Author Topic: Bait caster reels  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Bait caster reels
« on: Apr 04, 2015, 10:41 AM »
I want to get a bait caster reel for next season because they seem like they'd work really well.  I tried the fly reel style of inline reels and it works well if you're in shallow water but if you're fishing deep water it takes too long to get back down to the fish in my opinion.  The problem I have is I never used a bait caster reel, don't know anything about them, what brands are good, or things to watch out for.  What are your experiences with them?  I don't want to spend a lot of money since the only time I'm going to use it is during the ice season and am looking for advice on what ones to consider that are less than say $50. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Bait caster reels
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2015, 09:26 AM »
When I started, it was some basic cheap Bait caster reels of about $25 (Shimano Coriolis 100E).  The ones that are mostly made of plastics.  Well it got the job done to a point, but I didn't use them that much.  The ones sold today are easily much better build and precision that what I got years ago.  Any way, this cheap bait caster had problems where 4# line would sometimes find it's way around the spool wall and then onto the spool shaft.  So I had to basically take the spool out and re-align my the line.  Another thing was that the drag can be catchy, but since I'm using relatively light lines, it was much smoother in terms vs. my spinning reels.  I'm able to adjust drag easily if needed.  A very nice advantage.  Also one still needs to train their thumb on stopping the spool to prevent line overruns on the spool.  Which takes a little bit of learning or just paying attention really.  Same thing happens on those cheap spinning reels anyway.  The ones that do not have an instant anti-reverse stop. 

Personally I didn't learn to like it, until I spent $200 on a bait caster (Shimano Chronarch 50MG still years ago).  For one thing it's a higher precision tool, and it really made a difference when finessing is required.  As for getting down into deep water say more then 35' it's all about weight.  If you're using 1/8th oz or heavier - there isn't much of a difference.  Still the fly reel would be the slowest.  The bait caster would be next and obviously spinning reels has the speed advantage.  If you get into such light lures of like 1/80th oz. or lighter where you need to hand-strip the line off the reel anyway - the reverse might come into play where the fly reel would be the fastest, next bait caster and finally spinning reel.  Why so?  The straighter line drop, will break through the water surface faster and have less drag through the water column.  Standard mono line floats when dry and is somewhat buoyant until it get's a good soaking.  Dry braid may collect tiny air bubbles, but usually not enough to make it noticeable.

It can also be difficult to find the right rod to match the bait caster.  I started out with my Ugly Sticks, and they got the job done.  Currently I have custom rods for them to fully utilize the set up.

Overall the bait caster will still be slower on the lure drop compared to an open face spinning reel. Even reeling up a fish is slower, just by the line retrieval per single handle crank.  However the advantages:
- A smoother drag
- and adjustment at finger tip makes a world of difference when you suddenly hook up with an unexpected big fish.
- A straight line tug of war with fish keeps a steady rod and more consistent line pressure leverage
- quick depth adjustments by simply depressing the clutch release thumb bar
- finesse adjustment to lower depth of lure by thumbing the spool
- finesse adjustment to raising the lure by thumbing the spool
- reduced line twists - from a straighter line from spool to lure
- if you're a line watcher - it's easier to detect an up bite when the line slacks up because the line is above rod blank as oppose to being below on a spinning reel set up.  Just like your old pegged fishing rods.

I for one do not miss that pulsating feel of spinning reel set up at all when reeling up.  I feel like I'm cheating when I'm fish fighting on a bait caster.  It makes it almost too easy for pan fishing.  It's about fair challenge against catfish and pikes, but I'm under the impression that I'm icing them so much faster in half the time.

When I pull up a fish out of the ice hole and need to give some slack line to pull hook off of fish.  Just a quick release of the thumb bar.

Profile wise, bait caster takes up less room in a bucket and less line tangle among set ups. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I forgot to mention that I will be using the reel for primarily pan fish and occasionally I have bass, pickerel, and trout hit. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2015, 12:31 AM »
The average panfish I catch are less than 7" bluegills and less then 10" crappies.  A bait casting reel set up makes them too easy to reel up.

