Author Topic: Looking for review on Eskimo Augers  (Read 19536 times)

Offline poor_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for review on Eskimo Augers
« on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:27 AM »
Good day there chaps,

I am getting tired of cranking it out with my hand auger...especially in ice 30" +, and was thinking of an Eskimo Auger, now I know some of you picked these up in the last little while.  How are they preforming in the cold and in particular the thick ice?

Look forward to hearing from you,
Cheers

Offline Stevie B

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking for review on Eskimo Augers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2008, 10:03 AM »
I picked up a 1.2hp Eskimo Stingray last year.  I have used it several times in -30º without an issue.  Starts really easy.  Doesn't drill the fastest, because the 1.2hp is really geared down to cut.  Have drilled many holes in 30"+ ice.  I picked it up from St.Andrews Parts and Power for $199.  I think he still sells them for that price.  Long term I don't think it will last as long as a Jiffy or a Strikemaster, but so far I am really happy with it.

Offline FoxyCleo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2008, 10:19 AM »
I have two Eskimo Barracuda's 8" never had problem with either, when its cold takes a liittle time to start, went through two feet of ice no problem, i'm very happy with mine. ;D

Offline WALLEY HUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2008, 12:18 PM »
Good day there chaps,

I am getting tired of cranking it out with my hand auger...especially in ice 30" +, and was thinking of an Eskimo Auger, now I know some of you picked these up in the last little while.  How are they preforming in the cold and in particular the thick ice?

Look forward to hearing from you,
Cheers
I've been using one for 5 years and i haven't had a problem yet (8" baracuda). I haven't even changed the spark plug yet. It doesn't drill as fast as a jiffy but sure does the trick. it works good when you have two guys holding the auger, one guy on each handle. i have to say that i'm quite content with it.
Jacques

Offline J-Kap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2008, 01:11 PM »
I picked up a 1.2hp Eskimo Stingray last year.  I have used it several times in -30º without an issue.  Starts really easy.  Doesn't drill the fastest, because the 1.2hp is really geared down to cut.  Have drilled many holes in 30"+ ice.  I picked it up from St.Andrews Parts and Power for $199.  I think he still sells them for that price.  Long term I don't think it will last as long as a Jiffy or a Strikemaster, but so far I am really happy with it.

I got the same one.  Works good so far.  Way better than a hand auger.

Offline poor_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2008, 02:49 PM »
Thanks very much for the input,

I have just about got myself convinced to just go for it, I mean what is $200 compared to the hours of time put in on the ice.  Break that up over a couple of seasons and I probably spend more on the snacks and odd beer (or many) in any given trip.  (I can convince myself of anything with this kind of reasoning).

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:16 PM »
The first hole you drill is the expensive one.......$200.00.Progessively cheaper after that ;) ;).You'll soon be wondering as to why you waited to purchase a gas auger.

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:49 PM »
If you can still find one of the models with a Tecumseh engine that would be better than the Chinese motors they have on them now. Tecumseh will run forever; tried,tested, & true. However, the chinese motors; who really knows????? & the parts are VERY expensive compared to Tecumseh.
My dad had an Eskimo Mako with 2hp Tecumseh....excellent auger. He just got it all re-done & sold to a gentleman on another site.

Offline gater man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2008, 10:51 PM »
 :) :)I have one with the 2 hp techumse and love it .Ihave a 9 inch extn on it and it cuts thru 30 plus in of ice .last year I had a10 in jiffy stealth also agreat auger but found it was just too heavy . I have a very weak back so the eskimo being a lot lighter does it for me.
TEAM ICE SHANTY

Offline poor_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2008, 05:22 PM »
Thanks very mcuh everybody, I bought an Eskimo Sting Ray today and it worked dynamite.  We punch a lot of holes today and it payed off we found fish.  I am really surprised nobody said anything about me grinding it out with my hand...this is a classy board.

Cheers

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2008, 08:01 AM »
Thanks very mcuh everybody, I bought an Eskimo Sting Ray today and it worked dynamite.  We punch a lot of holes today and it payed off we found fish.  I am really surprised nobody said anything about me grinding it out with my hand...this is a classy board.
Cheers
That's probably because we've all been there ourselves......I still bring the hand auger along for back-up but dread the day I need to use it again in 30 inches of ice......the "good old days" they weren't  :laugh:
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:46 PM »
Anyone with the Eskimo augers have an issue the first few times they had the unit out.  The engine starts fine and drills great but loses power.  The engine still runs but there is little tourque.  I have to restart again and its fine.  I read the clutch has to be broken in for the first 2 hours!  Is this true?

Offline poor_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2008, 09:46 PM »
So far I have only puched 20 holes or so in 36" of ice and it motored right through...I will be heading out again thursday after work and then I would imagine at least one day this weekend, so if things change I will let you know.

Offline snap-on

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:24 AM »
I got a jiffy lightning i bought 5 years ago and just had to line the recoil up once and this thing will buzz though any amount of ice you put under it. I had to put on my 12" extention on the weekend and it went though that ice like butter!! So all and all i am really happy with it!!!!

Offline bmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then Catchem
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Beachcomber, i have an Eskimo Mako 43cc (1.8hp) In the manual it say to mix the gas 20-1 for the 1st 20 hrs then 25-1 afterwards. Check your manual and to see what it has to say. Perhaps that may be part of the problem? mine runs great when it has fuel  ;)

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2008, 10:49 PM »
I thought that may be the problem but I checked my ratio and it was ok!  Its not that big of a deal but will check out some more things, thanks for the reply.

