Author Topic: WHAT STATE HAS THE BIGGEST YELLOW PERCH??....NJ..  (Read 46754 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: WHAT STATE HAS THE BIGGEST YELLOW PERCH??....NJ..
« Reply #120 on: Feb 21, 2010, 12:08 AM »
Out of town,

How big was the perch in the picture? It looks like a monster!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Feb 21, 2010, 12:11 AM »
I have only seen two perch in may life that were over 16 inches.....  one was 16 1/4 and the other one was 17 inches.  I had proof of the 16 1/4 one on my CP cause the guy emailed pics and thanked me for measuring it for him and to let me know how much it wieghed.  The 16 1/4 also came from the lake that had the previous state record for PA and has produced two tounrey winning perch.  The 17 incher was probably a freak becaue it came out of small swampy place called thomas's dam outside montgomery (pretty much a large farm pond), and it was caught by my best friend growing up.  We took it down to the local deli to have it wieghed and in the middle of the summer it was over 2 pounds with no eggs . 

My personal best is a 15 3/4 incher out of lake jean early ice.  We brought it home and it was still alive so we took it out to gander mountain by the muncy valley mall and the had it in their minnow tank for a couple pf weeks before the PFBC came in to check on reports of them having a large perch in a tank and made them release it or kill it because they did not have the permit to keep game fish captive.  other then this one o have got quite a few over the 15 inch mark but not bigger then 15.5 inches and countless 14 plus inchers

Any pictures of the 16 /4  and 17 inchers are do we just have to go by your word?  ;D  I mean it's only fair since you accused someone else of exaggerating.  :whistle:

I showed you my 16 1//4 complete with tape measure, you show me your big fish claims.  ;)
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #122 on: Feb 21, 2010, 07:50 PM »
taxi,

first off read a little before you say that i was talking about fishhook.  I was not.  I was talking about "out of towns" perch.  Even the guys on his home provinces forum think he is full of it, and from what i have read he is famous for giving bogus info and has been kicked off several times and comes back on different names. 

That perch you have in the avatar is a nice one and a true 16 plus incher to bad it came from a hatchery pond of yours.   I know you said that you only put a few in their for the bass you raise in the pond but you can not tell me that those perch dont eat the same food that you feed the bass, or the trout in your other ponds.  I wonder how big it will be this year if you go down to the pond and catch him agian or did you kill it to mount.  by the way it would make a great mount.   You might even be able to stretch the skin to make it a 17 incher that everbody has been wanting to see. 

If everbodys states have these gargantuan perch that are bigger than everbody elses then how comes PA seems to win just about every year.  could it be that most of the guys that clame to catch big perch  dont put tapes by there catches because they are not as big as they say (walleyewhisperers fish above in this thread......shoot i mean OUt of towns)

I will see if i have the guys email address that got the 16.25 incher and email him to see if he still gots pics around.  as far as the 17 incher goes Ill see if i can find any of the 20+ year old pics next time i go home and put them up. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #123 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:27 PM »
If everbodys states have these gargantuan perch that are bigger than everbody elses then how comes PA seems to win just about every year.

Are you kidding?  You are basing your arguement on this rinky dink Ice Panty tourney.  LMAO!!!

Lets face it, we have all come to the conclusion that just about ANY state can produce 15"-17" perch.  No argument there.  The difference is that some states are fortunate enough to have many fertile waters (not just a couple) that produce fish of this size with regularity.  Minnesota, Michigan, New York happen to fall in this category.  If someone were to travel from out of state to target BIG perch, PA probably wouldn't be on their radar.  Not saying PA doesn't have big perch, just saying it is definitely not in the upper echelon of perch destinations.  That's all.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:39 PM »
"....... a 17 incher that everbody has been wanting to see."

Not a great photo (or mount) but the last number on the tape at the front of this perch is 17".
(Image removed from quote.)

you can do just about anything on mounts...... especially if it is not a skin mount.    I meant to take a pic of a FRESHLY caught perch not a mount or some one holding one out as far as ther arms can reach for the pic. 

what are doing going around and finding all the old mounts that you know of big perch and taking pics of them....

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #125 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:40 PM »
Is that a real tape measure or a fishermans tape measure. ;D JUST KIDDING!
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Are you kidding?  You are basing your arguement on this rinky dink Ice Panty tourney.  LMAO!!!

Lets face it, we have all come to the conclusion that just about ANY state can produce 15"-17" perch.  No argument there.  The difference is that some states are fortunate enough to have many fertile waters (not just a couple) that produce fish of this size with regularity.  Minnesota, Michigan, New York happen to fall in this category.  If someone were to travel from out of state to target BIG perch, PA probably wouldn't be on their radar.  Not saying PA doesn't have big perch, just saying it is definitely not in the upper echelon of perch destinations.  That's all.

Would one of the guys that catches big numbers of perch in NY have just enough luck in PA or would a Pa person have a better chance of going somewhere that has numbers of perch and big water.  I think it would be easier to go somehwere that has more perch and bigger water than it woul be for a person use to big water to go smaller.

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #127 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:44 AM »
I guess I will have to start taking pics of all my perch catches again, and lock my incoming mail box. Just so no one thinks I just catch a few random big perch.

JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Instead of arguing over how big the perch are....why don't we just congratulate each other and pat ourselves on the back for doing our homework, with respect to our home state, and locating and catching "true Jumbos". Kudos to all! I know that Indiana grows bigguns but not nearly as many lakes as say PA or NY. Regardless, its a feat worth congrats to everyone!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #129 on: Feb 22, 2010, 05:36 PM »
taxi,

first off read a little before you say that i was talking about fishhook.  I was not.  I was talking about "out of towns" perch.  Even the guys on his home provinces forum think he is full of it, and from what i have read he is famous for giving bogus info and has been kicked off several times and comes back on different names.

