Author Topic: The red is nearly fished out.  (Read 8255 times)

Offline owatajrkiam

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The red is nearly fished out.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:00 PM »
My brother and his girlfriend fished in our shack at CIL road from 9:00pm. Dec. 31st (New years eve all nighter)and by 8:00 a.m. when i showed up New years day they had 1 bourbot and 1 sauger. From 8:00 - 5:00 when we left we put back 20 sauger. Not one walleye. Good thing i had brought out walleye fillets i had in the freezer to go along with our grilled cheese on rye. I've never seen it this bad in all the years i've fished here. Personally..i think it has a lot to do with the dredging of the channel. I know the commercial fishing was bad on the south side this year as a few guys i know felt it in their wallets. This is my virgin post and glad to be here. Lots of great info. Favorite jig is 1/8 oz. blue jig w/stinger on my St. Croix rod.

Glen

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2014, 04:57 PM »
My brother and his girlfriend fished in our shack at CIL road from 9:00pm. Dec. 31st (New years eve all nighter)and by 8:00 a.m. when i showed up New years day they had 1 bourbot and 1 sauger. From 8:00 - 5:00 when we left we put back 20 sauger. Not one walleye. Good thing i had brought out walleye fillets i had in the freezer to go along with our grilled cheese on rye. I've never seen it this bad in all the years i've fished here. Personally..i think it has a lot to do with the dredging of the channel. I know the commercial fishing was bad on the south side this year as a few guys i know felt it in their wallets. This is my virgin post and glad to be here. Lots of great info. Favorite jig is 1/8 oz. blue jig w/stinger on my St. Croix rod.

Glen

Welcome Owat. This is a good site. Serious(ish) fisherman only and no rudeness. Favorite jig is the one I steal from my buddy when I see him catching.

Good Luck and Good Fishing to You!!!

Offline revren

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:54 PM »
 It is my belief that the poaching that's going on in the summer/ fall being people takeing anything they get there hands on sauger, walleye, channelcats  is out of control.   I say more road side checks just like the checkstops and even follow up at peoples residents fridges and freezers. There are people there at peak times everyday. there should also be slot sizes for different times of the year lets say release all fish 24 inch and over between sept15 to nov 30 and in the spring   all 24inchand over march 1 to close march 31 just my thoughts.  ps large boards with the rules in these areas.  lets say in the top 5 areas on the red river for people to view. like the people that claim ignorance. Idiots sorry  for the rant. good luck fishing

Offline owatajrkiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:44 PM »
I agree on the slot sizes. I grew up on the Rainy River in North Western Ontario and the fishing slowed down and they introduced the slot sizes, but on the Minnesota side of the river they did not. It took awhile for them to play ball but after everyone was on board the Walleyes picked right up. Also the DNR and OPP were scouring the boat launches and other areas a lot which you do not see on the Red. I sure see a lot of the DNR trucks in the city quite a lot...they should be in the bush and patrolling the waterways. I have nothing to hide and ALL my walleye go back in the water. I will keep some saugers for the frying pan but that's it. I buy my Walleye from the Gimli fishermen and at a good price so that helps keep them in business. I'll posts pics soon on my ice shack. It's 8'X8'X8' and it's got Lexan windows which you can't break and the door opens to the outside so the punks can't kick it "in" and i have a huge hardened steel bar across the door with a (better have a torch) Master lock on it. So they are not coming to mine they are coming to yours!!! LOL.

Glen

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:29 PM »
I agree on the slot sizes. I grew up on the Rainy River in North Western Ontario and the fishing slowed down and they introduced the slot sizes, but on the Minnesota side of the river they did not. It took awhile for them to play ball but after everyone was on board the Walleyes picked right up. Also the DNR and OPP were scouring the boat launches and other areas a lot which you do not see on the Red. I sure see a lot of the DNR trucks in the city quite a lot...they should be in the bush and patrolling the waterways. I have nothing to hide and ALL my walleye go back in the water. I will keep some saugers for the frying pan but that's it. I buy my Walleye from the Gimli fishermen and at a good price so that helps keep them in business. I'll posts pics soon on my ice shack. It's 8'X8'X8' and it's got Lexan windows which you can't break and the door opens to the outside so the punks can't kick it "in" and i have a huge hardened steel bar across the door with a (better have a torch) Master lock on it. So they are not coming to mine they are coming to yours!!! LOL.

