Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

Is anyone still ice fishing in the state?

<< < (5/5)

jacksmelt71:

--- Quote from: jacksmelt71 on Mar 22, 2024, 11:09 AM ---squa pan.

--- End quote ---
went back a few days ago. still about 14in. of good blue ice. unfortunately, all this snow is going to turn it into a slush pit. im done with the hardwater. all the rivers are already opened up so plenty of places to hit after apr. 1, mid 40's again next week so the snows going to go quick.

MarkNFish:

--- Quote from: jacksmelt71 on Mar 22, 2024, 11:13 AM --- went back a few days ago. still about 14in. of good blue ice. unfortunately, all this snow is going to turn it into a slush pit. im done with the hardwater. all the rivers are already opened up so plenty of places to hit after apr. 1, mid 40's again next week so the snows going to go quick.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I put all of my ice fishing gear away.  No sense to fight the deep snow at this point. 

eiderz:

--- Quote from: MarkNFish on Mar 25, 2024, 05:53 AM ---Yeah, I put all of my ice fishing gear away.  No sense to fight the deep snow at this point.

--- End quote ---

Still a lot of good ice on Moosehead. The lake was booming for a couple of days before the snow. We had a bonfire on the edge of the lake with some friends Saturday morning. A couple of large trees came down in the December storms, we made good use of the brush left on the ice after we removed the logs. Although we weren't fishing, I drilled a few holes out of curiosity. Still well over a foot of good ice. Then came 2 feet plus of the white stuff. I tried riding my Expedition on the lake yesterday, epic fail. The powder was coming over the windshield and damaged some plastic over the engine. First time ever I thought the machine might not make it. I couldn't get on the lake to fish if I wanted to today. A week ago I was sure this year would be the earliest iceout ever on Moosehead, now I'm not so sure. Warm weather coming, but will it be enough?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version