The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 161827 times)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #480 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:52 PM »
See my above post, I don't work for clam, had 2 other guys with me that were amazed!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #481 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:35 PM »
today I made sure to go out with a full battery and keep count of holes.  I drilled 18 holes through ~24" (6-8" of frozen slush/gray ice and 18" of solid ice) and still had half a battery when I got done. This is with the m18 fuel on clam plate with 7"lazer auger.  This was on a small pond so I didn't need to drill any more to cover all the sections I wanted to.  I'm looking forward to using it on a bigger body of water that I have to follow the fish more.

Offline RLS62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #482 on: Mar 09, 2015, 06:15 AM »
Is that Acme tools in CR

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #483 on: Mar 09, 2015, 01:05 PM »
Had a fun day fishing Saturday. used m18v fuel with a 6" jiffy auger. drilled 25 holes with the first battery. drilled 18 with the second battery and had a lot of charge left. I am defiantly a fan of the drill plate. when you drill that deep, control is very handy. click on pic to watch video.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #484 on: Mar 09, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Looks like you need the extension!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #485 on: Apr 12, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Now I'm packing my ice gear away, and I can't get the adapter off the drill. I placed a long Allen wrench into the pin holes and tried to use a pipe on it and ended up bending the wrench.  I'm going to try heating the adapter up and try again. Almost thinking about leaving it on the drill, but then I won't have a multi use tool which is why I bought the drill in the first place. It's worked great and Im not regretting the plate set up at all, but getting that chuck off the drill was a project itself, now getting the adapter swapped off is annoying.  Then again, now I have the batteries and charger, ordering another bare drill doesnt cost nearly as much...

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #486 on: Apr 12, 2015, 07:51 PM »
About $95 delivered to the door, that's what I did!!

Offline jakefetch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #487 on: Oct 16, 2015, 09:51 AM »
Guys ACME Tools has a pretty good deal on the Milwaukee Fuel M18 2604-22.  It is $249 with free shipping.  It comes standard with 2x 3 amp batteries, and right now they are adding an extra 4 amp battery free.  This deal was good enough to get me off the fence about buying one!

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #488 on: Oct 16, 2015, 08:32 PM »
You can get the new model from northern tool for about the same price or cheaper. comes with 2-5ah batteries
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200653792_200653792
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200653794_200653794
Use code 243938 on check out to save $50. Coupon code is good through tomorrow.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review NEW CLAM PLATE !!!!!!!!
« Reply #489 on: Oct 16, 2015, 08:44 PM »
New Clam Plate ...No CHUCK Removal Required
Figured I add this as this thread is hot again .

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/augers/drill-auger-conversion-kit.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline biggie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #490 on: Oct 16, 2015, 09:50 PM »
So do you just tighten the chuck onto the bearing assembly?  Was looking into rung one of these this year and would be great to not have to take chuck off

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #491 on: Oct 17, 2015, 07:06 AM »
yup, that's it.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #492 on: Oct 17, 2015, 08:31 AM »
The Clam plate was a hot item the last two seasons... with the NEW redesigned plate it  is certain to get more attention and pull people off the fence about getting one . If you want one better get it quick .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #493 on: Oct 17, 2015, 08:43 AM »
No Doubt.... everyone seems to sell out quick...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #494 on: Oct 17, 2015, 08:57 AM »
Clam has been listening  to its customers and the insights that they provided ...the first ones didn't have rubber coated handles ...I think the made the drill stand slots longer on its second 2.0 versions as well as the coated handles ....a lot of complaints/concerned about the drill chuck removal ...that has been addressed with its 3.0 version . :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #495 on: Oct 17, 2015, 10:55 AM »
I guess I needed to wait another year on buying this o well waiting to try the old version come on ice. 

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #496 on: Oct 17, 2015, 08:37 PM »
Off a Milwaukee Fuel Gen2 review……"There are much subtler differences that you can only notice when the tool is taken apart like this. For one, the drive components are larger. To handle the higher torque, the chuck spindle connection is now 9/16″ wide, from 1/2″. To clarify, this is the connection between gearbox and chuck; the chuck is still a 1/2″ metal single-sleeve ratcheting type."