However I sure do appreciate it, when I tangle that 8"+ bluegill or that 15"+ crappie - as my bait casting reel has very good control of line drag and overall better position.  After all I'm holding my bait casting combo centered in front of me.  As opposed to my open face spinning reel is often to my side and raised to shoulder level.  It's about hand position.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2015, 03:21 AM »
I'm going to be using 4 pound line on which ever one I get, the lightest jig I'll be using is 1/32 of an ounce, and the heaviest would be around 1/8 of an ounce.  What reel would you recommend for this set up?  I can't justify spending a lot of money on it but also don't want to waste my money either.  My maximum budget would be around $60 but would rather not pay that much.  You also mentioned that it can be tough to get the right rod to use with these reels, why is that?  When you push the button to let the line out will jigs within this weight range pull out the 4 pound line easily or will I have to pull it out?  Do you get backlash (I'm not sure what that is but heard these reels have this happen) or birds' nests often when using them for ice fishing?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2015, 11:46 PM »
If you're not familiar with using a bait casting reel, you will experience some backlash or just line overrun and loose loops until you get the hang of it.  It would be sort of the same with a fly reel or even a schooley reel.  Just have to get use to it.

On a vertical drop, and 1/8th oz weight is heavy enough to simply just pull line from the spool.  If it's really cold outside, it might not do it easily, cuz cold temps tend to gel up the grease and oil inside the reel.

Spinning rods may not have the right line guide spacing for using a bait casting reel.  After all you're just merely flipping the rod on the other side.  It's not ideal to have your fishing line touch your rod blank when it's flexed.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2015, 05:51 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.  As for the rod guide spacing how close should they be?  "Standard" jigging rods won't work?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2015, 10:11 AM »
Oh just about any rod will get the job done.  It preferable to not have the line rub against the rod blank when it's flexed under load.  You just have to check the rod and rund a line to see if it's rubbing.  Typically a lot of rods have like 3-4 line guides, but I thinking 5-7 line guides would be better suited for a bait casting set up. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2015, 12:48 AM »
I'll have to check my rods but I think they all have at least five guides.  What bait caster reels do you use?  I was thinking of one of the cheaper ABU Garcias, I saw one at Walmart that was black and red and was around $50.  I'll  check the next time I'm up there and see what model it is.

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2015, 07:40 AM »
The low profile reels I'm running are ones I picked up from the bargain bin at Wally World; One's a Shakespeare Agility and the other is a Daiwa Laguna. One has 15 lb power pro  braided, and the other 15 lb fireline.  I'm usually in a pop-up shanty, and don't see alot of problems the reels icing up.

For a rods, I was using Ugly stick GX2 spinning rods, and this year added an HT Laker Pro Series Medium Heavy (LKP-32MH).  Not sure how many eyes are on them, but never seen a problem. With the line rubbing. 

Forgot to mention - I'm jigging a 1 to 1.5 oz jig in 100 -180 FOW targeting lakers.  So maybe a bit different conservation.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2015, 01:48 PM »
I'll have to check my rods but I think they all have at least five guides.  What bait caster reels do you use?  I was thinking of one of the cheaper ABU Garcias, I saw one at Walmart that was black and red and was around $50.  I'll  check the next time I'm up there and see what model it is.

Well my bait casting reels are $200, but I swap them over to open water rods during summer. 

The Abu Garcia Black Max is about $50.  Around that price a Pinnacle bait casting reel will be a little better in my opinion.  Not sure exactly which model, because I only played with them in the store.

The low profile reels I'm running are ones I picked up from the bargain bin at Wally World; One's a Shakespeare Agility and the other is a Daiwa Laguna. One has 15 lb power pro  braided, and the other 15 lb fireline.  I'm usually in a pop-up shanty, and don't see alot of problems the reels icing up.

For a rods, I was using Ugly stick GX2 spinning rods, and this year added an HT Laker Pro Series Medium Heavy (LKP-32MH).  Not sure how many eyes are on them, but never seen a problem. With the line rubbing. 

Forgot to mention - I'm jigging a 1 to 1.5 oz jig in 100 -180 FOW targeting lakers.  So maybe a bit different conservation.

oh wow.  I have a 14# Fireline set up on my Shimano Coriolis reel on an Ugly Stick too...it's for ice catfishing.   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.