Author Topic: Anyone ever converted a camper into a "rolling shack"  (Read 15649 times)

Offline tommy jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Welcome Back Everyone!

Just curious if anyone out there has made a camper trailer into an ice fishing shack?

Just exploring the option so any comments, advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
If someone has done this and wouldn't mind posting some pics that would be fantastic!

Trying to decide if it is worth it or not as some people love em and some hate em ???

Thanks in advance for any and all input:)

Have a Great Hardwater Season Everyone, Looking Forward to a Great Season BUT AS ALWAYS....BE SAFE OUT THERE ;)

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Anyone ever converted a camper into a "rolling shack"
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2011, 11:53 PM »

its been awhile since i posted a picture so hopefully this works....its a pic of my pop-up camper converted into an ice shack on wheels...this was just the framing of it but all we did after that was wrap it with metal siding , same for the roof , then cut 3 holes in the floor and there you have it.....i love that little shack....ill try to find pics of it completed with the satellite dish and all....
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2011, 08:57 PM »
I haven't built one myself but have seen pictures of a few here on IS over the years.A fellow out in Auglen Pk. had one back in 2001 but i haven't seen it since.Pretty cool set up to fish from

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Saw one last year on Lake Manitoba , but they hadn't blocked it up and sadly they came and torched it on the lake ! Shingles gave a lot of toxic smoke that got cared with the wind for miles .It did look like it would have been a sweet shack .........but block them up so that they don't freeze in on the ice
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline pansycitylimits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2011, 12:27 PM »
I have one that I hope to use. The plan is to get a spare set of rims and weld up some skis to the rims, then roll it to the lake and snowmobile it from there(just change rims on shore)

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:57 AM »
I have one that I hope to use. The plan is to get a spare set of rims and weld up some skis to the rims, then roll it to the lake and snowmobile it from there(just change rims on shore)
Try these.

Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2011, 01:01 AM »
Welcome Back Everyone!

Just curious if anyone out there has made a camper trailer into an ice fishing shack?

Just exploring the option so any comments, advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
If someone has done this and wouldn't mind posting some pics that would be fantastic!

Trying to decide if it is worth it or not as some people love em and some hate em ???

Thanks in advance for any and all input:)

Have a Great Hardwater Season Everyone, Looking Forward to a Great Season BUT AS ALWAYS....BE SAFE OUT THERE ;)
I turned one into a hunting shack for my wife.  Kept the bench seats and table in it.  Installed a wood stove and she is quite happy! Also put a 12 volt battery and power inverter in it.  Hooked up led Xmas lights to it.  Doubles as a warm up shack for snowmobiling.

Camper $100.
Stove  Christmas gift.
wood  mostly salvaged.
Memories in it,  PRICELESS!!!!

Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline stukontheice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2011, 03:56 PM »
i have a 21 foot terry camper i made into an ice shack! i keep the wheels on it and put skirting around it to keep wind out. i wish i could get a picture of it on here, hopefully some time.

Offline M B jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2011, 12:24 PM »
I think I'm going to build one of these bad boys myself. Any tips? What do you like about them/don't like about them. I still need an old trailer, I'm only a student so I'm looking for a free one rotting on someones property... But finally got a lead! (Hopefully!) Thanks for your input everyone!

:tipup: FISH ON  :tipup:
The fishing was good, it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Bazinga

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2011, 08:09 PM »
I attempted to convert one last year but when I started to demo it I found it to be beyond salvageable. This actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I ended up stripping it right to the frame and starting from square one. It turned out great!  Its pretty much a permi' on wheels.  I dont even unhook it from the truck.  I just drive out onto the lake, park it, start the stove, and by the time I blast the holes (4) its warm and ready to rock!  When it comes time to pack up for the day, I just clean out the stove, snap the covers on the holes, close the shutters and pull it home.  I really like the fact that I never have to worry about  showing up at the shack to fish and finding it broken into or burnt down.  I just keep all of the gear in the shack so its always ready to go...just hook up and pull out. Just an idea....

Offline tommy jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2011, 10:12 PM »
I attempted to convert one last year but when I started to demo it I found it to be beyond salvageable. This actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I ended up stripping it right to the frame and starting from square one. It turned out great!  Its pretty much a permi' on wheels.  I dont even unhook it from the truck.  I just drive out onto the lake, park it, start the stove, and by the time I blast the holes (4) its warm and ready to rock!  When it comes time to pack up for the day, I just clean out the stove, snap the covers on the holes, close the shutters and pull it home.  I really like the fact that I never have to worry about  showing up at the shack to fish and finding it broken into or burnt down.  I just keep all of the gear in the shack so its always ready to go...just hook up and pull out. Just an idea....

Any pics that you could post Bazinga?
Sure would like to see it.

Offline M B jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2011, 03:49 PM »
I would too! that's the idea that I'm shooting for!

Offline Bazinga

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Despite being a member for few years (recent handle change from "WEMS4350") I have yet to post a picture.  I will figure it out and get them up in the next couple days.

Still a little soft but Shouldn't be long now!!!!!!!!!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2011, 05:08 PM »
i didnt use a camper but i used a work trailer and gutted it and turned it into a rolling permy ^^ put a few benches/bunks in. insulated it with 1'' HD foam. wired it up for 12v "lights/fans/stereo" 

would have prefered a camper just for the fact you could maybe salvage some gooddies out of it. cushioned seats/vented heaters w/e.

worst thing i had to deal with was the steel fram and the axle.  first thing you want to look at is where you CAN put the holes in the floor. its tough on mine and had to design it around where you can jig.  after that figure out where your heater can be.

after that its all gravy !

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Got a traditional shanty, but i am weary of making one with wheels. Thats the only way it can get on and off the ice so if there stuck pop etc you are going to have to fish it out in the spring or something. They are cool thought and easy to transport on bare ice or road.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2011, 05:14 PM »
comes on and off the ice way easier than any shack ive ever had.   will never run an ice shack with ski's or runners ever again.

axles and wheels FTW!   

will be doing the drop axles next year ^^

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Matt one of the worst shacks you can bring to Lake Winnipesaukee is wheeled one, people forget them or the weight makes them when it warms up sink a good amount. Then it freezes and its a pain.

Offline Bazinga

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2011, 03:28 PM »

Offline M B jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2011, 03:40 PM »
That looks GREAT!!!  How long did it take to build??  You like it??

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Sweet!

Offline fishinfirefighter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2011, 03:43 PM »
That is a sweet looking set-up.
I think for next winter I'll have to look at makeing something like that. I've got a pop-up that I use now and for when I'm just going out or  going with the guys it's fine.
But I've got a littleo ne who's getting to the age where she'll be starting to come along (she'll be 2 next winter.) I think a permi style shelter with a wood stove will be a better option. A little warmer and drier than the pop-up.

Offline Bazinga

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2011, 03:48 PM »
It took a few weeks to build but most of that was perfecting the design and collecting the materials. Most of the stuff was bought from Kijiji or scavenged off of buddies. I love it!!  She heats up well (had it up to 34 degrees in there), pulls good, and  has all of the amenities of a permi without having to worry about break-ins or vandalism. And if the fishing sucks....just pull up the hole sleeves and relocate! (even keep the fire going!) Granted I cant take it out to the remote locations but for everyday use its perfect!

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2011, 04:01 PM »
My buddies and I have 3 popup camper shacks and they work great. In the spring I'm building one out of a boat trailer!!;-)

Offline Bazinga

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2011, 04:24 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.