Author Topic: flasher or graph?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
flasher or graph?
« on: Feb 01, 2009, 06:37 AM »
Hi all,

Need some help getting in to the 21st century.  ;D I am still using a chunk of lead to find my depth. I got rid of the wife and the house is paid for so I can afford to buy one of these fancy depth finders. I have been checking out all machines i see on the ice and just about read this whole thread on Electronics and I am just as confused as ever.

I really like trout fishing thou the ice, so I am in deep water most of the time but like most of you, I am sitting in my shanty jigging. I would perfer a graph, but have been impressed with the vex-18/20 ultrapack (friend had one) I also like the way it is bundled with a battery pack. I was very impressed to see the vex pick up my 1/32 oz jig down 35 feet :o

So my question is, is there a packaged graph like the vex that show the fine detail?

Thank you for your help

Zern

"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
Re: flasher or graph?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:33 AM »
if you're wanting something that will work as a flasher and as a graph, check out the Lowrance X67C

X67C all you need to know!
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:43 AM »
Any brand of electronics will make you a better fisherman........that being said I fished with a FL18 ultra pak for three full winters and this winter went with the Lowrance X67c ice machine.  No more flashers for me...  Did the vex work, yes but I surely like the infinite number of settings on the X67.  One big thing for me was being able to zoom a section of the water column where I want not just the bottom 6 foot like the vex is limited to.  The X67 will let you zoom down to an 18 inch section of the water column at any depth you wish. 

I was fishing a lake the other day and dropped the smallest jig I owned down to the bottom in 88 fow and the X67 showed the 1/64th oz. jig with no problem..........took bad all that was down there was dink perch.....lol 

Offline trucker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:46 AM »

X67C all you need to know!
I agree my friend has one and I just ordered one cant wait for it to come in
Hang out with the kids or go fishing......Can I take the kids out fishing?

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:55 AM »
Lowrance makes some really nice units, they have a better zoom on them then the vex, plus they have flasher mode and graph.  and you can also put it on your boat in the summer.  i love mine!  asyou can tell
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:28 PM »
wow, that X67c is a nice macine. Thanks to all who responded.

" was fishing a lake the other day and dropped the smallest jig I owned down to the bottom in 88 fow and the X67 showed the 1/64th oz. jig with no problem..........took bad all that was down there was dink perch.....lol "

That was what i was looking for

Thanks again,
Zern
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2009, 12:57 PM »
I would do some more checking and take a serious look at a flasher like a Vexilar, MarCum or Humminbird before I would buy a Lowrance ice unit.  I have run them all, do a little more research and test a buddies unit if you can before you spend your money.

Scott Steil

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:15 PM »
There is nothing a vex can do that a lowrance can't.  A lowrance is, well at least the m68 ice map is a better investment.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:30 PM »
It sounds like with no wife you have some time on your hands.  Make sure you try as many units as you can before you make your purchase.  Go and try the Lowrance.  There is alot to learn and alot to tweak.  Its not the simple, can't-screw-it-up machine that your friends vex is. My buddy and I split a lowrance a few years ago to see if it was worth it.  Well, let me say this much, don't think you can go to the lake and learn the thing on the fly, it does not work that way.  There is alot to figure out to get it to work well, you will spending alot of time with manual in hand tweaking this and that until it works right, unlike the vexilar where the only thing you adjust is the gain.

BTW, i fish in 180 FOW and my fl-18 reads a 1/4oz buckshot spoon all the way to the bottom with no issues. 

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2009, 05:16 AM »
I got rid of the wife

Congratulations! 

kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor