Author Topic: FL-8 fishfinder  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: FL-8 fishfinder
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:57 AM »
In my younger years, we caught tons of fish without electronics. It was drill a hole, fish the entire water column...move and repeat.

With that said, if I was 2 hours into a drive on a fishing trip and realized I left my unit at home, well, my wife would question me over the $400 + charge on my debit card!

:thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:09 AM »
I've had one go down on the ice, off to the closet shop I went.  Always talked about a backup but still don't have one.  Can't stand maintaining things that sit idle!  Put plates, tires, and batteries on too much crap now.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Hey Roe,
We need to hook up. I use 5' rods and work the water column constantly. Sat next to a guy at Slough and he had everything, all the gear!! He couldn't buy a bite. I was catching gills pretty steady. He wanted to know where my locator was? I was using a blood worm jig I tied and a red wedgee! Couldn"t believe I didn't have live bait? He finally moved! ;D
I just keep moving 'til I find them. Not always but I catch a few! Whatever blows your skirt!!
Teach

Would love to fish with you teach!  I'm sure I would learn plenty.  One of my buddies I fish with is around 80.  He's old school but also has moved to a vex and drill auger.  Most times he out fishes me, mainly with patience.   I'll be hole hoping like a monkey and he will be staring the spring off the end of his pole just pounding away.

He went to Florida this year,  miss fishing with him almost as much as he misses the ice!

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07:23 PM »
Anyone that fishes shallow wAter with a fl8 should have the s cable.imo.instead of a cluttered blobby screen with gain at zero,you will have a decent fading green line mark for the jig with gain turned a quarter to half a turn.
I'm looking into this thanks for that info

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:42 PM »
I never looked at a flasher running the s cord.  but I have only had a flasher the last 2 or 3 yrs myself.  ill have to search some videos showing the difference. some make it sound like a must have.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:25 PM »
The newer ones have it built into the unit. I think just the fl-8 is the only one that the cable is needed. I called and they said the 18 had it built in. I sold my cable when I got rid of my 8 but thinking I may need 1 for my 18 got me wondering if I should keep the cable for my 18. Vexilar told me it was built in. Just something else I don't need.

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:42 AM »
Teach,
Check you PM,

wsj
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:19 AM »
In my younger years, we caught tons of fish without electronics. It was drill a hole, fish the entire water column...move and repeat.

With that said, if I was 2 hours into a drive on a fishing trip and realized I left my unit at home, well, my wife would question me over the $400 + charge on my debit card!

Haha... like 2 weeks ago when I was an hr and a half from home and forgot my bibs... shot into a store and spent 60 on a pair of off brand ski bibs....would fish without my vex no sooner that no boots.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:59 PM »
I just dont fish shallow.water......h

You can't tell a fish where to go

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.