New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095955 times)

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
Heard people got out on White Pond, middle branch East Branch, and Diverting in putnam.  I checked wampus and its still a no-go, found 3 inches at Mohansic but got kicked off by parks staff (lol). Also heard they dropped boyd corners and the ice is shot. Anyone been around muscoot or amawalk or cross river?

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good to see some action finally. Just a heads up K, a buddy a few years back did exactly what I see in your photo with his auger. One of his pals slipped on the ice and fell on the uncovered auger blade and ended up with over 100 stitches and nearly lost his arm. If you don't want to keep it covered at least stuff the sharp edges down inside the sled and don't leave it hanging out. Don't shoot the messenger here, my buddy will be paying off his buddies $65,000 surgery bill for the next 20 years and that is a fact!
will definitely keep that in mind thanks. Was trying to allow the sun to melt the frozen water off the blades so i could pit the cover on but i will definitely be mindful next time

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got out in Sullivan yesterday. That is the coldest my hands have been in a long time...LOL. Near Superior 8 inches managed 4 perch and 1 pickerel.

you wouldn’t  happen to have given a few guys a ride back ti there trucks with quads did you?

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heard people got out on White Pond, middle branch East Branch, and Diverting in putnam.  I checked wampus and its still a no-go, found 3 inches at Mohansic but got kicked off by parks staff (lol). Also heard they dropped boyd corners and the ice is shot. Anyone been around muscoot or amawalk or cross river?
Cross River, Gilead, West Branch, Gleneida are wide open. Guys were ice fishing off of Nichols Road on West Branch.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
On little fill? 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hello, thank you to everyone who has posted a report on ice conditions. Good to see folks have been able to get out fishing thank you for your photos and congratulations on your respective catches of fish.

I sent a letter to swan Lake Fire Dept. requesting information on this year's contest still waiting for a reply. IF I get information before contest is held will post in this thread and pass on to Raquettedacker to post in the contest/derby thread found at top of NY. General forum. Also have been searching for info. on Hurleyville Fire Dept. contest in Sullivan county all I have found so far is that they hope to have the contest sometime in February.

Restjudicata for your use and others here are phone numbers for Sterling Forest and Lake Tiorotti field office in Harriman State park. I strongly suggest everyone call before making the trip especially if traveling a good distance to reach either park.
                                          Sterling Forest Visitors Center (845)-351-5907                 Lake Tiorotti field office  Harriman St.Park (845)-351-2568

I made a visit to Winding Hills park in Orange county on Sunday the lake is still closed to ice fished /part of the lake still open water. This park has a so many inches of ice before opening policy like Sterling Forest and Harriman.Here is the phone number for park's ranger station.
                                                                                                 Winding Hills park (8450_457-4918  (off of route 17K in town of Montgomery)

Good fishing to all ,stay safe.
   Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Last I saw on fb hurlyville contest was cancelled because of covid

Unfortunately because of the Covid 19 Virus the 33rd Annual Hurleyville Fire Department Town of Fallsburg Youth Commission Ice Fishing Contest is cancelled.
We hope to have the Morningside Classic in the Spring on the first day of Bass Season Saturday, June 19, 2021

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Loudmouth879, thank you for the information on the Hurleyville Fire Dept.-Fallsburg Youth Comission ice fishing contest . I was looking at the website (www.hurleyvilleny.com) that site still has the contest being held and just waiting for a date to be set.
 Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Loudmouth879, thank you for the information on the Hurleyville Fire Dept.-Fallsburg Youth Comission ice fishing contest . I was looking at the website (www.hurleyvilleny.com) that site still has the contest being held and just waiting for a date to be set.
 Steve

The personal FB page of the person who runs it had that information .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater diehard thank you for your reply to date i have not gotten into Facebook. I do have an old promotional handout for the Hurleyville contest and was going to call one of the phone numbers listed on it if nothing had been posted on the website I mentioned by this weekend.
  Steve

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie

No sorry. I wish I had my quads with us.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Fished for about an hour and a half this morning the rod got another workout iced 26 crappies and 2 gills all on plastics too

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Patr

• IceShanty Rookie
Can someone let me know if Swinging Bridge has safe ice,
Thank you
Patr

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
I was there on Saturday, 1 guy at the fork. Not sure how much ice but the edges were a little wet. Good Luck..

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Anyone know if Lake Huntington has people fishing it?
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
DEP has closed Boyds Corners Reservoir to Ice Fishing because of unsafe ice conditions due to movement and release of water into West Branch Reservoir.

Offline Angola Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Coming from Buffalo to visit family in Putnam Valley.  Would like to fish White Pond.  Anything special I should know?  Target species?  Best bait?  Best access point?  I'll return the favor if you visit WNY.  Thanks in advance.
"I catch the fish, you cook the fish.  The only time we're together is when we eat the fish"

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Coming from Buffalo to visit family in Putnam Valley.  Would like to fish White Pond.  Anything special I should know?  Target species?  Best bait?  Best access point?  I'll return the favor if you visit WNY.  Thanks in advance.
White Pond has easy access via a fairly large parking lot. Target species would be yellow perch, pickerel, largemouth bass, and if you’re lucky a walleye on tip ups, and crappies if you can locate the schools. Pond depth ranges from shallow up to about 15 feet deep. Good luck.

Offline Gt1224

• IceShanty Rookie
Any ice report on otesgo lake yet

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Also pike at white

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any ice report on otesgo lake yet

This is the wrong thread, you probably should as on the Central NY thread.

Offline laker5911

• IceShanty Rookie
Any ice thickness reports for Big Pond?  Was hoping to get out this weekend.  Would be my first time on BP, only drove by once in the summertime.  If the parking spaces are locked up by the kiosk. Do the police give out tickets if you park along the road?   

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
6 inches 2 weeks ago. No problem parking along the road.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Angola Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thank you Coldfusion and Iceman!  Much appreciated.
"I catch the fish, you cook the fish.  The only time we're together is when we eat the fish"

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak

Last time I fished White pond, mostly all I caught were small bass on tipups. I did jig up some nice yellow perch and small walleye. It’s very popular, and tends to get a lot of attention from fisherman and local ice skaters.  DEC patrols it regularly.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
white pond parking is at the southwest corner and on the northwest side.  I haven't put much time ice fishing there but I spent a lot of time one summer kayak fishing there.  I did catch some nice panfish including crappies, perch, and pumpkin seeds - one of the biggest p-seeds I've ever caught I pulled out of there.  it's mostly overrun with small bass but there are some pickerel and there are still walleyes there I believe someone is stocking them (not the state).  biggest walleye I have caught there was 16 inches in the middle of the lake in the summer.  it is a weedy mess with not much structure, but there is a small channel running north from the dam spillway on the south end.  there is a weedy cove in the north and rockier flat in the south in front of the dam.  there is somewhat of a drop-off at the western shore and another one a bit out from shore on the eastern-northeastern side of the lake.  I would like to fish the eastern side if I were to go but you would need to put in work to find the drop-off.  most guys seem to fish the western shore towards the north side of the lake, where the drop-off is more pronounced.  the deepest part is right in the middle and it's about 15 ft which could be a good place to poke around too.  I only fished there once and my fish finder was acting weird, probably because the bottom is straight muck and dead weeds.  that place is a weedy jungle.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68052.html

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
The only thing I’ll add is be careful walking from the dock across the lake.
The ice is thinner as you go towards the shoreline away from the road.

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
Also pike at white
There are pike in white pond?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.