So for us guys that have the 1st version Clam plate, we can't mount our drill adapter to this new Gen2 Milwaukee Fuels? Or am I not reading this right?  If not, what a disappointment to wait for the new perfect drill for the plate and now can't get one.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #497 on: Oct 17, 2015, 09:57 PM »
Off a Milwaukee Fuel Gen2 review……"There are much subtler differences that you can only notice when the tool is taken apart like this. For one, the drive components are larger. To handle the higher torque, the chuck spindle connection is now 9/16″ wide, from 1/2″. To clarify, this is the connection between gearbox and chuck; the chuck is still a 1/2″ metal single-sleeve ratcheting type."

So for us guys that have the 1st version Clam plate, we can't mount our drill adapter to this new Gen2 Milwaukee Fuels? Or am I not reading this right?  If not, what a disappointment to wait for the new perfect drill for the plate and now can't get one.

You have to remove the chuck off the drill to use it on the Clam plate prior to the 2015/2016 model 9935 version

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #498 on: Oct 18, 2015, 03:53 PM »

The new Milwaukee drill #2704-22 includes the hammer drill (1200 in lbs torque), (2) 5amp batteries, charger and case for $299. They are showing on line a bonus $79 light included free.
The new drill has a 9/16-18 thread output shaft vs. 1/2-20 on the older model. Also the new drill has a L.H. 8mm Torx Head screw vs. 6mm slotted screw attaching the chuck to the drill shaft. They are using excess thread locking compound on both threads so removal is near impossible. Soaking both with super-glue-remover for 2 days is the only way I could get the chuck off. 
The old Clam adapter could be reworked by a competent machinist to accept the new Milwaukee drill.
I do feel the new clam plate will give some people trouble because the chuck will loosen under heavy drilling and will require constant tightening. Unless the adapter is high quality hardened steel the shaft going into the chuck will become mangled much like the problems some have with the Nils
convertible auger.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #499 on: Oct 18, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Thanks Yankee for the answer…exactly what I was wanting to confirm.  I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Clam probably won't be adding any old style adapters in that 2nd 9/16" size…especially seeing it's only one drill lineup that has the 9/16" size?  I hadn't really considered your idea of machining it to the new size, but suppose that's the only option.  I really wanted to get the new Fuel Gen2.  I agree with you about the new style.  I kind of feel like the old design was still the more solid stable setup to connect the drill to the auger.  The new way was probably a compromise to get more people to use it more easily.…not because it was a more solid idea.

Offline rjbreese

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing fool
« Reply #500 on: Oct 19, 2015, 10:23 PM »
Nice information everyone, I purchased a Strikemaster Lithium Lazer last year and loved it, but as you know they had a recall so I had to send it back, I hated to but now I am looking to go the electric auger route again.....I have enjoyed reading all the posts and thanks to everyone....you all made me make a decision to go with a clam drill plate and a Milwaukee drill so I thought I would return the favor on a super buy that I just purchased today at Bobs Tools in DesMoines, Ia. Milwaukee fuel 18V combo kit #2897-22 this kit comes with the 1/2" hammer drill/driver#2704-20 (1200in.lbs. torque) and the 1/4" hex impact driver #2753-20 comes with (2) 5ah batteries and charger AND they throw in another 4ah battery for free all for $299....til the end of October, hope this gets you all an early Christmas present as it did for me ;D.. now cant wait to get the clam plate and put it into action this season...happy shopping all.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #501 on: Oct 28, 2015, 02:56 PM »
I'm happy to see this thread still alive - I happen to have in my hand a $500 Amazon gift card I won in a raffle.  I had my mind made up on the Makita, but now I'm thinking the new m18 is the way to go.  However, Amazon doesn't sell this $279 bundle:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Drill-Driver-Kit-2703-22/206320080?keyword=2703-22&AID=10368321&PID=1796839&SID=107808355&cm_mmc=CJ-_-1796839-_-10368321&cj=true

I looked on Amazon, but can't seem to match it up.  Can anyone help me pick out the right drill, battery and charger on Amazon?

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #502 on: Oct 29, 2015, 07:10 AM »
Amazon doesn't seem to have the model 2703-22. But they have the 2604-22 for $224. That's the Hammer drill with 725 in/lbs of torque which is plenty, brushless motor and 2 4amp batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2604-22-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-Hammer/dp/B0076O7182/ref=pd_sim_sbs_469_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31PMd2cKhpL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=18DDMSEFH6FNQQ5XXQER

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #503 on: Oct 29, 2015, 09:59 AM »
Amazon doesn't seem to have the model 2703-22. But they have the 2604-22 for $224. That's the Hammer drill with 725 in/lbs of torque which is plenty, brushless motor and 2 4amp batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2604-22-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-Hammer/dp/B0076O7182/ref=pd_sim_sbs_469_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31PMd2cKhpL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=18DDMSEFH6FNQQ5XXQER

yeah, I saw that.

