Author Topic: Rod storage  (Read 8187 times)

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rod storage
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:38 PM »
I just ordered the Deluxe Advantage Rod Case by Ice Fishing Innovations.  It holds 6 rods and your tackle plus more.  Great case check it out at www.icefishinginnovati ons.com

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:44 PM »
I ordered mine Friday!
Matt

quote author=macchia182 link=topic=238024.msg2485395#msg2485395 date=1358732302]
I just ordered the Deluxe Advantage Rod Case by Ice Fishing Innovations.  It holds 6 rods and your tackle plus more.  Great case check it out at www.icefishinginnovati ons.com
[/quote]

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:15 PM »
I've been using a Stone Mountain Legacy soft bag for a while now, but wanted to jump to hard case this year. Was sick of the occasional hook getting caught in the fabric and just wanted better overall protection. Went with Otter Rod Case. I looked long and hard at the Innovations Deluxe box though. But man that thing is huuugggggeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeee.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2013, 03:42 AM »
Where did u get your case? I seached for it all all I find is the AR style gun cases.
 Thanks
  Matt

I got mine here.

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=PL&prodID=PL153500&prodTitle=Plano Pro-Max PillarLock Take-Down Gun Case

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2013, 07:35 AM »
I looked long and hard at the Innovations Deluxe box though. But man that thing is huuugggggeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeee.

It's not that big.  Here are the dimentions 6"H x 14.44"W x 40.63"L. 

Offline JSince

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:09 AM »
what I use for sleeves is go to the local golf store and buy some golf club bag sleeves, they are made of light weight plastic but still rigid enough to protect the rod. Take the sleeve and cut to length. Lastly, take thin Velcro tie straps and attached one end to the end of the sleeve to wrap around the reel handle/rod base to hold it on. They work like a charm and are very inexpensive to make.

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2013, 12:06 PM »
It's not that big.  Here are the dimentions 6"H x 14.44"W x 40.63"L.

I've seen it in person, held it, tossed it around. Thing is a tank for sure. It's not that much bigger than the Otter but it sure felt like it was several pounds heavier. Sweet case though. $$ too

Offline Danmoeller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:10 PM »
http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Expedition-Small-Ice-Fishing-Rod-Case-p35636.htm

You can fit 5 in here no problem. By far my favorite case yet. It's speedy but way worth it.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:13 PM »
The reason I went with the deluxe angler locker is I have two poles that are 38" long so I can get them in along with four other shorter rods plus four tackle boxes. Everything will be in one place and all of it will be protected.
Matt

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:14 PM »
I'm really glad I haven't pulled the trigger on a new case yet. Definitely going to have to check out these other cases that I wasn't aware of.  I was sold on the Frabill but I think I'll pass on that. Thanks for all the great feedback!

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:22 PM »
One thing to consider with a hard case is that most are so narrow that you have to unscrew and fold the reel handles in on spinning reels. I have a couple of reels I've grown fond of that the handles don't fold down so a case that has a inner dimension narrower than 5 inches is useless.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:37 AM »
I got my new deluxe rod locker last night. Its pretty impressive. You can fit six combos and they even have a model for the longer rods.  I think its up to 40". I will post some pics later today.
Matt

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2013, 02:55 AM »
Hello all, after some successful night fishing, I am tired of having rods lay in the bottom of my otter and get tangled or get tangled in a bucket. What would you suggest for rod storage without drilling into the sled? I have/use 5 rods.

whats wrong with drilling into the sled ?

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:09 AM »

Hello all, after some successful night fishing, I am tired of having rods lay in the bottom of my otter and get tangled or get tangled in a bucket. What would you suggest for rod storage without drilling into the sled? I have/use 5 rods.

How about 1 ¼" PVC (4" long) bracketed to a piece (or two) of 1" pine. Then you could put some type of hanger on the backside to clip on to your sled wall… like a door hanger or something.

Here's how I did mine (similar to described above).

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:43 PM »
My setup is simular to Dizzy's although inverted.  I took the 1 1/2" pvc and cut it to length of my rods.  They are ziptied into a milk crate all along one side.  Rods go in tip first  and rest on the reel seat.  You have to give some slack on the  spinnin reel, but it saves busted tips and leaves more room in the bottom of the crate compared to it being taken up by reels :)
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:53 AM »
My setup is simular to Dizzy's although inverted.  I took the 1 1/2" pvc and cut it to length of my rods.  They are ziptied into a milk crate all along one side.  Rods go in tip first  and rest on the reel seat.  You have to give some slack on the  spinnin reel, but it saves busted tips and leaves more room in the bottom of the crate compared to it being taken up by reels :)

Can you post a picture of your setup?
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #46 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:56 PM »
I use cable sleeves. Like the stuff they sell for your regular fishing poles but I buy it buy the foot and cut it my self.  Just after you cut it singe the ends so they don't fray.  Here is a place to get it http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/ExpandableSleeving.php

What size do you use?
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #47 on: Feb 04, 2013, 04:05 PM »
I made mine for about $18 bucks.  I am not a fancy kinda guy just wanted something practical.  It isn't so ruff & tuff that you can drive a D-9 over it but it really is light and protects the rods from being crushed.  It has lasted 5 years so far. 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:51 PM »
What size do you use?

I forget what size it is but it is long enough to cover the rod and wide enough to fit over the handle so it goes right to the reel.  It just keeps the lines from being tangled.   

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Can you post a picture of your setup?

"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #50 on: Feb 05, 2013, 10:03 AM »
So large that even I
May never need to lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com