Author Topic: Sorel...What Happened?  (Read 59101 times)

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sorel...What Happened?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2006, 11:49 AM »
Gotta love the barley shots.   ::)  This year I think i'm going to make sure the beer is warm the night before.   ;D

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #31 on: Jan 28, 2007, 12:40 AM »
Bought a pair of Caribou Sorel's a month ago and today felt something wet. Looked down and the d@#m sole delaminated about three inches long! Ice fishing with wet feet... Oh ya that's fun.  :%$#!: Hope Sports Authority has a good return policy. Heck of a use of a post to go from Rookie to Regular.  :woot:

Offline vanderhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 28, 2007, 01:50 AM »
SORELS...Yup, have some.. 1 size to big.. feet cold...ah.... have another CANADIAN...NOT NO MORE.
"I'd rather fish than eat....and I'm always hungry"

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:28 PM »
Does anyone sell the replacement liners for Sorel Dominators anymore?

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:48 AM »
Does anyone sell the replacement liners for Sorel Dominators anymore?

Just buy the glacier liners and cut them down.

Jeremy

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:52 AM »
got lucky military gave us a new pair each year   plus extra liners   Im set for life!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:09 AM »
I was wandering thru Gander Mt last night. I found a display of Sorel felt pacs. Wow they really looked like junk and they was $70. Must be it dont get cold in China like it does where they used to make them in Canada. I'm glad I got my Icemans.
Sorel got bought out by Columbia in 2000 and is no longer a Canajun Company  :( :(  That is when it seems that their manufacture got
outsourced to China, and the quality went down the toilet.  Jobs lost, quality no longer exists.  To save a few bucks on manufacture that have lost
countless customers.
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:40 AM »
glad I got several pairs of the old ones
90's version
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:13 PM »
I thought I read that Ice Kings were made in china now too. I looked at mine and they say USA still. I bought them in 2002.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:49 PM »
Baffin Boots are probably the best going right now, very expensive though.

Baffin boots are still made in Canada and rated for -40 Cel. or Far. Just checked a pair that I bought last spring and haven't worn yet as my old ones are still good(approx 5yrs.old).
  The secret to having warm feet in these is to take the liners out every night and put them on a  heat register to dry, you should also put the boots themselves upside down over a heat source to make sure there is no moisture trapped inside before you put the liners back in.
BTW- I agree with everyone-the new Sorels are junk now and they used to be great.
Just adding a P.S. to this post...I found out Baffin also makes a boot rated to -70 Deg.(also higher than the -40 Deg. ones).

RandyH

« Reply #40 on: Feb 05, 2007, 03:36 PM »
Just to throw another name into the mix - I have boots (Voyageur Vortex) made by a Quebec company that I purchased more than 10 years ago. The company produces snowmobile clothing primarily. They are lightweight, and are rated to -100 (as are many boots). I can honestly say I have never suffered from cold feet in these - and I normally wear only a white cotton sock. And I have worn them in some pretty extreme weather. The boots retail for approximately $110.00 plus tax CDN. And they are made in Canada.
http://www.vortex-sport.com/English.php

Just another option for some, perhaps. :)

Offline flounderman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • member since Dec 2005
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2007, 07:22 AM »
Bought a pair of Sorel Dominators in college 20 years ago for $100. That was a lot of beer $ to give up. These boots have never failed me. Still wear them today with just a regular pair of socks.

One thing to remember is always take the liner out when your done for the day. Removing moisture is key!

Sorry to hear Sorel went to crap.

Like Lake George. I could use a back up liner in size 11. Anyone know where to get them? 

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2007, 02:41 PM »
Bought a pair of Sorel Dominators in college 20 years ago for $100. That was a lot of beer $ to give up. These boots have never failed me. Still wear them today with just a regular pair of socks.

One thing to remember is always take the liner out when your done for the day. Removing moisture is key!

Sorry to hear Sorel went to crap.

Like Lake George. I could use a back up liner in size 11. Anyone know where to get them? 

Try zappos.com or campmor.com

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2007, 03:19 PM »
I just purchased a pair of Rocky Blizzard Stalkers. I loked them over and sure as shooting, they are also made in China. You'll be hard pressed these days to find anything that isn't made in China.
Well after researching the boots and reading nothing but good reviews, I tried them on and bought them.
These are 1200 gram Thinsulate and rated for -135 F. They're very light for a Pac boot and comfy too.

