Author Topic: Anyone ever use Marmish jig rods  (Read 3830 times)

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone ever use Marmish jig rods
« on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:28 PM »
I'm doing more jigging this year and am not real happy with my current jig rods and just took a look at one of our sponsors "Marmish" and thought they look pretty easy to use. Anyone else on here have any experience good or bad using these?  They are kinda pricey and I wanna make sure there a good item before making the investment. Thanks
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone ever use Marmish jig rods
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2011, 12:10 AM »
The strike indicators on them are great on the very light bites.  Just make sure you'll be comfortable fighting fish by pulling them up hand over hand on light line before you buy one.  They are great in shallower waters, but start to become a hassle in over 15 feet depths.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2011, 12:16 AM »
They are the best shallow water rod on the market. I have caught a ton of fish on mine. The strike indicator is the best on the market. I would not leave home without it or pannies.

Offline iceman0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:42 AM »
Great tool for water 15 feet and under.

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:57 AM »
bought one this year.in shallow water its gota be the best pannie rod on the market.

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2011, 11:41 AM »
Well guys after 4 good reviews in such a short time I had to pull the trigger. Just made my purchase thru Marmsh.ca and will update this as soon as I use this rig. Thanks everyone for being so helpful in this matter.
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2011, 12:02 PM »
My Brother bought one and when I saw it I had to laugh.  I don't laugh any more as he uusually outfishes me with it. I have never fished in deep water with him but it really is a nice product.
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:12 AM »
I caught perch with my marmish rod yesterday on the bottom in 30 ft of water, not a problem hand lining them in but it does take a little longer lowering the jig back down as the 2 lb mono was sticking to the snow/ice a little bit. They are great when fishing shallow like later in the year when I am catching pan fish in 12 ft or less you can't beat the marmish rod.

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Just another quick question bout these jig rods. Marmish sells there own line of "baitless" jigs and I was wondering if these jig rods work better with Marmish jigs or can you put anything on there? Last weekend I used a small red Lindy darter with a crappie minnow and had great success with crappie.
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline MULLSKINNER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Just another quick question bout these jig rods. Marmish sells there own line of "baitless" jigs and I was wondering if these jig rods work better with Marmish jigs or can you put anything on there? Last weekend I used a small red Lindy darter with a crappie minnow and had great success with crappie.

they work great with ratso's and finkes i can't get a marmish jig to show up on my vex. i own 5 of them just a awesome little rod...

MULLSKINNER......
VEXILAR FL8
Aqua-Vu SV100
FRABILL "COMMANDO"
FENWICK HMG ICE RODS ...
Marmish ice rods
G. LOOMIS ICE RODS...

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:32 AM »
I also have marmish jigs I tip them with spikes or a waxie and then they show up on the flasher ok.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2011, 09:14 AM »
bought one this year.in shallow water its gota be the best pannie rod on the market.
i find the same real good in shallow water,i just jig fish
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
rat
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2011, 10:44 PM »
Well guys, after 11 days of waiting my Marmish showed up. I gotta say it is much smaller than what I expected. The strike indicator is probably the part I like the most. I'm gonna put some line on it Sun. morning and hit the lake with it. It also came with one jig which I thought was pretty cool of them to send to me. I'm pretty excited to try my new toy out. I will let you know what I think of this after Sun.
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2011, 12:23 AM »
Well today was my first day using the Marmish rod and I now have a new mistress in my life. This rod is awesome!! They sent me one free jig with it I think it's called a "canoe #1". Not 100% sure bout that cause there was no paperwork with the jig. It just came in a plastic bag. The most difficult part was getting line on the reel. The holes are extremely tiny and was hard to do while sitting in the shack. The strike indicator seems to work very well but since I'm still pretty new at jigging I find myself doing more sightfishing and I need to train myself to just sit back in the chair and watch the strike indicator. I ended up with 11 crappie for the day which is a pretty good day for a rookie. Anyone else have any questions bout this rig please feel free to ask.
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline Good Sam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2011, 09:38 PM »
I am waiting for mine to show up.   Hopefully we will still have some ice here in the Denver area to try it out.  If I have to head to the mountains to use it, has anyone used these rods for trout?

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:15 PM »
i just bought one a few hours ago. What kind of jigs do people recommend for them? I normally fish perch. I will be fishing pan fish later in the year when they start to spawn. Also what kind of line do people spool them up with?

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2011, 01:48 AM »
Mine came with a free jig called "Canoe #1" and is great for any and all pan fish. Not sure bout brand line you wanna use but I wouldn't go any bigger than a 2 LB.
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2011, 04:01 AM »
has anyone used these rods for trout?

My biggest rainbow was 9.2 lbs on a Marmish rod and over 11 lb lake trout. I didn't like them for that big of a fish as the laker I was fighting expired in the fight and my arms were almost expired to. Hard to release and need long revival times. Those little rods have won me lots of $$$ at derbies. They really shine when the bite is very slow. I like to use the larva #3 green and Ural #3 green for rainbow trout ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.