The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: New around here  (Read 722 times)

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
New around here
« on: Oct 22, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Hello. New around here. I've been reading online but I was hoping to get some info about what I might expect to catch in the Westborough area? Walleye? Perch?

Thanks!
Teach a kid to fish and hunt and they will be resourceful, smart and confident. Today's world is much different than the one I knew as a child. They need these skills even more than I did.

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
Re: New around here
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2013, 07:44 PM »
perch in many ponds around ma. not sure about walleye? lots of LMBs, pickerel, trout, some pike waters as well. go to any shanty gathering and you'll meet a ton of great people. If you look at some of the posts from years past you will see the camaraderie. Welcome aboard

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2013, 07:56 PM »
There is really only one river in the whole state that you can even take a shot at icing a Walleye and it's a bit of a long shot without a lot of time put in.

Lot's of perch, Bass (LM and SM), Pike are a big target, Croppie, trout, heck we even consider jigging for pond shiners prime sport around here. 

Welcome to the area!

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Thanks guys. Disappointing to hear about the mercury issues. I will be sure to attend an event. I grew up in South Dakota, the fishing around there has been unreal the past 10 yrs.
Teach a kid to fish and hunt and they will be resourceful, smart and confident. Today's world is much different than the one I knew as a child. They need these skills even more than I did.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Some real good Bass, Perch, trout waters and some waters you might have a shot at a pike or a tiger muskie in the Westborough area. Chauncy is typically very slow but holds some good Bass and pickeral as well as the occassional pike or tiger. Rocky Pond in Northborough will put you onto some 5+lbs bass and some hefty pickeral. Whitehall in Hopkinton is another good bet for bass and pickeral as well as trout. All a 5 to 15 minute drive from anywhere in Westborough. Welcome to the site.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2013, 12:54 AM »
Thanks guys. Disappointing to hear about the mercury issues. I will be sure to attend an event. I grew up in South Dakota, the fishing around there has been unreal the past 10 yrs.
FSDG  go striper fishing you will think it is unreal too. I have the reverse affect I grew up there and moved to the midwest and am jonesing for real fishing. The muskie and salmon fight killa but the stripers are the best in my mind . this is a great site and most will help you out with what evah you want to do for fish to target. I know what its like to leave all the great fishing you know and start over to figure out the new location.

good luck
Ron
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2013, 01:14 AM »
Welcome to the site and the area! I am a little North and West of you. When the ice is ready I am sure you will get plenty of invites, including one from me.

Offline Stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just a kid until the end.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2013, 05:25 AM »
Welcome to the Shanty.  Looks like the men have filled you in onthe Westboro area.  All we need now is some ice.   :tipup:
Member of the GODs, the Grumpy Old Dudes, "We're off our rockers."

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2013, 08:24 AM »
Welcome FormerSDGuy, glad to have you aboard. Some decent fishing in the Westborough area. I was born and raised there....until I got married, had kids and the taxes are too high...homes too expensive....anyway I digress, would be happy to have you join me sometime when I'm out.

It was nice to feel that nip in the air this morning.
It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2013, 06:21 PM »
Hey welcome to the shanty.  Don't be discouraged there are some hawgs to be caught up here in Mass.  I can show you a few ponds here in the Worcester area for some nice fish.  Hope you can make it to a gathering, you won't meet a better group of guys anywhere than you will meet on here.  Hope to see you on the hard water.   :tipup:
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2013, 06:27 PM »
Welcome aboard. Use the search feature to find old posts with dates and locations for ideas of when and where to start. And as noted above you can always join us diehards for a sunrise to sunset day on the ice.  Some of us take our food on ice as seriously as the fishing. A bad day ice fishing beats a great day at work and one with superior culinary delights is even better.

Flags up!
Ctown

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2013, 09:06 AM »
I'm in Shrewsbury and fish Westborough all the time. Get in touch with me this season and we will put some fish on the ice.  :tipup:

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2013, 09:22 AM »
Welcome to the addiction ....

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2013, 01:26 PM »
I almost forgot, there is a good group from MFF hittin up da Chu on Nov. 2nd. Good chance to meet some of the guys. Most of us on IS are on MFF too.

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2013, 06:13 PM »
welcome aboard, i am from the western part of the state and am doing the same as you for ice fishing when i visit my daughter and family in lincoln nebraska. gl john  :tipup:

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2013, 10:43 AM »
Thanks everyone. I may take some of you up on the invites. Our household goods (including my auger, vexy, rods, and tackle) are in storage until we purchase a home next spring. This year I will be thumbing my way to a hole in the hard water.

I am going to use it as an excuse to buy a couple new poles but I'm betting she wouldn't go for me doubling up on my gear seeing how I'm not letting her double up on her "stuff".

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Welcome aboard the MA site.
MA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.