Offline poor_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2008, 09:22 AM »
Really, 25:1?  Mine (stingray 1.2hp) just wants a 50:1 in the manual, but it has been refurbished  and now I was told 40:1 which seems reasonable.  25:1 seems really rich.  What engine is on yours?  I have the Viper.

Offline Fish_whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2008, 03:45 PM »
I picked up the 1.2 hp stingray at Christmas and have used it pretty well every weekend since. The first few times I was using it she would stall after about 8 holes. Now, it rips through no problem. I was envious of the big 3hp motors before I bought my baby 1.2hp  but when I can go out there and have my hole drilled before they get their auger started the advantage of the stingray become apparent. I am 100% satisfied with mine and would recommend it to anyone. I think I paid 179 or 189 at wholesale sports (plus tax).

Offline Fishin Freak

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I suport PETA.. People Eating Tasty Animals
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2008, 04:05 AM »
Hi everyone. I picked up a mayco 1.8 with the Q10" and have had no probems ;D. It may not be as fast as the big jiffy's and strickmaster but good blades and good gas all I've done. The owners manual that I got was only in french ???. So at www.geteskimo.com You can get any eskimo auger owners manual online, It say 50/1. Thats what I've been using, I did hear of a guy that ran 25/1 and had to send it back to get fixed

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2008, 06:36 PM »
Just got back from fishing the porcupine hills near Swan and the auger Z51 Shark worked like a charm.  Like I mentioned previously it would stall out after a few holes.  I carefully measured my 20:1 ratio (first 20 hours is this ratio then 25:1) using graduated cylinders with brand new Jiffy 2 Cycle oil and new high octane gas.  I drilled 20 holes and for the first time it did not stall.  I was using oil from last year so maybe that was the deal.  The manual does mention the clutch has to be broken in for the first 2 hours or it would stall.

Problem fixed and caught some nice fish up there.  So much snow that there was 3 inches of water on the ice after drilling holes.  Only 18 inches of ice though which is odd for March!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2008, 06:38 PM »
24:1 for my 3 horse cobra.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2009, 02:19 PM »
Really, 25:1?  Mine (stingray 1.2hp) just wants a 50:1 in the manual, but it has been refurbished  and now I was told 40:1 which seems reasonable.  25:1 seems really rich.  What engine is on yours?  I have the Viper.
hey, i bought the same auger a while ago, and although it hasnt hit the ice yet it seems pretty decent! how have you really found yours? any issues? how fast does it drill? i like the fact its nice and light...
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline Stingsilda

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishin was good; it was the catchin that was bad
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2009, 03:47 PM »
Used the Mako last year for the first time.  Worked great all year even through big ice with the 18" extension.  Lots of power.  I think its built in China so don't know how long it will continue being "trouble free" but so far so good.  Its also much better price than the Jiffy so you can take it from there.  Good luck.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2009, 04:39 PM »
I picked up the 1.2 hp stingray at Christmas and have used it pretty well every weekend since. The first few times I was using it she would stall after about 8 holes. Now, it rips through no problem. I was envious of the big 3hp motors before I bought my baby 1.2hp  but when I can go out there and have my hole drilled before they get their auger started the advantage of the stingray become apparent. I am 100% satisfied with mine and would recommend it to anyone. I think I paid 179 or 189 at wholesale sports (plus tax).
what Wholesale sports did you get yours at??? my stingray was $309!!!
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2009, 06:17 PM »
I got an Eskimo Stingray from St Andrews Parts & Power (just north of Winterpeg). I had alot of problems with it being hard to start last year. The spark plug wire broke, the recoil broke and the carb didn't pump fuel. I took it back and they fixed it up on warranty...they were good guys to deal with.

The Stingray is definitely a cheaper end model but for the price it beats hand bombing it out there on the ice. I've used it a few times this year now and it definitely starts alot better but its still not running right. I don't think its revving out like it should. So Im still not totally impressed with it, but its a work in progress so far.

Stevo

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:57 PM »
Too bad about the Stingray.Know a few who have them and never had any problems.Have no idea as to who did the warranty work but if you come to the Peg my suggestion would be to drop the auger off at Cummings on Marion for them to look at.They do great work at a fair price.Had my Jiffy tuned there as well as several small engine jobs done by them over the years.All performing flawlessly after the work being done.

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:07 PM »
Hey BB,

Thanks for the heads up Ill keep that in mind. Im planning on warming it up one of these days and playing with some of the carb setting to see if I cant get it to rev up a bit more. Seems like its just in need of a little tweaking.

Offline bmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then Catchem
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:37 AM »
I have problems with my Eskimo MAKO leaks gas at the grommet on the fuel tank, lousy design, I only fill it up 1/2 way and be careful how I lay it down when I transport it

I had a lot of starting problems last year , a fuel line was very crimped so I changed it out and I threw out the lousy "Torch" sparkplug and replaced it . starts 1st pull now

Offline J-Kap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2009, 01:52 PM »
I also bought a stingray at St andrews parts and power.  Works great.  No problem throught the ice on the Red last year.

Offline Bo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2009, 05:36 PM »
I have an 8" stingray and it has worked fine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.