Author Topic: Edges Shot  (Read 3547 times)

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
Edges Shot
« on: Mar 01, 2011, 02:02 PM »
Tried to get on Quaddick today, edges shot, through up to my knees, water cold, maybe it will tighten up in a few days, no doubt still good ice out there if I can get past the edges. Check again Thursday if the overnight temps are low enough.

Any other reports of ice after Mondays rain?  Winchester?, Squantz?

Hawk

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Edges Shot
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Wow! That's surprising... I hit one of the coves on the river this morning and had no trouble at all. It was like it was still late January, the edges were hard and dry as a bone  :o I'm headed back out there again tomorrow...

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2011, 03:47 PM »
where did you try to get on, the launch or by the road? what if you have a plank?

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:54 PM »
They had the water so low this year,the lowest ive ever seen it and i used to live on that lake, no doubt the fish suffered this year,anyway with the rain the lake came up 2 feet, so much for edges ,youll have to search to get out but there are some spots, dont walk on the snow on the edges!!
youngest  G.O.D.S. member (grumpy old dudes)

Offline elevatorman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Cynical people make bad friends.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:01 PM »
thanks hawk for the report was thinking of taking friday off to fish there.should i bring my plank ???
A Country boy can Survive.

Offline dtsoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:40 PM »
I tried to get onto Lake Kenosia today and the edges are gone for about 4 feet at theboat ramp. I didn't have a ladder or planks to use to get out onto the ice. Went to a lake in the NW corner, no problem getting on and still around 24" total white and black ice. Tight lines and be careful out there.

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:49 PM »
where did you try to get on, the launch or by the road? what if you have a plank?
I tried to get on Off Brandy Hill, Maybe a 30' plank would have worked but I walked around a bit and could not find a good spot. Disappointing.
Blaine, glad to hear there is still good spots at the coves, I am willing to travel and got quite a few days off in the next two weeks.
I was surprised because I can usually get on there pretty late in the season. Going to be pretty cold on Wed and Thurs night, hopefully that will tighten it up.

Hawk

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2011, 12:19 AM »
I was hoping to get to Quaddick, hopefully the cold can re-freeze the edges.

I had issues getting onto Crystal pond (Eastford/Woodstock) there was a lot of slush on top in some places from the rain the other day. Had to put my spud bar to use to find the frozen stuff.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:03 AM »
Its going to be rather cold the next two nights will be in the low teens that should help.

Offline hertzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If some is good, then more is better!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:13 PM »
Anyone been back to check on Quaddick? Would like to get out this weekend.
Brute force and ignorance with over come fear and common sense!

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:18 PM »
squantz is fine.

Offline hertzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2011, 05:43 AM »
Hey all, I'm going to check out Quaddick this morning. Will post what I find.

Offline hertzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2011, 06:55 AM »
I'm at Quaddick right now, and there are 5 trucks park. I see a bunch of guys out there. Ice still accessible on Brandy Hill Rd. Will be out there tomorrow!

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2011, 08:16 AM »
Fished Pierpont in Ridgefield Wednesday and found plenty of ice but the auger went through real easy. The snow ice was starting to honeycomb already and the black ice was only a couple inches.  All together it was over a foot but starting to feel sketchy and all the northeastern shores were open water. Maybe the cold the last 2 days has helped. Only caught a few small bass in a couple hours.

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2011, 01:31 PM »
Yup, went there yesterday walked right on in the same place I had trouble last week. The cold nights helped a lot. There is some open water right near the edges of the big island and parts of the small island. Couple flags but at the end of the day we got skunked.

Offline hertzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2011, 01:40 PM »
Was there this morn. Got a few. As far as the edges, a local told me they raise and lower the dam all the time. Mite be what happened to you last weekend. With the rain that came, lots of water on there.

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2011, 04:15 PM »
They do lower the lake all the time, A local Company has a power generation plant on the dam, and the let water out to make $$$ all the time. they don't seem to have much consideration for the fishery. I don't think the lake association see's quite eye to eye with the company that runs the dam.

Hope it holds up for another week or so, forecast does not look great for the ice.

Hawk

Offline hertzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2011, 04:54 PM »
The company your referring to is Rawson. They are a well respected company in this area. I wouldn't say they don't seem to have much consideration for the fishery. From what I have heard, they work with the dep well and the residence of the lake.

As far as the ice, I can tell you that there were several guy with 4 wheelers still out there! I may try again tomorrow before the rain comes, but this will be my last weekend out. :( Looking forward to getting the boats out now!!!  ;D

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:16 AM »
Hertzy,
I know who the company is as I live locally, but intentionally did not mention there name. I Based my comment on information recieved from people who I personally know who live on the lake and DEP workers I spoke with who work at the park there. Maybe there are other people who live there who don't agree. There is no good reason to run the lake that low in my opinion and the fishing compared to last year has taken a nose dive as a result. Just my opinion. Whatever. Sorry if you took offense.

I saw the four wheelers too,they did not seem to have any problems getting on, plenty of ice. hope to get a few more trips in, not quite ready for the soft water yet but I may have to do some traveling with the rain and warm temps to get my ice time in though. Good luck on your last weekend out.

HAWK

Offline hertzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:22 AM »
It's all good Hawk! No reason to apologize. Any debate with cool heads is a good debate! ;D Woke up with a head ache today, so didn't go out. May try next weekend, ice pending!

Offline Hammertime-IceCube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Danbury Fish & Game Association
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2011, 09:46 AM »
tried pierrepont on Friday for the first time in a few years, off the state launch in 3-6 fow.  edges and 10"+ ice were all fine but who know after todays rain.   got the skunko in 3 hours not a flag nor nibble.   I should have walked over to the dam area where much prior success was had.   but being solo and hearing of thin areas I passed

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2011, 10:33 AM »
I drove by when you were picking up the last tipup. In a hurry or would have stopped. It is usually slow in that area but I have caught some bigger fish there. We usually fish over on the other side of the island. Jigging is better by the dam. Where you were fishing is the last place to go ice out and always gives a last shot at the ice season. Good Luck!

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2011, 04:21 PM »
Some out on squantz today,i plan on still fishing and i dont plan on going in again this year so please keep updates going.thanks

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:19 AM »
It's official, the coves on the CT River are done... Looks like I'll be launching the boat soon.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:34 AM »
blaine do you think we will be able to get on the ice this weekend anywhere? i would like to take my sons out for the last time this year on ice. the eastern part of the state got less rain anybody know how the ice held up out there

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:52 AM »
Good question jss, I also would like to get out this weekend, even if I have to travel to the NW Hills, any info would be appreciated.
Hawk

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:11 AM »
Not sure guys... Too soon to assess the damage. I'll be sure to pass along any info I get here at the shop.

Offline hertzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:27 AM »
I'm done for the year. Already started tying flies for opening day! Going to dig out the boat, and get that into the shed to get her ready for the Thames. First launch only a few weeks away!!!!! :)

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2011, 11:02 AM »
hawk what about the northeast corner i dont think it got as much rain as the west and center of the state, it may be safer to stay in the east

Offline hertzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2011, 12:13 PM »
Was just told the the water is right up to the road over the tunnels at Mansfield Hollow! Don't bother going there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.