big perch back...not.  Put'em back in my bucket that is.
There are too many darn perch in the salmon lake I fish anyway!

To each his (her) own.  I just don't like to see wasted fish.  If you keep it, then eat it.  Make it's life mean something. 

Okay....let me have it.  I'm ready.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #42 on: Oct 05, 2006, 09:21 AM »
i got the meat off my pheasant ???

I'm not trying to argue...but how did you get the meat off it? I've never seen a mounted bird that someone took the meat from...but that's just me  :-\

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Oct 05, 2006, 04:51 PM »
I'm not trying to argue...but how did you get the meat off it? I've never seen a mounted bird that someone took the meat from...but that's just me  :-\
i got mine from my turkey he skinned the bird and gave the rest back.

why do i have to eat the fish if i keep it. i don't like most fish but i do like them as art and to me i don't feel a replica is the same. but thats just my opinion and i don't care what you do with yours so please don't care what i do with mine :)

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 29, 2006, 06:01 PM »
Rough skinning a fish or bird is not very difficult for an experienced taxidermist, and it's the skin that is used anyway. I can rough skin the carcass out of a fish in 10 minutes at the most. (Of course there is much more time involved scraping and getting the skin super clean for mounting)  However I won't do it for customers. Why? Because I can't guarantee my work bench or tools are sanitary. If someone got food poisoning or claimed to have been food poisoned I wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. And we all know how sue happy this country is.

As far as the taste of bass as some of you may know I have a niche market where I supply bass, trout, bluegill, and perch that I grow out in ponds on my property that I sell to other taxidermists, taxidermy schools, and replica makers. Last winter I needed some perch taken out of one of the ponds pronto for a school, but had taxidermy work I needed to get done pronto too. Anyway, to make a long story short I had two guys out icefishing that I told what size perch I needed, and if there were any bass under 15 inches to throw them back. When they showed me their catch they had about 15 laying on the ice about 13 inches. I was p***ed as I can't sell bass that small but I didn't say anything.  So I filleted them and deep fried them. I can tell you they were not as good as bluegills. Kind of strong actually. BTW those guys are never coming back. They blew it.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Holewatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • in a trance watching the flag
« Reply #45 on: Dec 03, 2006, 08:21 AM »
aint it trash fish I never liked the tast of bass.
I need to go to the bathroom, but it might flip up if I go.

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #46 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:21 AM »
bass are pretty good to eat they dont taste to fishy like a trout ..i always eat largemouth ..never tried smally but i know lagemouth are good to eat year round ..i usually dont eat one out of a pond with alot of houses around or if u know the water isnt the cleanest ..i dont keep it ..but it can be muddy bottom and stuff that dont matter ..i like them best filleted rapped in aluminum foil with butter salt and pepper and grilled  ;D

Catch A Buzz

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:28 AM »
In S E Michigan, the BASs :D that come from lakes with over 30 FOW seem to taste delicious, but from shallow ponds and lakes they have a bit of a muddy taste, kinda like the ROCK BASS that we catch so many of during the winter. Gotta beet them off with a stick! :D :tipup: :tipup:

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:13 AM »
Wow this topic is still going. Friend of mine says to bleed them out in water removes most of the strong fishy taste. been chatting with some of the perch fellas got some good recipies they sware buy for perch. If I catch any today gonna fillet them and chow down. :P

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lindz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "And the whistle is screaming, terrapin."
« Reply #49 on: Jan 20, 2007, 04:14 PM »
Wow this topic is still going. Friend of mine says to bleed them out in water removes most of the strong fishy taste. been chatting with some of the perch fellas got some good recipies they sware buy for perch. If I catch any today gonna fillet them and chow down. :P

If you do - A Great recipe called fire in the hole!!!!!

Soak the bass in gas!!!! poet and I did...nt.......

A Super variation.......

Soak in oil.  Come's out a bit smokier.

Let me know what you think.

