Author Topic: Cooking on the ice/ game changer  (Read 6003 times)

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
Cooking on the ice/ game changer
« on: Mar 16, 2019, 07:22 PM »
I’ve read and seen several posts about everyway of cooking when out fishing on the ice .... heating meals up with a buddy heater, to hauling out the grill or the ol trusty Coleman stove...most of the time I’m fishing solo so it never made sense to bring a larger stove..so I alway had a sandwich an wished on cold day for something to warm up with ..I came upon this little stove by Camp Chef The Stryker 200 which can run on either a 1lb propane cylinder or isobutane..it’s just a matter of installing the converter to use propane and removing it to use the isobutane
It can hold a touch over a liter and will boil water in less than 3 minutes. It’ also came with a pot adapter so if I want to cook in a small pan or pot...today’s lunch was a beef pot roast with country veggies...

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Cooking on the ice/ game changer
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2019, 07:23 PM »
Sweet!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2019, 10:36 PM »
I’m food lazy when fishing. I’ll usually go for a solid breakfast before leaving then rely on granola bars and munchies to keep me vertical through the day.

My buddy however (love this guy) brings out half a kitchen and whips up things I wouldn’t even try at home. Last menu was meatball and bok choy soup with fresh ramen. All the ingredients pre chopped and in their own little Tupperware containers. My first time getting food coma off of soup.

I fish more actively when I dine my way but have a way better day when I do it his way. Only drawback is serious fishing is usually over after lunch... can’t fish when you can’t move.  :-\

Love the one man set up you got going on. Looks like a good middle ground between my way and his.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:08 AM »
Bill it looks like a North Korean missile.  ???

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:56 AM »
Bill it looks like a North Korean missile.  ???

Dude don’t blow my cover  :roflmao

Offline MikeF-NH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Looks like a jetboil knock off. Jetboil is made right in Manchester and I toured the factory a few years back with a Scout group and was able to get one at significant discount. Jetboil is isobutane only though (which is easier to carry than propane). I've had no issues with cold but I usually put the canister inside my jacket about 1/2 hour before use just in case.

That said, this type of stove basically has two settings: boil and off. As such they tend to burn non-water items and are tough to clean if you get stuff cooked onto it. My adjustment is to make broths or "just add water" meals like freeze dried backpacking meals available at Walmart and EMS etc. The alternative is to pre-make meals in zip lock bags, boil water in the stove then add the ziplocked meal to heat it through the bag (great to reheat chili). Jetboil also makes a french press attachment for coffee that works very well.

Having said all this, I only bring the JetBoil when I'm alone. When I'm with my crew...I tend to bring a portable propane grill and cook up venision and duck complemented with hotdogs (the veggie stays home)

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:25 AM »
We always have something cooking, either inside or out. From bacon and eggs to grilling sausage, burgers, steak tips, and haddock!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:31 AM »
We always have something cooking, either inside or out. From bacon and eggs to grilling sausage, burgers, steak tips, and haddock!

Steak tips, haddock I guess I timed my visits wrong.  ;D  Agree there is always something cooking at The Dark Side.  ::)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:32 AM »

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:35 AM »
Looks like a jetboil knock off. Jetboil is made right in Manchester and I toured the factory a few years back with a Scout group and was able to get one at significant discount. Jetboil is isobutane only though (which is easier to carry than propane). I've had no issues with cold but I usually put the canister inside my jacket about 1/2 hour before use just in case.

That said, this type of stove basically has two settings: boil and off. As such they tend to burn non-water items and are tough to clean if you get stuff cooked onto it. My adjustment is to make broths or "just add water" meals like freeze dried backpacking meals available at Walmart and EMS etc. The alternative is to pre-make meals in zip lock bags, boil water in the stove then add the ziplocked meal to heat it through the bag (great to reheat chili). Jetboil also makes a french press attachment for coffee that works very well.

