Author Topic: Using baitfeeder reel with Icerigger or Finicky Fooler style tipups.  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ever since catching my first pike on a rod and reel with the Ice Rigger I will not go back to tipups. Too much fun reeling them instead of yanking them in by hand.
Did have a bad experience last year as a flag went up and I got there just in time to see my rod go down the hole. It was windy so I figure the line got wrapped around a guide or something. Anyway I thought I would try baitfeeder type reels. I bought a KastKing Pontius as it looks just like the Centrons I have and love. Problem was with the rear drag in full off it still felt like there was a lot of tension as the line was feeding out. Was afraid I would be running at flags where the fish had dropped the bait due to the tension. I returned the Pontius and bought one of the new Okuma Ceymars thinking a better brand would offer less resistance but it feels pretty much the same. Anyone that uses this type of setup have any issues with fish dropping the bait? Always seems to be windy when I'm out and the baitfeeder would be perfect solution.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
This is old, but hopefully helps you for this season! I run 3 of my Foolers with baitfeeders and open bail on the others. If you're concerned about the open bail/wind, you can always set your drag super loose and use it as a faux baitfeeder that way.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
You can make a hanging bobber similar to the AF one with a balsa wood float and a paper clip ..will allow some slack line but will be pretty wind resistant..it will fly off on the AF when it sets..not so much on the Ice Rigger or the fooler though

https://automaticfisherman.com/store/#!/AF-BALSA-WOOD-HOOK-AND-PIN-BOBBER/p/110701121/category=15414122

You could also remove your spool ...place a rubber band around the spool ..replace spool and then tuck your line under the rubberband ..bale open or closed.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
I wonder what for line he was using?  I'm just guessing here, but I think a braided main line might help since it's more limp and doesn't have memory coils like you can get with mono/flouro?  Maybe that will make it less likely to catch on the guides?
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.