Author Topic: Rod storage  (Read 8192 times)

Offline Prchfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
Rod storage
« on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:49 PM »
Hello all, after some successful night fishing, I am tired of having rods lay in the bottom of my otter and get tangled or get tangled in a bucket. What would you suggest for rod storage without drilling into the sled? I have/use 5 rods.

Offline MSU AGGIE

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rod storage
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:53 PM »
I use a rod sleeve and then put into a bucket/ rod case.

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Auggie wat sleeve do u use

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:17 PM »
I bought a cabelas rod bag. I fit 4 rods and 2 tip ups in it. Plus my tackle boxes.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:23 PM »
The hard otter rod box if you want the top of the line in protection.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:02 PM »
I use the otter sportsman case It holds two 28 inch walleye rods and three 24 inch pan fish rods. I put it in my otter pro lodge and dont have to worry about any damage to my rods. I paid $90.00 + tax at Reeds
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:28 PM »
The Clam rod locker is pretty slick but hard to find.   Frabill has a hard shell rod locker that's tough as nails.  It depends on what you want.  I'm going to pick up the Frabill myself.  I've tried the cheapo HT case which was just horrible and I also have sleeves on all my ice rods but like you am afraid that my rods will break in the bottom of the sled. 

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:34 PM »
double shotgun case from walmart. just had to glue the pads in place but now i can easily fit 6 or so rods up to 40 inches in there. for 20 bucks it was the way to go for me

Offline Prchfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:57 AM »
I may just put PVC rod holders in the bottom of the bucket so the rods will stay separated and upright

Offline lyonboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:59 AM »
I got the Frabill hard case and love it.  Not as expensive as the Otter hard case either.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:59 AM »
I have the clam rod bag and its okay. The only problem I have with it is the pocket for your tackle never stays on that side. Its always on top of the rods. I have also had the hard Frabil case and its okay but takes up a lot of room. I'm thinking about mounting the HT rod holder that's plastic to the back of my Otter sled. I hand pull my sled so its not like they will get covered in snow and ice from being towed by a snowmobile. Still kicking it around though.
Matt

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:04 AM »
I just ordered a wooden rod case on ebay for $50.00 ................. it will hold 4 rods ! There is also a 6 rod model available for $60.00 ! 
ice fishing rules

Offline beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:06 AM »
I use 1" PVC tubes for each of my rods.  Carry 7 rods that way in an HT bag.

Offline pannyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:28 PM »
x3 on the Frabill Rod Locker

pannyjigger.

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:47 PM »
I use cable sleeves. Like the stuff they sell for your regular fishing poles but I buy it buy the foot and cut it my self.  Just after you cut it singe the ends so they don't fray.  Here is a place to get it http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/ExpandableSleeving.php

Offline MSU AGGIE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:15 AM »
I use the Lindy rod socks, but there are many good ones on the market.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Let's fish it.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of the Frabill case. I would like to see all sides of the case. Online they only have one picture of it.

Offline kazz22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2013, 01:40 AM »
dannaa what size do you get I was thinking fo the stuff that expanded to 1 1/4"  but thought it would be to big

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2013, 05:56 AM »
Otter Hard case.

WS

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2013, 02:37 PM »
dannaa what size do you get I was thinking fo the stuff that expanded to 1 1/4"  but thought it would be to big

I get it big so it will fit over the handle just a bit.  Check big lots they have it sometimes they sell it with their electronics maybe even radio shack. That way at least you can see it before you buy it.... :)

Oh by the way its Dan_aka_Iggy

Offline kazz22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:00 PM »
thanks Dan_aka_Iggy :)

Offline big-fat-john

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:39 PM »
just bought this:

http://www.strikerbrands.com/store/p/92-Striker-Ice-Transporter.aspx

striker ice transporter.  should be here this week.  reviews once i get it and once i use it on the ice.

for me, i'm always walking so a hard case added too much weight.  plus, the transporter doubles as a backpack, which i already use so i'll just transfer what i currently put in my pack into this one.  can't wait to try it.

Offline big-fat-john

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:33 PM »
as promised, here is my review:

a very nice bag. very well made. i am impressed enough that i am considering getting their ice suit. i'm sold. the bag is slightly larger than i expected, but it fits my LX-5, aqua vu xps series cam, 5 custom rods with reels attached and tubes to protect the rods, and two outer pockets on each side that can hold all my tackle.  about the only thing it didn't fit were my tip ups. 

it also doubles as a backpack, which is a great feature.  you have to be careful to load it bottom heavy though if you use it as a backpack.  it also has a sling you can use to shoulder carry.  if i were to use it as a backpack, i probably wouldn't put five rods in it, since three holders are on one side and two are on the opposite side which would cause the rods on top to have pressure against them hanging upside down.

i took pics, but i realized there's no upload feature to the forum.  plus, i don't photobucket or any of that.

Offline Gofish41

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2013, 02:02 PM »
I use golf bag club inserts.  Inexpensive, durable, light weight and you can cut them to size.

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:04 PM »
To compare the frabill case to the otter case is a huge discredit to otter. I ordered the frabill rod case and put it right back into the shipping box and drove to the post office to send it back two minutes later. Flimsy thin plastic exterior, and no metal hinges. I felt sick when i saw the low quality of the case for the money it costed. After returning it, i spent the extra $20 i should have spent in the first place and bought the otter rod case. Way thicker material, and all metal hinges plus it has alot more space and easily holds 36" rods. I couldn't be any happier than i am with the otter case.

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:04 AM »
  I have had the otter hard case for 2 years.  No problems with it, and it does the job well for protecting my ice rods.  :)

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:22 AM »
I have tried a lot of the soft rod cases made for ice fishing.  The best rod case that I have seen to date is the Plano 36" gun case. This case has foam on the inside and 5 locking latches.  I am able to carry the 7 rods that I normally carry with all the rigging intact. This thing is so durable that I probably could drag it across the ice without damaging the case or the rods. The case itself fits perfectly in the sled of my Clam Pro or on the rack of my wheeler whichever I take out on the ice. The cost of this case was way lower than the other hard cases made by the other major manufacturers.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:29 PM »
Where did u get your case? I seached for it all all I find is the AR style gun cases.
 Thanks
  Matt

I have tried a lot of the soft rod cases made for ice fishing.  The best rod case that I have seen to date is the Plano 36" gun case. This case has foam on the inside and 5 locking latches.  I am able to carry the 7 rods that I normally carry with all the rigging intact. This thing is so durable that I probably could drag it across the ice without damaging the case or the rods. The case itself fits perfectly in the sled of my Clam Pro or on the rack of my wheeler whichever I take out on the ice. The cost of this case was way lower than the other hard cases made by the other major manufacturers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.