Author Topic: Camping on the ice.  (Read 72849 times)

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Camping on the ice.
« Reply #270 on: Jan 31, 2020, 07:15 PM »
Peet makes a propane boot dryer.

Well what do you know, so they do!! Amazon, $99. I very well may have to try it. I have two 3 day trips planned this season.

Thanks!! I was focused on battery power.

That thing has to kick the electric option's butt.  It looks big, but hey if you need it.  Please tell us what you get and how it works!

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #271 on: Jan 31, 2020, 10:18 PM »
Propane heat is inherently a "wet" heat, I wonder how they circumvent that.

Online Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #272 on: Feb 01, 2020, 01:56 AM »
My buddy has the propane boot dryer, we use it at moose camp.  It takes about a full 8 hours to dry your boots out but other than that it works pretty good. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #273 on: Feb 01, 2020, 11:11 PM »
 Thanks for all the tips, spent our first night out last weekend and it was awesome. It was warm, just below 0c though quite windy. Worked well in my 6 sided shelter (it’s a insulated HT 10.5’ diameter). Used 6 40” square by 3/4” takwando mats for the floor which worked great.  Ice to be able to take the muck boots off at night and not be sliding around on the ice.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #274 on: Feb 04, 2020, 04:56 PM »
What do you guys do for meals on the ice that can be cooked on your heater or small stove? I thought I'd pick up some dehydrated camping meals, but gawked at the $8-9 price tag for most.

I imagine a can of soup would heat up well, and theres always good ol' hot dogs. Any other ideas?

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #275 on: Feb 04, 2020, 05:06 PM »
Sausage and eggs in a frying pan. Breakfast burritos in foil. Cheddarwurst in foil. Cup o noodles. Cold cereal and milk. Doughnuts. Dominos pizza is good for the first few days. Canned soup is easy to warm up as well.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #276 on: Feb 04, 2020, 06:56 PM »
What do you guys do for meals on the ice that can be cooked on your heater or small stove? I thought I'd pick up some dehydrated camping meals, but gawked at the $8-9 price tag for most.

I imagine a can of soup would heat up well, and theres always good ol' hot dogs. Any other ideas?

Besides the lunch and dinner items I listed in a previous post, I also like corned beef hash heated in a skillet.  Good, greasy, gassy, stoke-the-furnace food.

Thanks for all the tips, spent our first night out last weekend and it was awesome. It was warm, just below 0c though quite windy. Worked well in my 6 sided shelter (it’s a insulated HT 10.5’ diameter). Used 6 40” square by 3/4” takwando mats for the floor which worked great.  Ice to be able to take the muck boots off at night and not be sliding around on the ice.

Thanks for the report and pics.  Glad you had a good trip!  Any new tips or lessons learned?  Stuff you will do different next time?

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #277 on: Feb 05, 2020, 08:57 AM »
Most of the time I do deli meat sandwiches but once in awhile I’ll make breakfast burritos ahead of time, wrap them in foil and refrigerate. Throw it on top of the buddy heater to reheat and boom! Breakfast burritos on the ice! Also like using the buddy heater to make hot ham and cheese sandwiches.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #278 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Breakfast burritos are a good idea. Those can sit and warm up on the heater without much tending to while I stare down the sturgeon hole.

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #279 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:53 AM »
I take my Coleman burner & grill combo when I will be out for the day. Can fry eggs for breakfast and grill venison for lunch. It would certainly make the trip if/when I camp overnight

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #280 on: Feb 05, 2020, 12:09 PM »
So I have been really wanting to give a camping report but we have had miserable ice here in NH this year. I can't get this beast out on the ice unless I can tow with my snowmobile, and it's been more of an "on foot" type of season. Even this upcoming weekend, supposed to be a big fishing derby and supposed to fish all weekend, well those plans are out the window since the lakes are all questionable.

As for the boot dryer, I'm not super keen on the thing taking all night. I may just have to continue what I do, take the liners out and put them in the gear net/attic for the night.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #281 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:59 PM »

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #282 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:58 AM »
https://youtu.be/BbHs_oPq5LA

Great video. Only part I did not like was the Yankees cap on the dashboard.