We'll see how long they last.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 11, 2007, 10:37 PM »
I stopped in Cabelas Saturday and picked up a pair of ice kings as I was walking by to see what they looked like and they said made in china on the bottom...**censored**? The boot looked cheap compared to mine and it makes me sick to see someone that never sees temperatures below 50 making a boot for us to wear at temps below 0...B@$T@rd$

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 11, 2007, 10:53 PM »
Sorry for getting off topic a bit, but I wantedto tell you something really f@#!ed uf. I was going to buy a new American flag a couple of years ago until I read the tag, and sure enough it was made in China. I couldn"t believe it. It's getting harder all the time to find products made in North America. I'm glad my Sorels are holding up after ten years.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2007, 09:14 AM »
Sorry for getting off topic a bit, but I wantedto tell you something really f@#!ed uf. I was going to buy a new American flag a couple of years ago until I read the tag, and sure enough it was made in China. I couldn"t believe it. It's getting harder all the time to find products made in North America. I'm glad my Sorels are holding up after ten years.
Kingfissher, I was in WalMart the other day and there was a display of Sorels...I checked the label...and it was MADE IN VIETNAM.  The pacs
were paper thin...bad stitching...brought tears to my eyes that Sorel sold to Columbia years ago, and that a great Canadian name is still being used.
BTW, it was -37 that day, and I don't think those boots would have kept my feet warm in the store, let alone outside.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 14, 2007, 11:55 AM »
I've got a pair of Sorel's 15+ years old, that I use only for icefishing. I, can just make out Made in the U.S.A. on the bottom! Whys that?   ???

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 14, 2007, 12:03 PM »
I've got a pair of Sorel's 15+ years old, that I use only for icefishing. I, can just make out Made in the U.S.A. on the bottom! Whys that?   ???

Because they used to be USA/Canadian made.  I think Batavia NY had a factory for them at one point....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 14, 2007, 12:34 PM »
Thanks, esox slayer, for the answer to my first question. Next question! Should I keep wearing them, or put them in a glass case?     :whistle:

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:16 PM »
Thanks, esox slayer, for the answer to my first question. Next question! Should I keep wearing them, or put them in a glass case?     :whistle:
List them under "valuable antiques" on eBay...they are worth their weight in gold!

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 14, 2007, 04:04 PM »
When I first bought mine, I wore them all the time in the winter. I used them for hunting, ice fishing, and for any other outdoor activities I did. Now I use mine exclusively for ice fishing. They are at least ten years old and are still in good shape. I will not buy another pair if they are not made here anymore. Let the Chinese wear their own boots, and deal with the poor quality of their products.

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 14, 2007, 06:27 PM »
When it comes time to buy a new pair of boots, what are you guys going to get?

It's pretty tough finding anything made in North America anymore. I know Baffin are made in Canada.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2007, 06:29 PM »
I have heard good things about Baffin. They just might have a new customer. I'm going to see how long my old Sorrels will last me though.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 14, 2007, 06:38 PM »
I bought a pair of Baffins this year because they're Canadian made, none of that chinese junk for me....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:33 PM »
Bafinn! Somebody, please fill me in on some INFO.    ???

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #56 on: Feb 26, 2007, 10:42 PM »
Just do a search on the web for Baffin Boots and you'll get plenty of info.

Offline blackdogwalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:33 PM »
What year did dominators first come out?  I bought my pair, I believe,over twenty-five years ago at the Fontana sporting goods store in Madison WI.  Listen, I know you get many comments like this but I have to tell you that in my forty years of consumerism, I have never bought something that has lasted as long as my dominators.  I am an avid sportsman and winter hiker and you would not believe all that these boots have endured.  Just this year they are at a point where they are taking in water and no longer sealed.  I've logged countless(thousands) of miles, hunted and ice fished thousands of hours: and over the last two years, wore these boots around the UW-Madison campus as I am a fifty year old returning college student. My boots are legendary amongst my four kids and my friends.  I want you to know that all my life I have been low-income.  It was so out of character for me to spend the money(I think $100) to buy your boots.  I remember having to justify my purchase with my girlfriend at the time.  Twenty-five years later I have had many relationships, went through my young adult years, raised four kids and still have my dominators.  Not to sound corny, but I am very sad that my boots are falling apart and headed for boot heaven.  As I type this I have the fondest of memories of me pulling my new-born son in a sled twenty-two years ago and the boots that have stayed on my feet over all these winters.  Hundreds of sledding trips with my kids were facilitated by these boots. I know, I know, they're just boots you're saying but good quality and memories are hard to come by in this day and age.

Offline thornapple

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mid-michigan
« Reply #58 on: Mar 24, 2010, 07:34 PM »
I agree. I have the Sorel Dominators and they are on their last leg also  :'(

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Apr 08, 2010, 02:57 PM »
I can't believe Kamik boots have not been mentioned.  They are made in Quebec.

This is what I wear. They are rated to -100*F

http://kamik.com/GenfootWeb/servlet/webProductDisplay.webProductDisplaySrv?currentMode=DETAIL&curCatalog=2009&curSeason=WINTER2009&curRow=102

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.