Glen
Don't be so cocky.  I've seen what they do.  In the past my buddy had a shack on the river.  He had an aluminum door that opened out.  They tried to get in and decided to drive their vehicle into it when they couldn't.
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline owatajrkiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2014, 01:38 PM »
Don't be so cocky.  I've seen what they do.  In the past my buddy had a shack on the river.  He had an aluminum door that opened out.  They tried to get in and decided to drive their vehicle into it when they couldn't.

Not being "cocky" at all. I full well know nothing is bulletproof,but it is ridiculous that a person has to resort to this. I had a boat motor stolen after i thought i took all the measures to insure it was "safe".

Glen

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2014, 03:12 PM »
but it is ridiculous that a person has to resort to this.

So true. These days if it isn't locked up or bolted down people will take it (and even if it is locked or bolted it's still not safe). It is a shame that society is like this but in our neck of the woods we swap names and numbers with all the shacks in our area and whenever anyone is out they do a quick patrol of everyones shacks / belongings. It only takes a few minutes, works pretty good and gives a bit of extra piece of mind. Ice fishing community is pretty good as far as people looking out for others.

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Not being "cocky" at all. I full well know nothing is bulletproof,but it is ridiculous that a person has to resort to this. I had a boat motor stolen after i thought i took all the measures to insure it was "safe".

Glen
Sorry for misunderstanding the way you wrote it! I took it that you were untouchable the way you have your shack built.  To bad about your boat.  I managed to get some satisfaction on a thief once.  I made a steel cage and bolted my amp for my vehicle to the floor.  Then I brazed the nuts on under the suv.  It was a pleasure to find my amp still there in the morning and blood all over when he gashed himself trying to steel it!

Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline revren

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:25 PM »
Again it should be manditory to anchor a chunk of I-beam in one hole so your shack doesn't blow away in wind storms. thus lowering the car/truck to shack problem again most of the time this happens it a stolen vechical but in the end you'll have a dna sample to go with on in the investigation side lol....

Offline owatajrkiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:59 PM »
Today i hit 3 Walleye and put em' back. Brought a Brazillian exchange student out fishing and she was sending her parents pictures of her holding a sauger. The weather there was +28C today.....here......we ll let's just say...i burned a bit o' wood today with us cooking Kubi and grilled cheese samiches!

Offline MA Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:05 AM »
It's the thousands that don't read forums and don't care about rules you have to reach.

Agreed!  And most of them could care less.  Many of them are driven by greed. 

Offline CDNwiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:11 AM »
Just heard from the little birdy that the commercial fisherman must have raised a big enough stink that the MB gov. has allocated funds to start dredging the mouth this summer but not all. More will be done next year as well. So fishing on the Red could be better this fall for open water and Ice fishing  :clap:..........but I'll believe it when it happens,so for now all we can be is hopeful.  :icefish:

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2014, 01:18 PM »
Just heard from the little birdy that the commercial fisherman must have raised a big enough stink that the MB gov. has allocated funds to start dredging the mouth this summer but not all. More will be done next year as well. So fishing on the Red could be better this fall for open water and Ice fishing  :clap:..........but I'll believe it when it happens,so for now all we can be is hopeful.  :icefish:

Maybe more to do with flooding than fishing but either way is a win win.....better fishing and better flood control :thumbsup:

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:13 PM »
No doubt there is a correlation between the flooding and the lack of dredging. No doubt that the lack of dredging has hurt the walleye run.

Problem is that this is not a provincial responsibility from what I understand. The feds are in charge of it because it is a federal waterway. That is why all the dredging equipment is marked Government Of Canada.  Having said that, I have a lot more faith in the feds than I do in the pathetic clowns that run the province.

I will chalk this up to " I hope so, but I will believe it when I see it".

If it is the province, I expect Selinger to apply a River Tax to all of us immediately after the dredging is done.  And, if it is the province, it is nice to see them spend money on flood relief here instead of sending the money overseas to buy votes.

I will get off my apple crate now... ;)

Offline owatajrkiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Here's a link to the discussion in 2011 and still NO action. http://www.interlaketoday.ca/2011/01/14/a-return-to-dredging

They talk about installing a kit on the stupid Amphibex . What a waste of money that is as far as i'm concerned. Even the one the Feds had in the 90's was inadequate. When i was young,we lived in Long Beach, Calif. and my father operated the worlds largest dredge to remove the sediment in the Long Beach harbor to house the Queen Mary and all the larger aircraft carriers. That thing would get the Red flowing!

