New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096039 times)

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking at Wurtsboro, freezing temps every day, highs in the mid thirties all but one day, I say we will have safe ice next Saturday in Sullivan.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
 Going to be windy later on today ..with cold temperatures..big lakes are going to open up more and maybe some some smaller lakes/ponds/coves could see some ice .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater diehard thank you for posting this information. It is not looking good for ice fishing contests in south eastern NY. this season. Have you passed this info. onto Raquettedacker so he can update the tournaments and derbies thread.
 Steve

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone make it out this morning thinking big pond will be my best bet tomorrow? Since im pretty confident superior is not safe

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anyone make it out this morning thinking big pond will be my best bet tomorrow? Since im pretty confident superior is not safe

LOL, The Bronx Zoo might be a better bet on a Sunday.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gamelot
Big Pond gets a little crowded on weekends? I was thinking about taking a ride up there tomorrow.

Dave

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
I can deal with crowds if its the only ice we have worth walking on the lakes new to me anyways so not expecting to fill a sled with fish just get out and play with my new tip downs and bring a friend out for her first time on ice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Mahogany Ridge Hunting & Fishing Club HIGHLAND LAKE ...SULLIVAN COUNTY

DUE TO VERY THIN ICE, THE ICE FISHING CONTEST IS CANCELLED. We are very sorry for the inconvenience! However, we we still be hosting a day of comradeship!
Our WINTER FESTIVAL will begin at 11am!
We will have food, drinks, raffles, a pig roast, horseshoes, and a red rider shooting contest for the kids!
We hope to see you all there!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2737518646331863&id=944741532276259

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
I'm starting to repeat my words in last few posts but thank you once again Hardwater diehard for updating all of us on the ice fishing contests in Sullivan county. I had a feeling the Mahogany Ridge contest would get canceled after seeing your post about King of the Ice.

Kbaez  if you will be traveling on route 17 to reach Big pond here is name and phone number for a bait shop in Livingston Manor. They may have some info. on ice conditions at Big Pond.  Also if you are using route 17 in the Livingston Manor area there are two ore lake you might want to inquire about for ice conditions.   Waneta Lake  you will pass on way to Big Pond and Mongaup Pond in Debruce .

Fur,Fin &Feathers Sport shop  (845)-439-4479  Wed.-Sat. hours 9AM-5 PM, Sun. hours 9am-3PM . If you check the DEC's website there may be maps for these two lakes and Big Pond(Delaware county)

If you will be taking the Thruway to Kingston and then Route 28 to reach Big Pond there was a bait shop called Ray's in Flieschmen,NY. (right on route 28) it has been a couple years since I've been in that area of NY. so this shop maybe out of business. Have a safe trip and good fishing to you and your partner.
  Steve

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks you for info MR. Clean

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
You are welcome happy to be of some help to you.
 Steve

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
That number doesn't seen to be in service for the bait shop

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
I'm sorry Kbaez the correct phone number is (845)-439-4476. I was at the shop in late December and was given the hours I posted from the shop owner's wife. I see the hours listed on the link provided by Hardwater diehard list shop hours as 9AM-6pm daily so everyone should definitely call before planing a trip from some distance to be sure they are open when you will be arriving in the area.

Hardwater diehard if there was a prize for South Eastern NY. member of the year you would get my vote you are a credit to this website with all the info. and help you provide to other members.
 Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I'm sorry Kbaez the correct phone number is (845)-439-4476. I was at the shop in late December and was given the hours I posted from the shop owner's wife. I see the hours listed on the link provided by Hardwater diehard list shop hours as 9AM-6pm daily so everyone should definitely call before planing a trip from some distance to be sure they are open when you will be arriving in the area.