Having said all this, I only bring the JetBoil when I'm alone. When I'm with my crew...I tend to bring a portable propane grill and cook up venision and duck complemented with hotdogs (the veggie stays home)

I did notice that I had to adjust the gas valve as to not burn the food ( learning curve )   A total knock off from jetboil but I like that fact that I can switch from either propane or iso...I’ll use iso when I’m hiking for sure, And use the propane for ice fishing because I have the 1lbers for the buddy heater
I have used the freeze dried in the past but that was years ago and wasn’t so good...not sure if they’ve improved  ???

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2019, 10:40 AM »
Steak tips, haddock I guess I timed my visits wrong.  ;D  Agree there is always something cooking at The Dark Side.  ::)

Yes you did, you left too early. Although Salm603 did cook up a fine pasta dish!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Yes you did, you left too early. Although Salm603 did cook up a fine pasta dish!

and as usual provided the entertainment.  :cookoo:

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2019, 02:09 PM »
I’m food lazy when fishing. I’ll usually go for a solid breakfast before leaving then rely on granola bars and munchies to keep me vertical through the day.

My buddy however (love this guy) brings out half a kitchen and whips up things I wouldn’t even try at home. Last menu was meatball and bok choy soup with fresh ramen. All the ingredients pre chopped and in their own little Tupperware containers. My first time getting food coma off of soup.

I fish more actively when I dine my way but have a way better day when I do it his way. Only drawback is serious fishing is usually over after lunch... can’t fish when you can’t move.  :-\

Love the one man set up you got going on. Looks like a good middle ground between my way and his.

I’m the same way. I ain’t got time for that lol

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:41 PM »
I’m the same way. I ain’t got time for that lol
Then you’re missing out!😉😎

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Got to love a good breakfast on the ice.

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Then you’re missing out!😉😎

Won’t argue that. I gotta find a cook to add to my arsenal like skunk did  @)

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:52 PM »
Won’t argue that. I gotta find a cook to add to my arsenal like skunk did  @)

There’s always next year!! 😎

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:43 AM »
There’s always next year!! 😎

There is still at least 2 weeks in some areas.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:30 AM »
I upped my game recently too. I've always used a Coleman stove which has horrible adjustability (basically none). Got myself a real nice compact stove for camp use: https://gasone.com/collections/portable-stoves/products/gs-4000p-portable-dual-fuel-stove
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:30 PM »
Uncrustables and a thermos of soup is all I need. Those uncrustables are perfect for fishing

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:41 PM »
I upped my game recently too. I've always used a Coleman stove which has horrible adjustability (basically none). Got myself a real nice compact stove for camp use: https://gasone.com/collections/portable-stoves/products/gs-4000p-portable-dual-fuel-stove

Nice set up

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:39 PM »
Cool setup, I like the dual fuel. I have an msr pocket rocket for backpacking, would be a lot more convenient if I could run it on propane too.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2019, 01:14 PM »
Yeah, I run it off the same 11 lb propane tank I use for heat. Although I think I'm gonna try the cartridges too for the summer. Gonna be great for coffee on those early mornings trolling.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline bassboat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:36 AM »
I keep a Svea stove in the sled at all times, usually just for tea if I'm fishing alone. The LP Coleman grill or stove comes out if there's a gang on the ice.

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 20, 2019, 08:57 AM »
This is how we rolled a couple weeks ago ! 

[url=https://postimg.cc/Mfw1dM3x]]

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 20, 2019, 09:31 AM »
The first picture is one of the best ice fishing (eating) pics I have seen. Good times right there.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:09 AM »
impressive dont think ive ever seen someone making a pizza from scratch on the ice. good times
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:09 AM »
The first picture is one of the best ice fishing (eating) pics I have seen. Good times right there.
Yeah definitely.
Reminds me of the good old days we used to fish Moosehead. Guys would tow 4x 8 trailer mounted grills 3 miles up the lake. Boy the feasts we used to have. That grill would be mounded with food from sunup to sundown.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:26 AM »
The pizza is over the top!  P. Dona are you looking for friends by any chance?  LOL ;D

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 20, 2019, 01:01 PM »
This is how we rolled a couple weeks ago ! 

[url=https://postimg.cc/Mfw1dM3x]]

Ok well I think it's pretty clear, we have a winner!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.