Glen

Offline CDNwiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:23 AM »
WELL ! After reading that it kinda burst my bubble. You might as well stand in the river with a shovel and move sand/mud from one side of your body to the other side. Who ever sold the Amphibex idea must obviously know someone in the NDP ( Naive Dumb People ) party. I believe there used to be a dredging barge in Selkirk at one time.......long time ago.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:24 PM »
WELL ! After reading that it kinda burst my bubble. You might as well stand in the river with a shovel and move sand/mud from one side of your body to the other side. Who ever sold the Amphibex idea must obviously know someone in the NDP ( Naive Dumb People ) party. I believe there used to be a dredging barge in Selkirk at one time.......long time ago.

The barge, and the boat that had the dredging equipment were in the slough until this past year. The dredging boat looked like it had been disassembled but the barge was still there in September.

Offline Live2fish5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 07, 2014, 03:17 PM »
I kind of disagree with some points in this thread. I don't fish the red at all so I can't weigh in on what the fishing is like there but as far as Lake Winnipeg goes. The walleye fishery in the winter is unbelievably good. out of my last 20 trips over the past two winters I have caught over 10 walleye almost every trip and tons of large fish. a 28+ fish at least every third trip or so and always lots of 25"+ fish. I also know guys who kill them on the red early season. besides ice fishing with a rod and reel on lake winnipeg, commercial fishing guys are filling there quota's extremely fast. So I think that when guys say "lake Winnipeg is dying and the red is getting out fished" these are the same guys that don't go and hunt them down. lake winnipeg is a lot bigger then just a couple kilometers from chalet.

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 07, 2014, 03:28 PM »
I kind of disagree with some points in this thread. I don't fish the red at all so I can't weigh in on what the fishing is like there but as far as Lake Winnipeg goes. The walleye fishery in the winter is unbelievably good. out of my last 20 trips over the past two winters I have caught over 10 walleye almost every trip and tons of large fish. a 28+ fish at least every third trip or so and always lots of 25"+ fish. I also know guys who kill them on the red early season. besides ice fishing with a rod and reel on lake winnipeg, commercial fishing guys are filling there quota's extremely fast. So I think that when guys say "lake Winnipeg is dying and the red is getting out fished" these are the same guys that don't go and hunt them down. lake winnipeg is a lot bigger then just a couple kilometers from chalet.
if you think lake winnipeg isnt dying, you should do more research! That statement has nothing to do how the fishing is currently! Wait a few years, the amount of time isn't known, but all the pollution being dumped in that has helped sumo size our greenbacks at a very fast rate will eventually kill everything including the fish! This fact is pretty well known. 

Offline Live2fish5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 07, 2014, 03:37 PM »
I'm not saying that Lake Winnipeg isn't in trouble. Sure it is. but to go as far to say that the fish population is going to massively decline any time soon or that it already is, that's only a guess/opinion by some people. There is also no scientific facts showing that the pollution is making the walleye bigger then they have ever been. look back 50 years. There were still tons of large trophy green backs. nothing to do with pollution but everyone is entitled to there own opinion and I respect that.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 07, 2014, 04:42 PM »
I'm not saying that Lake Winnipeg isn't in trouble. Sure it is. but to go as far to say that the fish population is going to massively decline any time soon or that it already is, that's only a guess/opinion by some people. There is also no scientific facts showing that the pollution is making the walleye bigger then they have ever been. look back 50 years. There were still tons of large trophy green backs. nothing to do with pollution but everyone is entitled to there own opinion and I respect that.

Okay, I will never argue on the internet - you know what they say about people who argue on the internet. But I will state my point of view.

You may be in fact correct that there is no scientific research proving fish numbers have declined. There also may be no scientific research proving that the numbers are flat or increased.

I, and others, may be just basing our opinion on something we can actually trust - our personal experience. My personal experience is as stated. As for the lake being big? Yeah, it is. I have crossed it several times by boat over the years. I have also fished the red from Winnipeg to Fargo.....for forty years.

So, yeah I guess I have no scientific proof. I also guess I don't need any. I see it how I see it.  Not that I am correct in my thesis, but I still see that fishing is nowhere near as good as it has been.

Congratulations on being able to have so much success catching fish like that on a consistent basis. There is no doubt that you are much better at it than I am.

As for the state of our lakes?? I Don't recall E-Coli warnings at every beach ten years ago.

Over-fishing, poaching, health of the lake and dredging are destroying our resource....hope I am wrong though.

Best of luck to you.

