Author Topic: Hummingbird ICE-55 cherry **popped** and Report (?)  (Read 1457 times)

Offline QuantumPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing at a Quantum Level
Hummingbird ICE-55 cherry **popped** and Report (?)
« on: Dec 07, 2008, 01:16 AM »
Wasnt seriously fishing, was test driving my Ice-55. I really enjoyed my playtime today.  i kept the plastic strip to keep the face clean,  im sure pics would have been clearer. Sorry if any are blurry

First off,  i was getting very frustrated, wasnt reading bottom,  every now and then blue slashes were freaking out,  the digital depth was cruising from 0 - 200 trying to snag the bottom,  fussed around with this for like 30 minutes.  then it dawned on me......check the transducer cable connection    BINGO!!!!!!

Now i was in business.  i had drilled some holes from shore  on out to deeper.  playing from 10 feet to 22 ish feet.   I was able to see a bare wire worm at 22 feet,  i dont knwo if thats a good thing or not.  But i was impressed.

Very cool to see perch come off the bottom and up to the jig and wire worms.  played with the zoom,  i understand that now, the back light is cool,  i have 3 options of color,  2 (3) colors and 1 (6) color options.  Still trying to understand gain,  but i adjusted it so the line of my hook wasnt to thick, but yet didnt fade away when i moved it.  Not sure if i was right on that yet,  but i got all season to perfect it.

Memory card got filled quick as we forgot to  empty it from the camera into the computer before the trip.  But we managed some.

Coming back to vehicle after drillin'

Here is my son trying to pose with a small perch, very small, LOL

The powerhead with a flash you can see i left the clear plastic on the face , lol,  im anal about keeping things clean :laugh:

powerhead with no flash.

Me with my Ice-55, and marmish rod.

I can....jig it, rip it, pop it, crank it.

Offline carpdoctor

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Springville,IA
Re: Hummingbird ICE-55 cherry **popped** and Report (?)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2008, 03:10 AM »
Congradulations on the new toy.  I am currrenty trying to decide between a Ice 55 or a LX 5  tough choice. yours looks nice though

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2008, 10:25 AM »
Great review! A lot of folks will be glad to hear there is another reputable competitor out there!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:25 PM »
congrats.  i didnt (still dont) know that much about them, but i was playing with them at the store the other day and i thought the search feature was pretty cool.  you can push that target button then move the purple line up and down the column and the digital display tells you the exact depth.  i thoguht it was pretty neat.

put more pics up and more reveiws of your use with it

fishwiz
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:38 PM »
I checked one out briefly at Gander today.  The guy showing it to me seemed to know his stuff with the machine.  I was wondering how fine the detail was on it.  I have a marcum and the separation in colors seems a bit finer than the hummingbird.  I only saw it on demo mode so I apologize if the question is stupid.  I like the larger "screen" but want to know how well it separates in a heavy weed situation.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline QuantumPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2008, 03:31 PM »
i  couldnt tell you about the weeds.  Im still a Noobie with them. 

I have the color setting so its    red-strong, yellow-middle,  and green- weak signals.   And ill read on the digital say   13 feet.....  and the red marking on  for the bottom is at that reading....  but yet  there is a bit of yellow and a bit of green on top of the red  a bit higher than the said 13 feet.  Are those weeds?  LOL

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2008, 03:48 PM »
Thanks for a first hand review! Have thought about trying one of them soon. Glad to see your son following in your foot steps. Based on previous experience with other finders, if you had the gain set so that you were able to see your lure/rig, I would suspect that it is possible the color bands above the true bottom may indeed have been weeds. Did you pull any up? Might want to try a bare hook next time and see if you can't snag something in those color bands. At least you'd know if it was weeds or not. Could have been a layer of detris close to the bottom giving you the return also.
And about that plastic, I still have mine on the screen of my cell phone that I've had for four years  ;D
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline QuantumPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2008, 04:05 PM »
i might just try that, maybe a larger than normal treble hook and snag some veggies.   And yes form this trip,  we only caught some small dinker perch.  But i knew thats all i would get there...it was just close to home and i wasnt to get this Sonar fired up!!!!  Love it

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Thank you for the review...it is more than I can fined as far as "True Ice" experience on the unit...and "Bro" aint caughing anything up ::)
I just got one and am psyched...at least to play with it.
I am an owner of an LX-5 and FL-18...I had to find out if Hummingbird is ready to "Play the Ice Game" ???
Will give full reports on the Bird,as we have safe ice here in Central New York...at least for now.
Peace out chicken phat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.