Well you didn't make yourself clear when you said,

what ever name you go by now,

But it did seem like you were referring to Fishhook as I had asked him in a previous post,
So you're fishhook now?

That perch you have in the avatar is a nice one and a true 16 plus incher to bad it came from a hatchery pond of yours.   I know you said that you only put a few in their for the bass you raise in the pond but you can not tell me that those perch dont eat the same food that you feed the bass, or the trout in your other ponds.  I wonder how big it will be this year if you go down to the pond and catch him agian or did you kill it to mount.  by the way it would make a great mount.   You might even be able to stretch the skin to make it a 17 incher that everbody has been wanting to see.  

Hatchery pond? Not hardly. Yes I purchased the perch I planted into that pond at a much smaller size from a hatchery but didn't start hatching my own fish (in a totally different pond) until two years ago. I believe I caught the perch five years ago. And I did mount it. It was an anomaly just like any other record fish. No matter how much I feed my perch now (Yes I'm a hatchery now) I can't get anything to grow above 15 1/4 inches. Just feeding fish a record does not necessarily make.

No need to stretch it as it is what it is. I'm proud of it and don't care if it's not an official record. It's a personal achievement.

I will see if i have the guys email address that got the 16.25 incher and email him to see if he still gots pics around.  as far as the 17 incher goes Ill see if i can find any of the 20+ year old pics next time i go home and put them up.  

Sounds only fair. I mean if you're going to be skeptical about everyone else's fish we should be able to exercise the same right shouldn't we?  ;D

But for the record both I and Fishhook are skeptical of a people that throw around I got a 16, 17, 18 the other day just like you are. We're actually on the same channel but for some reason you seam to have  bug up your...  ;)

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #130 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:54 PM »
Well, If you look at each states records, MI wins 3lbs 12oz, then NY 3lbs 8 oz, then MN 3lbs 4 oz, then PA 2lbs. 9 oz and last but not least NJ 2lbs 6oz. 

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #131 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:11 AM »
Would one of the guys that catches big numbers of perch in NY have just enough luck in PA or would a Pa person have a better chance of going somewhere that has numbers of perch and big water.  I think it would be easier to go somehwere that has more perch and bigger water than it woul be for a person use to big water to go smaller.

Didn't realize this discussion turned into how lucky or skilled a fisherman was.  But if you insist, I disagree.  With bigger water, fish are more spread out, how is that easier? 

Jiggerman, If all you want us to do is acknowledge that you can catch perch fine  :bow: :bow: we're not worthy...  LOL

Let's get back on topic which was what states have the biggest perch.  Gambell's statistics are pretty clear.....

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #132 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:14 AM »
Ooops almost forgot:

JazzII   :bow: :bow: :bow:

Not being sarcastic, you have the knack.

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:58 AM »
This thread makes me laugh....6 pages arguing over who has the biggest pike bait.

Offline fishook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #134 on: Feb 23, 2010, 12:13 PM »
Let's get back on topic which was what states have the biggest perch.  Gambell's statistics are pretty clear.....

Actually, his stats are somewhat mistaken. This is what the records shows;
The elite states who have record perch 3 lbs or heavier are:
1) New Jersey...historical world record.....4 bs 3 oz
    No length recorded. Caught in 1865
2) Michigan.....3 lbs 12 oz.....21"...caught in 1947
3) New York....3 lbs 8 oz....no length....caught in1982
4) Maryland.....3 lbs 5 oz....16 1/4"......caught in 2006
5) South Carlolina...3 lbs 4 oz...16 1/2"...caught on 1979
6) Wisconsin....3 lbs 4 oz....no length....caught in 1952. 

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #135 on: Feb 23, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Why is the record retired?  If it is a IGFA record, why would the state retire it?

Offline bryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • jigging 4 PERCH!
« Reply #136 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:05 PM »
THESE FISH ARE ALL FROM NJ CAUGHT ON 2/2,2/3 2007 WHAT DO THINK!!(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
  very nice,, but not the  slobs

Offline slimeslopper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • that's why that call it fishin, not catching
« Reply #137 on: Feb 25, 2010, 11:40 PM »
Filet size.  nice perch, champlain has some noice ones

Offline r2rose

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice woman
« Reply #138 on: Feb 26, 2010, 08:28 AM »
PA
Where else can you get a mess like these every year?
An occasional one that size cam be caught just about anywhere.
Numbers of SLAMMER PERCH is the ticket.
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
JAZII
wow is all i can say

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #139 on: Feb 26, 2010, 08:58 AM »
Actually, his stats are somewhat mistaken. This is what the records shows;
The elite states who have record perch 3 lbs or heavier are:
1) New Jersey...historical world record.....4 bs 3 oz
    No length recorded. Caught in 1865
2) Michigan.....3 lbs 12 oz.....21"...caught in 1947
3) New York....3 lbs 8 oz....no length....caught in1982
4) Maryland.....3 lbs 5 oz....16 1/4"......caught in 2006
5) South Carlolina...3 lbs 4 oz...16 1/2"...caught on 1979
6) Wisconsin....3 lbs 4 oz....no length....caught in 1952. 

:whistle:
USE A BOBBER!

Offline bryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • jigging 4 PERCH!
« Reply #140 on: Feb 26, 2010, 05:09 PM »
great lakes perch,,,,  lake  mich 15 to 17 inchers

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #141 on: Feb 28, 2010, 07:32 AM »
NY is perchtastic...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.