Hardwater diehard if there was a prize for South Eastern NY. member of the year you would get my vote you are a credit to this website with all the info. and help you provide to other members.
 Steve

Everybody does their part on this site both new and old members ..and as always audience participation is key ..the members keep our sport alive ..especially in these trying weather times.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Small pond can be an option if you have the legs for a little walk. I almost always set up before sunrise on B.P. before the crowd.  I do well being set up at sunrise too.I fished a private pond in Livingston manor  on a foot of ice. I would bet Wanetta and big and small ponds have ice.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Beachwoods16 no offense but before anyone gets confused I believe the name shown on maps and the DEC website for the lake you are talking about is Little Pond not Small Pond. I would be cautious getting on Lake Waneta the parking /access spot is by the dam/outflow for the lake should be some current causing thinner ice in my humble opinion.
Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Your right little pond it is .  I was on a lake about 5 miles from Wanetta with about the same conditions. We walked on near the outflow. 4-5 inches. Wanetta is  worth a check if your on your way to Big/Little pond (from Manor). Saw guys On Wanetta during the week as well. When you get to Manor it starts getting colder. A lot of days when it is 38 in Newburgh it's 35 in Callicoon and 30 in Manor. That Fact makes a big difference..

Offline drillerjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
No good ice around Eldred

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Six to seven inches on lake Huntington today. Stopped and talked to a guy fishing and that was his guess.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Beachwoods16 the overall higher elevations of the Catskill Mountains due play a roll in ice formation usually a five degree difference in temperature between Monticello and Newburgh.
Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Beachwoods16 the overall higher elevations of the Catskill Mountains due play a roll in ice formation usually a five degree difference in temperature between Monticello and Newburgh.
Steve
You and I know it because we spend a lot of time here.  But It can be so dramatic that Lake Superior   will be open water and Mongaup Pond, Little Pond, Big Pond and the like will have 4-5 inches. Wanetta as well can beat Superior by a couple of weeks. I've been meeting  people coming out of out of Jersey and south N.Y. and P.A. who have no ice.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
This season is by no means is average ..I have watched my local lake go through numerous and various  ice conditions in a 10 day period ..good year to buy and use a spud . Some great deals on gear can be had now ..including spuds and chisels .

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This season is in fact unusual but certainly not unheard of. At almost 68 and having fished here for well over 55 years I have seen early ice before Christmas and late ice after April first. I have seen 24 inches of ice some years and had a few where we never did get to fish on over 6 inches at most places.
I always get my ice gear ready right after deer season and rarely ever store it until early April. The Jet Stream plays the biggest part in our weather. Just last week some buddies went north up to Saranac lake area to fish a few smaller ponds, Colby I think. They called me one evening while there and it was 24 degrees here and minus 23 there. Often times in the summer I leave my house in Forestburgh and it is 55 here but by the time I get to Middletown it is 65. If I go north and UP to Delaware county, Big and Little ponds it is almost always 5-8 degrees colder there. Big pond being stuck between two mountains also helps to lock that pond up sooner than many other places.
I am not a Meteorologist but I won't be packing my gear away any time real soon. We could certainly get a blast from the NW that drops down to our elevation and puts us in a late deep freeze. I think around 3 degrees on Friday night could be the coming attractions and if we get more and even colder days and nights behind it we could be fishing well into March or even April. On the other hand if we get a couple days of warm rain then the jig is up. Look back just a few years. We got pounded with over 3 feet of wet snow in early April and 2 days later we got 50 degrees and warm rains. Flooding all over this county and the road up to Big pond was washed out for weeks. Farther north by Frost Valley was 10 times worse. Don't give up just yet.

Gam

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
This season is by no means is average ..I have watched my local lake go through numerous and various  ice conditions in a 10 day period ..good year to buy and use a spud . Some great deals on gear can be had now ..including spuds and chisels .
Maybe I'll look for a lighter spud. Of course thinking of making one too.

[/quote]

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Maybe I'll look for a lighter spud. Of course thinking of making one too.
Lol go with sticks and throwing heavy rocks always a sure bet

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac

There is nothing I hate more than what you just said, "Throw Heavy Rocks". Let me know how you feel the day you drill a hole and hit one of those heavy rocks that destroys your auger blades.

I just drove up to the launch at the dam end of Toronto reservoir and sure enough, some idiots had been there tossing heavy rocks on the ice to see if it was safe. I never have met the guy who can toss a 180 pound rock out to make a real assessment.

Gam

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
 ;quote author=hardwaterhonkey link=topic=115262.msg4070050#msg4070050 date=1581538713]
[/quote] ;D

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whose going out this weekend or planning on looking for safe ice? And were you headed? Im checking out Sullivan County then moving north from there

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.