Author Topic: Looking for review on Eskimo Augers  (Read 19535 times)

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Looking for review on Eskimo Augers
« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Just got back from fishing the porcupine hills near Swan and the auger Z51 Shark worked like a charm.  Like I mentioned previously it would stall out after a few holes.  I carefully measured my 20:1 ratio (first 20 hours is this ratio then 25:1) using graduated cylinders with brand new Jiffy 2 Cycle oil and new high octane gas.  I drilled 20 holes and for the first time it did not stall.  I was using oil from last year so maybe that was the deal.  The manual does mention the clutch has to be broken in for the first 2 hours or it would stall.

Problem fixed and caught some nice fish up there.  So much snow that there was 3 inches of water on the ice after drilling holes.  Only 18 inches of ice though which is odd for March!

I have just read through the manual for my Z51, and cannot see where it recommends using a richer fuel mix for break in period.  Did you get this infor from Eskimo?

Thanks,
Ted

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #31 on: Mar 26, 2011, 09:27 PM »
I have an Eskimo Mako 8" and it's awesome. However, I've come to like 10" holes, so if I were re-buying probably that 10" Z-51 would be my pick.

The Mako has a bit over 100 holes drilled by now, 2-4ft of ice.  and it always started just fine, but after about 75 holes it was like a switch flipped and instead of taking 3-5 pulls to start it now starts on the first pull.
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline panfishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish!
« Reply #32 on: Mar 26, 2011, 09:29 PM »
I have a Shark Z51 I got this year. At first, it was hard to get going, it took some "working in"
Now its awesome, in the cold, 3-5 pulls max, thats really cold, normally, 2 pulls max. I do find that when it full to the rim with gas it works beter. I also have to use really fresh gas, and I use 50:1
Looooooooooooove to fish, born to fish.
Let em' big suckers go!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.