Offline Sawmill man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #283 on: Feb 14, 2020, 07:16 AM »
The only thing I would add is make sure you have your shanty or shelter marked with reflective tape . Ya don’t want some one running into u in the middle of the night

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #284 on: Feb 14, 2020, 07:24 AM »
The only thing I would add is make sure you have your shanty or shelter marked with reflective tape . Ya don’t want some one running into u in the middle of the night

I made a bunch of 8"x8" card stock sheets with 3M Solas reflector tape all over them, then coated them with clear packing tape. They are the exact size of the windows in my Clam, I just close the window with the card stock sheet behind the window plastic. Works pretty well, I'll get some pictures soon. Really boggles the mind why these portables don't have crazy reflective stuff all over them, my X200 has a few little spots of reflectors that's it.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #285 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:09 PM »
Yo, Joe.  Nice demo of your camping setup!  My favorite was brushing your teeth with root beer!  :P :woot: :clap:

Four wheeler on four inches.  Scary stuff, don't find a weak spot!

I've been fairly impressed with the reflective area on the FF9416i.  Eskimo/Ardisam seems to be getting it.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #286 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:16 PM »

Great video Joe, I'll be waiting patiently for part 2. After cascade I should be joining the rest of you for overnighters on the gorge  :thumbsup: :woot: :woot:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #287 on: Dec 07, 2020, 08:49 PM »
Nice camping prep video from musky here:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=379148.msg4107040#msg4107040

I hope we can get some good overnighter reports this year!  Anyone planning on it?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #288 on: Dec 08, 2020, 07:19 AM »
Thanks for posting that up here Steve, cant wait to get out of town Thursday or Friday. Henry's has been calling my name for awhile now and the ice camper is ready to go.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #289 on: Dec 08, 2020, 08:00 AM »
I'm hoping to!  I'll be re-reviewing this thread when it comes time.  Sadly, with our weather, it probably won't be until late January/February until I get the chance.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #290 on: Dec 08, 2020, 08:03 PM »

I hope we can get some good overnighter reports this year!  Anyone planning on it?

I will be rolling out in the morning from Wy. Planning on staying until Sunday or Monday.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #291 on: Dec 08, 2020, 08:13 PM »
I'll be planning on doing a couple overnight trips this year. Did 2 last year and it was a hoot. Hoping to have some company this year, I think that would make it more fun.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #292 on: Dec 09, 2020, 12:44 PM »

I will be rolling out in the morning from Wy. Planning on staying until Sunday or Monday.

Yup I'll be going this year.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #293 on: Dec 09, 2020, 02:26 PM »
Nice camping prep video from musky here:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=379148.msg4107040#msg4107040

Without a doubt!

Online Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #294 on: Dec 09, 2020, 03:11 PM »
It’s so cool to finally see guys regularly camping on ice their popups.  I remember when popups first came out and the second time I ever took my Q6 out I camped in it for 4 nights.  My longest trip was a little over 2 weeks and the only time I came off the ice was to get more propane.  An average trip for me lasted usually around 10-14 days and I would normally do that 4-5 times a season.  Now that I work year round it’s tough to take off enough time to get my fix and I’m finding that a week long trip is just a tease.  Im currently planning a trip to the Northwest Territories for 2022 and I want to stay on the ice for at least a month which will hopefully be long enough but I doubt it.  If any of you guys have any questions on extended stays on ice please feel free to ask, I’m more than happy to share my knowledge so that others can have the experiences I’ve had.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #295 on: Dec 10, 2020, 10:30 AM »
My god, a month on the ice in the Northwest Territories. Why can't my life be as good.

Online Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #296 on: Dec 10, 2020, 09:18 PM »
I’m using the whole “mid life crisis” excuse to justify the expense but in reality I’ve been planning this trip for a long time.  My wife just never heard about it till now and she’s actually totally supportive.  Hopefully this will be one of many trips.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #297 on: Dec 15, 2020, 08:24 AM »
Added a shorter on ice part 2 to my ice camping in the X200. Enjoy.

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #298 on: Dec 15, 2020, 09:47 AM »
I’m using the whole “mid life crisis” excuse to justify the expense but in reality I’ve been planning this trip for a long time.  My wife just never heard about it till now and she’s actually totally supportive.  Hopefully this will be one of many trips.

You are a very smart man. Glad your wifes on board, only makes the trip that much more relaxing for you. When you're out that long, are you targeting a mixed bag of species, going PB hunting, little bit of both depending on how you feel that morning? either way I cant wait to hear the report back from that epic trip

Online Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #299 on: Dec 16, 2020, 09:28 AM »
I primarily target lake trout and burbot with more emphasis on trophy burbot, I’m still trying break the 20 pound mark.  This trip will be no different except I will have access to pike and hopefully sheefish.  I haven’t caught a laker over 30 pounds so obviously I’m going to have to try and do that.  Anyone know where I can get a 12” auger?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.