Offline Live2fish5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:16 PM »
As I said I don't fish the red. The reason for the lack of fish may be caused by location or that walleye arn't running up the red in great numbers for who knows what reason. I was simply stating that myself personally, I have held very steady success on the lake. I didn't mean to say that in a way to boast or for anyone to take offence to it as I see that you have - "There is no doubt that you are much better at it than I am." This last fall we also killed the walleye on the Winnipeg river system. There is a lot of fish around and there not decreasing in numbers, maybe just on the red. Besides rod&reel fishing, if you ever are in company of one of the long time commercial fisherman from the gimli area whom pass there commercial fishing license down from generation to generation. if you asked any of them.. gimli fish guys, smiths or Svensons they would tell you that the amount of fish over the past 5 years are better then they have ever been getting in there nets.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:35 PM »
As I said I don't fish the red. The reason for the lack of fish may be caused by location or that walleye arn't running up the red in great numbers for who knows what reason. I was simply stating that myself personally, I have held very steady success on the lake. I didn't mean to say that in a way to boast or for anyone to take offence to it as I see that you have - "There is no doubt that you are much better at it than I am." This last fall we also killed the walleye on the Winnipeg river system. There is a lot of fish around and there not decreasing in numbers, maybe just on the red. Besides rod&reel fishing, if you ever are in company of one of the long time commercial fisherman from the gimli area whom pass there commercial fishing license down from generation to generation. if you asked any of them.. gimli fish guys, smiths or Svensons they would tell you that the amount of fish over the past 5 years are better then they have ever been getting in there nets.

If you read the thread, I have talked to them. I have family that live there. Two of the old boys told me the production is due to the bigger, better boats, sonar, new net styles and techniques. They said they would be toast if they had to try to fish the old way. That tells me things have not changed for the better, or they could still be using an old wooden boat.

I am not sure why you sound angry. I said you must be a better fisherman than I am because I don't catch the amount or quality of fish you do.

There simply is not enough data to determine whether it is perception or reality. Here are some excerpts from the latest report I can find.

Overview

last updated on 24th December 2012
Strengths
The Walleye fishery is well regulated for commercial and recreational fishers in Lake Winnipeg. Walleye catches are regulated through possession limits, gillnet mesh size restrictions, quotas and fishery permits. The three major commercial fish species incl. walleye have been well managed under the quota system for the past 40 years.

Weaknesses
Historical CPUE of all three major commercial fish have to be re-evaluated and there is a need to conduct a robust stock assessment for walleye and other commercial fish species. Currently, there is a combined quota of Recommended Allowable Harvest (RAH) of 6.52 million kg for 3 commercial species). But, there is a need to stipulate Individual harvest quotas for Walleye and other 2 finfish species as the percentage of Walleye in the total catch has increased in the past 4 decades.

Options
There is a need to develop separate quotas for each of the RAH species; there is a need to develop reference point indicators to provide timely advice on increasing or decreasing quotas for individual species. There is a need to conduct regular monitoring of stocks and strengthen decision-making process for RAH species; Lake Winnipeg Task Force recommends that the current quota of 6.52 million kg for walleye, sauger and lake whitefish should be split into three separate quotas “in a ratio of 19% for sauger (1.24 million kg), 56% for walleye (3.65 million kg) and 25% for lake whitefish (1.63 million kg)” for future years (L**censored** 2011). There is a need to conduct a new survey to evaluate harvest of fish by First Nations communities to assist future stock assessments.

1. Management Quality ( see detailed section ) (top)

Stock Assessment last updated on 24th December 2012

Due to significant uncertainty in fishery data for Lake Winnipeg; absence of complete estimates of fishery effort, MSY or other biological reference points cannot be calculated for the Walleye stock. Catch rates are at an all-time high and index-net series suggest that Walleye stock are healthy. Recent stock assessments have suggested that abundance in recent years is due to success of single age class in 2001 (L**censored** 2011).

“Data on domestic or subsistence harvests of fish from Lake Winnipeg are generally unavailable, and there are no estimates of the harvests of the three quota species. Recreational harvests are similarly under-studied; only in the most recent national survey was there an attempt to determine walleye recreational harvest rates from Lake Winnipeg” (DFO 2007 in L**censored** 2011).

Although there is an absence of reference points to estiamte hte health of Lake Winnipeg;s fish stocks, MFB has used the following three stock -monitoring criteria to calculate RAHs for the three finfish species: “Presence of 3 year classes at >15% each; Stable or increasing mean age; and Mean age of maturity < mean age of the catch” (L**censored** 2011).

