Author Topic: Reel Maintenance  (Read 2410 times)

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Reel Maintenance
« on: Mar 06, 2010, 10:20 PM »
I bought a couple reels that seemed nice and smooth with intentions of using them on my ice fishing rods. When they are cold, the grease gets stiff and it isn't so easy to crank. Does anyone grease their ice fishing reels? If so, what kind of grease is good for ice fishing reels?

Thanks for any input!  

5 X
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Reel Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2010, 10:40 PM »
I grease/clean my summer and winter reels every 1 or 2 years, little tip q-Tips rock for getting out the fine grit that builds up.  For winter I use something called hot sauce.  After I hit the ice tomorrow I will double check and get back to on the brand. 

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2010, 07:54 AM »
I grease/clean my summer and winter reels every 1 or 2 years, little tip q-Tips rock for getting out the fine grit that builds up.  For winter I use something called hot sauce.  After I hit the ice tomorrow I will double check and get back to on the brand. 
Great tip Sven.....I need to do that to a few reels....especially when a 1/2 perch feels like a 10 lb walleye  ;D ;D ;D
Looking forward to knowing brand and where you bought the stuff.
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:07 AM »
I grease/clean my summer and winter reels every 1 or 2 years, little tip q-Tips rock for getting out the fine grit that builds up.  For winter I use something called hot sauce.  After I hit the ice tomorrow I will double check and get back to on the brand.  

Thats what I did.  I cleaned it of all the grease and put the hot sauce oil on it.  Did you use the grease or oil? Have you ever tried Frabils Sub Zero?
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:17 AM »
Quantum hot sauce

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:32 AM »

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Quantum hot sauce
Did you use the grease or oil?  They make both.
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2010, 08:15 AM »
Well it looks like nobody has tried the Quantum Hot Sauce Greese.  They have only used the oil.  I guess that if I can find the greese I will try it.  Only I will put the rod and reel in the freezer before my next outing and see how stiff it is.
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline gmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2010, 12:45 PM »
grease is a lot thicker than oil in general so I would assume it would be stiffer than using the oil

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2010, 12:55 PM »
what's better to clean reels, grease or oil?     :tipup:

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2010, 11:11 PM »
Sorry for not getting back sooner.  Yes it is Quantum who makes the Hot Sauce and it is good stuff.  Both the oil and the grease have there purpose.  Some people don't care for it and there are other alternatives out there and for winter make sure it is a very low viscosity oil/grease.  Oil I use for the hinge on the handle, the bail, the spool holdy thingy (word escapes me at the moment..ah wait spindle), drag control and grease on the interior mechanisms if necessary and depends on reel brand.  Try not to use grease on the parts exposed to the elements b/c a) it gets on your hands and line where as oil tends to sit in the groves without being excessive and b) grease although longer lasting (sticks better) it also attracts and retains particles of sand and dirt which will cause damage. 

what's better to clean reels, grease or oil?     :tipup:

I use a light oil to clean my reels.  I only use water/soap to clean the exterior of them.  It doesn't have to be the winter oil to do the cleaning, just something to loosen the grease and grit.  I think I use the little tins of household oil dabbed on a shop towel or q-tip, All-in-One or something like that.  Then wipe clean.  After wiping simply apply new oil/grease.

Take care if you take apart the reels because them damn little screws go flying.  Spinning reels are pretty easy and for the most part you can put them back together with no problem.  Now baitcasters with fancy magnetic spool drags (to stop crow's nests) are a different story.  Opening up the case of them can cause springs to fly out like fireworks on Canada day. 

Have you ever tried Frabils Sub Zero?

I haven't, but I do remember something a couple years ago about it being a little stiff below -15C but that could have been remedied by now so I really don't know.  I do know that the stuff they use for packing the shafts of their tip-ups (pro-thermal) is very good at staying loose in the coldest of temps so if it is the same stuff then you should be good to go.

I try and not use winter stuff on my summer reels as the winter stuff can come off very easy and leave your reel with reduced lube and corrosion protection.  I hope this helps.

Svengalli

Offline IceBrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:03 PM »
I had a similar experience with a nice quality new lightweight reel which I took out ice fishing and it froze, as well as my main summer baitfeeder reel.

Quantum hotsauce oil = they worked much better!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.