Lindz

&                               

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:08 PM »
once I quit soaking my bass {or any fish} in water for an extended period of time they tast great.Soaking fish in water makes them strong. I just soak em in salt water as I  fillet them and then get them in a collindar inside a dish with some ice on top of them and in the fridge. Meat stays firm not mushy and the ice water drains out of the collindar and the bass are delicious!!!  Paul

Offline mnfishingdude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 43" Minnetonka Muskie - My First!
« Reply #51 on: Dec 28, 2007, 04:16 PM »
Yuck!! I'd rather eat pickeled herring ;D.

MMMM!  Pickled Herring!  Yes, bass taste great.  I don't care if it's Largemouth, Smallmouth, Rock, or White, bass just taste good.  But then again I like all fish.  My advice would be to take one home with you the next time you go out and fry it up with some Shore Lunch.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:42 PM »
i didn't wanna kill em, but a friend of mine wanted to try smallmouth. he shared some with me and it was excellent! gotta come out of cold, deep clean water in my opinion or it isn't worth it  ::)

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 31, 2007, 08:36 AM »
This Bass was marinated for two days then smoked.

These Bass were cooked like Bluegills....Panfried.

These are said up to about 5#

These Bass taste about like a Bluegill, but come from prostine waters that are clear and not muddy. Anyone that tastes the Bass I cook can not believe they are Bass cause they have "HEARD" about how muddy they taste. That is not true about the Bass I get from deeper watered lakes in SE MICHIGAN.

Farm pond bass and southern Bass taste terrible, but not these Michigan Bass. JMO

Offline freaknsweet17

• IceShanty Rookie
  • What Are you lookin at?
« Reply #54 on: Jan 25, 2008, 04:44 PM »
my dad caught a 6lber out of really dirty water and said it didnt taste very good so... :-\
ICE FISHING!!!

Offline Whitefish Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Mar 05, 2009, 05:23 PM »
i think bass r good eatin myself the smaller ones r better i dont keep any over  bout 16 inches after that they start gettin kinda soft so i just throw em back i eat the large mouth ive only ate a couple smallies

Catch And Release Strait To The Grease!!!!!!!

Offline BASSMAN STANN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~~~ FLAG-UP ! ~~~
« Reply #56 on: Mar 25, 2009, 09:03 AM »
I BELIEVE - Bass are Gods gift of food to all who want it.
For that i am grateful............
Besides, If cooked to taste they are delicious !  ;)2

BASSMAN
~~~~     Otis the sled dog.    ~~~~

Offline dan in pa

• IceShanty Rookie
Prep is everything
« Reply #57 on: Jan 05, 2010, 07:56 PM »
I found a marinade recipe:
bout half a bottle of soy sauce,  a gush (maybe 2 or 3 ounces) of lemon juice,  a half a gush of olive oil, and a couple tbs of minced garlic.  Soak it for 2 hours or so,  and if you are so inclined make gravy out of the marinade drain off.  (floured water makes gravy, simmered to thickness)

It was great, and my GF loved it too.  She's picky!

We had the pictured perch with it, and they tasted the same.  Preparation is everything.   HTH

Offline BASSMAN STANN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~~~ FLAG-UP ! ~~~
Re: Prep is everything
« Reply #58 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:16 PM »
I found a marinade recipe:
bout half a bottle of soy sauce,  a gush (maybe 2 or 3 ounces) of lemon juice,  a half a gush of olive oil, and a couple tbs of minced garlic.  Soak it for 2 hours or so,  and if you are so inclined make gravy out of the marinade drain off.  (floured water makes gravy, simmered to thickness)

It was great, and my GF loved it too.  She's picky!

We had the pictured perch with it, and they tasted the same.  Preparation is everything.   HTH
(Image removed from quote.)

I wow-ed my wife  with this recipe;
Put fish in zip-lock bag w/ enough olive oil to coat it. Then add to taste, lemon pepper, sea salt, a touch of oregano and finish w/bread crumb. Then like they say _ shake and bake.
~~~~     Otis the sled dog.    ~~~~

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:28 PM »
sinfully delicious! nice thick fillets

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.