Scientific Advice

The Lake Winnipeg Task Force gave the following recommendations on state of fish stocks in Lake Winnipeg:
“The Task Force has reached three major conclusions as a result of its work:
1. The available fisheries information and analysis from sources consulted are inadequate to determine absolute estimates of current or past biological productivity for Lake Winnipeg, and the proper application of standard stock
assessment methods based on biomass or indices is not possible with the data at hand.
2. Because of the lack of data, the Task Force is unable to recommend either increases or decreases in a total Recommended Allowable Harvest (RAH) of 6.52 million kg for the Lake.
3. The uncertainty and lack of adequate information needed to make informed decisions about possible changes in RAHs will continue unless there are changes made to data collection by the MFB, FFMC, and fishers, and additional research is done to enhance our understanding of the fishery, the fish and the broader ecosystem” (L**censored** 2011).

Managers’ Decisions last updated on 24th December 2012

Recreational fishing license is required for angling, dip netting, spear fishing, bow fishing and seining (Manitoba Fisheries 2012).

1. Persons holding Conservation license have a reduced license limit of 4 walleye / person.
2. In Manitoba all anglers are required to use barbless hooks.
3. Persons of Status Indians and First nations are required to have a license to fish in Lake;s waters, and are exempt from angling and gear restrictions when fishing for food or subsistence purposes.
4. Commercial anglers may use one rod and line only, with the exception of ice fishing season when two rods or lines may be used.
5. Conservation license – Walleye possession limit of 4 (only one fish may exceed 55 cm); minimum length 71 cm (28 inches).
6. Regular license – Walleye possession limit of 6 (only one fish may exceed 55 cm).
&. Gillnet Mesh-size restrictions: Fishing communities in South Basin and channel fisheries can use nets upto 3 inches throughout the year; North Basin Inshore areas referred as “pickerel pockets” cannot use nets smaller than 3¾ inches in the fall and summer, and nets smaller than 4¼ inches in winter. White fish fleet can only fish in central part of North Basin using mesh nets of 4¼ inch or larger in size.
7. Seasonal opening and closure of the fishery.

In the Commercial fishery, catches of walleye are regulated through use of quotas, mesh size limitations for gillnets, in-season restrictions, and regulations limiting number of licensed fishermen.

Compliance last updated on 24th December 2012

Data from Manitoba Ministry of Water Stewardship suggests that compliance is relatively good for recreational and commercial fisheries in Lake Winnipeg.

Anyhow, as I said - best of luck to you.

Offline Greenteam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:20 PM »
I don't understand how dredging is supposed to help the Red River fishery. Are people suggesting that a larger channel will allow more fish to move through? Seems a bit silly. Sure seems like the saugers are doing ok!

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice, cold, water you say? sounds miserable... not!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:44 AM »
also look at the insane numbers of people fishing the red! the pressure on the fish in overwhelming!
the fish may as well be getting smarter, in know when i go out i still am marking fish constanly all day, they follow and follow but most wont commit,
same as the shoal lakes yes the amount of fish harvested has a big impact but also the fish have gotten smarter, it has gone from when no one fished it and you could catch them on 1/4oz walleye jigs to now you have to scale down to tny jigging spoons and more realistic microbaits or livies to have a constant catch rate.
dont know where im going with this but i beleive its not all just the number of fish being taken out, animals adapt, and for all the guys who catch and release those fish are less likely to feed for the next couple days, hence these might be your big girls on the flasher that just wont take
hello my name is lostman and im an ice fishing addict, and always will be

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:50 PM »
also look at the insane numbers of people fishing the red! the pressure on the fish in overwhelming!
the fish may as well be getting smarter, in know when i go out i still am marking fish constanly all day, they follow and follow but most wont commit,
same as the shoal lakes yes the amount of fish harvested has a big impact but also the fish have gotten smarter, it has gone from when no one fished it and you could catch them on 1/4oz walleye jigs to now you have to scale down to tny jigging spoons and more realistic microbaits or livies to have a constant catch rate.
dont know where im going with this but i beleive its not all just the number of fish being taken out, animals adapt, and for all the guys who catch and release those fish are less likely to feed for the next couple days, hence these might be your big girls on the flasher that just wont take

That does have a lot to do with it. Even if there is the same number of fish entering the system, thousands of anglers will put huge pressure on the resource.  Sure, more may come along but they are basically being "netted" as there are hundreds of lines in the water.  One only has to go to Selkirk (Poacher's) Park in the summer to see people shoulder-to-shoulder. A cruise down the river toward the bridge and you will see hundreds of people.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.