They have the new model with the 1200/in/lbs but only as a bare tool, no kit.  I think I found the 5ah battery and charger for it now.  All together it should be a little less than $300 - to me, thats well worth the price difference from the 725in/lbs to the 1200in/lbs.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #504 on: Oct 29, 2015, 10:56 AM »
I currently only run a Dewalt Drill with around 450 in/lbs of torque....I have never had any problem with my nils 6 inch losing power or overheating or anything like that.  Granted, I do have four 4ah batteries and have yet to run out of juice on the lake after 75+ holes.  I think you guys going with the 750-1200 in/lbs of torque are going to love it!  Might have to look into a bigger drill myself..

Luva
Let's fish it.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #505 on: Oct 29, 2015, 05:17 PM »
I currently only run a Dewalt Drill with around 450 in/lbs of torque....I have never had any problem with my nils 6 inch losing power or overheating or anything like that.  Granted, I do have four 4ah batteries and have yet to run out of juice on the lake after 75+ holes.  I think you guys going with the 750-1200 in/lbs of torque are going to love it!  Might have to look into a bigger drill myself..

Luva
I hope so... I just dropped the coin on a new drill kit last week and I'm having an adapter made to hook up on my older version Clam plate to the new Milwaukee as we speak. Should be darn hard to beat this auger combination I'm hoping to see somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500" of ice per 5ah battery and maybe up to 2500" of ice on the new 9ah due out in January... I guess only time will tell.

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #506 on: Oct 29, 2015, 10:29 PM »
Shack man shoney…
Tell us about the adapter being made to fit the old style plate to the new Gen2 Milwaukee Fuels?  I know the threaded drill shaft has grown from 1/2" to 9/16".  I was going to have my current 1/2" adapter retapped to 9/16", or I'm hoping I can.  Is that what you're doing?

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #507 on: Oct 29, 2015, 10:46 PM »
Nice information everyone, I purchased a Strikemaster Lithium Lazer last year and loved it, but as you know they had a recall so I had to send it back, I hated to but now I am looking to go the electric auger route again.....I have enjoyed reading all the posts and thanks to everyone....you all made me make a decision to go with a clam drill plate and a Milwaukee drill so I thought I would return the favor on a super buy that I just purchased today at Bobs Tools in DesMoines, Ia. Milwaukee fuel 18V combo kit #2897-22 this kit comes with the 1/2" hammer drill/driver#2704-20 (1200in.lbs. torque) and the 1/4" hex impact driver #2753-20 comes with (2) 5ah batteries and charger AND they throw in another 4ah battery for free all for $299....til the end of October, hope this gets you all an early Christmas present as it did for me ;D.. now cant wait to get the clam plate and put it into action this season...happy shopping all.
Thanks for the heads up but I cannot find any power Tools on Bobs Tools online Store.Help!!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #508 on: Oct 30, 2015, 10:24 PM »
Shack man shoney…
Tell us about the adapter being made to fit the old style plate to the new Gen2 Milwaukee Fuels?  I know the threaded drill shaft has grown from 1/2" to 9/16".  I was going to have my current 1/2" adapter retapped to 9/16", or I'm hoping I can.  Is that what you're doing?
Yes that is exactly what I'm attempting..... I have a machinist working on it and I'm hoping to be able to post about it next week. I purchased (4) 1/2-20 adapters from Clam last week and we are trying to make them work with the new 9/16-18 thread spindle on the 1200 in/lb Fuel. I'm hoping It shouldn't be terribly difficult to do with a quality metal lathe and competent machinist. I will post when I have details on the outcome.....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #509 on: Oct 31, 2015, 08:33 AM »
Yes that is exactly what I'm attempting..... I have a machinist working on it and I'm hoping to be able to post about it next week. I purchased (4) 1/2-20 adapters from Clam last week and we are trying to make them work with the new 9/16-18 thread spindle on the 1200 in/lb Fuel. I'm hoping It shouldn't be terribly difficult to do with a quality metal lathe and competent machinist. I will post when I have details on the outcome.....

Hey shack man, if it works I think I'll need to buy one off of you. My buddy has an old clam plate and bought a new 1200 in/lbs drill.........he needs a modified shaft.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.