New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413087 times)

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #2460 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Wife and I are gunna try longpoint Monday. I was gunna go alone and try for walleye but my wife is more about action even if small. I was gunna try the north side of the point do you guys still get decent perch action there? I might just go to the Vikings for easy access and walk out. Thanks 👍🏼

Offline outfisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2461 on: Feb 03, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Sitting on chatauqua. No luck. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to never see a 6 inch perch. I can't figure out why I come here. I'm sorry to be bitter but this lake sucks. I know that people are catching walleye. I use the same techniques. Have all the bells and whistles. Just no horseshoe. Lol.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2462 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:20 PM »
Stick, glad you can still talk about it. I know from experience it is terrifying to go through even waist deep.   Not to mention cold.  lets all be careful

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #2463 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:55 PM »
Not the greatest fisherman by no means but if you need a little mojo to get ya back in the game just ask. ———- Game Hog

Offline outfisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2464 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:17 PM »
Not the greatest fisherman by no means but if you need a little mojo to get ya back in the game just ask. ———- Game Hog
If you were referring to me thanks. I was just blowing off steam. Don't think I ever got a keeper eye. When I do each fillet will be worth about 5 grand. Haha

Offline outfisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2465 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:29 PM »
If you were referring to me thanks. I was just blowing off steam. Don't think I ever got a keeper eye. When I do each fillet will be worth about 5 grand. Haha
A keeper eye on chatauqua I should have said.

Offline bobo1729

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2466 on: Feb 04, 2018, 07:53 AM »
has anyone ever caught one of these out of the lake. I looked it up and it seems to be a silver perch. Caught it outside the bell tower yesterday.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #2467 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:09 AM »
has anyone ever caught one of these out of the lake. I looked it up and it seems to be a silver perch. Caught it outside the bell tower yesterday.

That is a White Bass or Silver Bass. There are many of them in chautauqua lake, as well as White Perch, which many confuse one from the other. If you google differences with illustrations they are easy to decipher from one another. White Bass have visible stripes , much more pronounced markings ,pointed fins and is the fresh water cousin of the Striper. While the white Perch’s most noticeable difference is it has one lateral line which carry’s over into its outer markings and a purple throat.
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline bobo1729

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2468 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #2469 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Here you go...

Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2470 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:32 PM »
Caught some big silver bass off the bell tower in October. Some were a couple pounds at least. Chat has alot of them. Silver bass are true bass. Unlike largemouth and smallmouth which are sunfish.

Offline H20chrome

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2471 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:26 AM »
Same here, got over a school of them the one day it got boring catching them. Does anyone remember the huge die off of silver bass / white perch about 4-5 years ago? Bemus bay had literally thousands floating near the shoreline in the spring. Seemed like yellow perch size really improved for a couple years following that, now the silvers/white perch are back in numbers again....

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #2472 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Yep I recall that die-off.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline H20chrome

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2473 on: Feb 05, 2018, 01:38 PM »
Any idea what caused it?

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2474 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:04 PM »
I know this is a Chautauqua thread but I know a lot of guys are upset with the perch in Chautauqua this year. I did very well today at Sodus bay outside Rochester. Kept 23 fish all 8-11 from 9-1 in 27 fow. Think I’m done with Chautauqua for a bit. Rochester is closer for me anyway. Good luck guys

Offline bernieb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2475 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:35 AM »
I fished Mayville on Monday and Long Point on Tuesday and all we caught were dink perch. Do the bigger perch move in later or is that all that is in the lake?

Tried to fish the clock tower, but it was blocked off and not plowed. Are we not aloud to fish the clock tower anymore?

Offline sawdust

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2476 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:51 AM »
You can't drive and park next to the tower like before.  They installed pavers where the driveway was.  It is now just a sidewalk.  Parking along the actual road is still allowed.  Be courteous.

Offline bernieb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2477 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply...that is good information. Do you think in a couple weeks the tower is worth fishing?

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2478 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:31 PM »
Seems everyone is having a tough time finding anything 7" or bigger.

Offline snowmandan76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2479 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Do they still have the shore taped of at maple springs like years past it's been a few years since I've fished there and last i knew the property owners were having problems with the mess being left behind and put up posted signs to prevent people from parking there and walking onto the lake

Offline EyEsNiPeR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2480 on: Feb 08, 2018, 11:28 AM »
In my honest opinion I wouldn’t park over by maple springs. Midway is right there and is a state park with tons of parking that is always plowed out. You can park 10 feet from the shore and not lose a ton of distance from walking out at maple. Just my two cents 🤷🏼‍♂️

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #2481 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Yeah those weedsbeds are not that far away from midway into the springs, not caught much there through the ice, just open.

" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2482 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:50 PM »
I stopped at Midway Monday and the snow at shore was a foot deep. Not sure how far out it went. My hut drags hard in the snow so I went to Dewittville. You can drive right up to the ice drop your stuff off, and park in the bigger lot. It was all plowed out.

Offline Walleyewonder7777777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2483 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:31 PM »
How's the snow out on the main lake? Want to take my wheeler tomorrow

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #2484 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:07 PM »
Wheelers were out this am. Snow averages 7”. Slush spots are forming.

Offline Walleyewonder7777777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2485 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:41 PM »
Thanks

Offline wilson0983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2486 on: Feb 10, 2018, 01:58 AM »
Anyone been fishing Mayville the past couple days?  Looking to take my son out but was wondering how the ice was before driving all the way down this afternoon.

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2487 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Where the heck are all the walleyes?! Not where I was at Long Point today that’s for sure. Plenty if dinks, silver bass and rockbass though.

Offline ChickenHammer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Heeeeere Mr. Mega Slob Green Stripes"
« Reply #2488 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Hey all, been away a few years from the site. I’ll be getting out first time in six years hard water this Tuesday. Dad and I will be looking to lose a bunch of bait on perch  ;D during the day and finish up hopefully with an eye or two. Used to go out of LP Back in 2010 when the perch were big and pengergast for the eyes. Not looking for any secret spots, but any PMs with general tips on the where and who’s got bait down there now are greatly appreciated

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2489 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Anyone have any info on bear lake? Never fished or been there and buddy of mine wants to try he's never been there either. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.