Author Topic: new tri-beam transducer for vexilars  (Read 548 times)

Offline zimmy

• IceShanty Rookie
new tri-beam transducer for vexilars
« on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:41 AM »
I own a FL18 with stock transducer wondered if the new tri-beams are worth the money. Thanks for the help!

Offline on_point

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: new tri-beam transducer for vexilars
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:24 AM »
The vex fl-18 I believe comes standard with the 12 deg transducer.  This is generally the most versatile transducer on average for the most depths.   90 percent of the time people will probably use this setting unless you fish very shallow water for say panfish than the 20 deg on the tri beam or if you say smelt fish where an 8 degree might come in handy to reduce clutter from shear numbers of fish in the sonar cone.

I am really wanting one just for the reason I move alot and am in constant search of the fish.  With the Tri beam I can set it to 8 degrees crank up the sensitiity and guessing i can probably find  bottom with my Fl-8 through 10 inches of ice with out drilling a hole.   Once I find my bank i want to fish switch it to 20 degrees and see if I even have some fish in the general area by doubling my sonar cone. 

Personally I will most likely still use the 12 deg 90% of the time for fishing but will use the other degs as tools in my bag to hopefully help me find fish sooner.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:38 AM »
the narrow beam is great to fish around structure ,because your cone will read the highest point of the drop giving you only part of the bottom , but in general 12 degree is just fine for all around fishing had a 19 let it go on my 8 put the 12 on my 18 ,

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:55 AM »
Vexilar is saying that the tri beam should be available for purchase by the end of the month.  I wish they were available now as I need to buy a new one anyway.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.